Soilless nutes

• Thread starter Hydrohelper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hydrohelper

What do you guys think is the best nute line for soilless mix. I like the House & Garden line, it offers great results and is very clean and concentrated. What do you guys like that is simple and cost effective?

mrfixit

mrfixit

Search for threads on "Jacks/J.R. Peters Hydroponic" dry ferts. With some minor tweaks this can be a very good -and- cost effective method.
Despite the politics and pricing, I've had good luck with the AN Sensi grow/bloom 2 part lines as well as with the Aurora Roots Organics lines as far as "mainstream" brands go.
In the long run, working out your own dry salts concoctions is the way to go.

mrfixit

mrfixit

What do you mean your own dry salt concoctions?
I was just referring to the generic raw minerals/"salts"/chems available in dry form that can be mixed as desired to mimic almost any bottled commercial nutes. There are some amazing detailed threads on the subject here on the farm...

The Joker

The Joker

Some of them will give you harsh and tasteless weed. You need to find the product that gives you good weed not just the cheapest product. And yes there is a difference. You sometimes get what you pay for.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Some of them will give you harsh and tasteless weed. You need to find the product that gives you good weed not just the cheapest product. And yes there is a difference. You sometimes get what you pay for.

Learning about nutrients is a wise investment that will pay dividends for a lifetime of growing anything, not just cannabis. There are lots of great threads on the farm that discuss nutrients, and this barely scratches the surface. You will quickly realize that ferts are ferts, and that you can get them a lot cheaper than buying them by the gallon at hydro stores. I run Jacks myself and I couldn't be happier.

As far as harshness? Only part of this is how to flush properly. Learn how to balance your nutes, so the plants get everything they want but not too much of it, and so you can compensate effectively for differences in strain and growing condtitions. Learn how plants absorb their nutes in various environments and media so you can improve their uptake rates and therefore yields and quality.

Tasteless? The single best thing you can add is sulphur. This is a basic building block of many of the aromas and cannabinoids we're all doing this for. Epsom salts are an excellent source of it- and magnesium, too- and it's inexpensive and widely available, as close as the pharmacy section of your local grocery. As a starting point, I would add 2mg/gallon to your nutrient solution. Dilute it well before adding to your reservoir, as sulphur and calcium love to get together, bind up and drop out of solution, creating... gypsum. Same stuff as your drywall. See? You learned something already!

Another closely related path to investigate more closely are the worlds of NON-fertilizer additives and beneficial microbes. Triacontanol is just one of thousands of these. Some nute lines have them, and some don't. Rarely is it listed on the bottle- not because they can't list it, but because they don't want to spill the beans about the details of their proprietary blends. Again, many threads on the farm offer a wealth of information about what they are, how they work, why you might- or might not- want to run them, and inexpensive sources of supply. Shameless plug: Capulator's biopaks rock!

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

i like general organics for soiless. i started a dozen king louis's in basement mix with biothrive, bio marine, bio weed, ca-mg, and diamond black. the plants were so beautiful that my god damn beagle decided to make a salad out of them.

anyways, i think i get more bud sites and better clusters if i run GO through mid flower, then switch to maxibloom and moab/hammerhead for a more hardcore ripening. i started adding 2 grams epsom to every gallon this round after bad mag problems last time.

The Joker

The Joker

I switched from GH with budswel to General Organics. Tastewise, Canna blew GH away. General Organics blew them both away.

Switching back to GH because I can't automate any organics I can find locally. Sannie's system is automatable, but I don't want to order from the netherlands.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I wish I had time to learn about nuts but can tell u that I run the line of AN nuts & couldn't be happier with the yield

Top Bottom