Solex greenhouse material

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I built a solexx greenhouse maybe five years ago. It's my only greenhouse experience though. I like the stuff, but can't help but wonder if I would get more trichomes from a different material? It seems to veg all kinds of plants great, but I'm not super impressed with the flowers. That might be because I live in a coastal climate though.
IMG 0919

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I built a solexx greenhouse maybe five years ago. It's my only greenhouse experience though. I like the stuff, but can't help but wonder if I would get more trichomes from a different material? It seems to veg all kinds of plants great, but I'm not super impressed with the flowers. That might be because I live in a coastal climate though. View attachment 432186
wow looks good to me!!!!

M

MamaBear

I used Solex 5mm on my greenhouse. It's 6 years old now and still good. It does expand/contract but I used more screws than called for and used flexible silicone caulking to seal the corners. Looks like I'll have to re-seal this Spring and some of the screws popped out from expanding.
Got auto-vents and windows for air flow, I also use a couple fans for air circulation. Had to put a swamp cooler on it last year because it gets so hot in summer. Temps were getting in the low 100's but the plants are very healthy and lovin it - they drink more water but that's to be expected. Also needed the extra moisture from the swamp cooler (instead of A/C). I'm at 5400' with 10-15% humidity most days.
Mostly, I love that the neighbors can't see what's growing in there!

S

Sativa Dom

F®Greenhouse Covering ... is a state-of-the-art material that traps heat in winter, utilizing Infrared, Ultraviolet blocking agents ... etc.

Based on what I've read to date, UV-B light definitely increases THC percentage by as much as 5%; so I'd never use a cover that completely blocks it out.

Though I haven't read this entire thread yet, I do intend to; but in the mean-time, can anyone here recommend a cover that allows UV-B light to shine through, at least in part?

S

Sativa Dom

We've used shade fabric when we lived on the San Juan Ridge in the Sierra Foothills, I can't say I ever noticed a drop in yeild or dankness. But we never ran tests either. Part of our crop was under a 30% shade cover during the heat of the day.

Sounds like you gave at least 12 hours a day, minimum of full sun light; which would account for the acute dankness.

Also we have talked for a couple of years now about running a partial shade crop or at least to filter the hot late afternoon sun, with full sun exposure before setting; on the other hand some of the most omni potent buds we've smoked came from a light dep we did here, in full sun at elevation 4250.

The uv-b at the elevation would be far more intense than at ocean level. However, uv-b wanes considerably during the winter months; which calls for supplemental uv-b lighting inside greenhouses.

At Oaksterdam, Richard Lee stated that the trichs are a form of UV block, so the more UV (to an extent of course) means more trich production or closer to genetic maximums however you want to look at it. It was the only variable we hadn't accounted for on that light dep crop, whew it was stupefying!

Possible role of ultraviolet radiation in evolution ofCannabis chemotypes | Pate (1983)
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02904200?LI=true

UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis sativa CHEMOTYPES || Lydon (1987)

A. http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://o...gguMAA&usg=AFQjCNGbHRQ28UwCT0pKzBP4-qx_RyEkcw

B.
Chemical ecology of Cannabis | Pate
https://drugs-forum.com/threads/chemical-ecology-of-cannabis.41563/

UVB UVA Study (2013) Test Results Increases Medical Marijuana Potency 3-5%
http://medicalmarijuanagrowing.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Scientific Study – The Effect of UVB on Cannabinoid Production in Cannabis Sativa | Silas Sativarius

FAQ About Solexx Greenhouses
http://www.solexx.com/solexx-faq.html

"Our specially formulated Solexx greenhouse panels are polyethylene and not polycarbonate. We manufacture the material with a special UV formulation for longevity."

I read the above to mean it blocks out virtually all uv-b light. Other than that, I really like its diffuse light factor.

Tuff-tex Translucent White FAQ
http://tuftexpanel.com/faq-tuftex-questions.shtml

TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear panels are well suited for greenhouse use because the panels transmit 89% of the PAR energy from daylight, which is very similar to clear glass.

The polycarbonate material in TUFTEX PolyCarb panels blocks UV radiation. Our test results for UV transmission are posted in the Examples on this site:--

Tuftex Panel – TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear Panels Block Ultraviolet (UV) Radiation
http://tuftexpanel.com/examples/tuftex-polycarb-clear-panels-block-ultraviolet-uv-radiation/

Within the context of sunlight, the ultraviolet spectrum is divided into three regions: long wave (UVA), medium wave (UVB) and short wave (UVC).

UVA spectrum: 315 to 400 nanometers (not absorbed by the ozone layer)UVB spectrum: 280 to 315 nanometers (partially absorbed by the ozone layer)UVC spectrum: 100 to 280 nanometers (absorbed by the ozone layer and atmosphere)

The test results for TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear panels showed that they blocked

99.8 % of UVA below 370 nanometers99.9% of UVB99.9% of UVC above 250 nanometers

In the near UV range of 370 to 400 nanometers, TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear panels have a gradual transition of blocking UV with 99.8% at 370 nm, 88.0% at 380 nm, 39.0% at 390 nm, and 16.7% at 400 nm. The transition from UV to the visible spectrum begins at 400 nm.

S

Sativa Dom

F®Greenhouse Coverings ... a state-of-the-art material that traps heat in winter, utilizing Infrared, Ultraviolet blocking agents ... etc.

Apologies for the above misquote of the brand name, "F®Greenhouse Coverings;" which should have read SOLAROOF® Greenhouse Coverings instead.

However, while fishwhistle's description implies that it blocks out uv light, the following statement implies it may actually allow some uv-a to shine through, but not the uv-b & uv-c spectrums:--

SolaRoof: "Our cover materials are quite transparent to the UV but block the shorter wave UV," (UV B & C).

... can anyone here recommend a cover that allows UV-B light to shine through, at least in part?

In answer to my own question, the F-CLEAN® Greenhouse Covering does appear to me as having some serious potential:--

F-CLEAN® Greenhouse Covering
http://www.f-clean.nl/

"A thin ETFE film, F-CLEAN®
Greenhouse Film is the preferred covering material for horticultural greenhouses as it lets in more light than glass, PE film, polycarbonate and PMMA sheets.

"By allowing maximum UV light transmission (up to 94%), F-CLEAN ensures earlier harvest of better quality fruit and vegetables and more colourful flowers."

My only concern about it, at the moment, is how transparent it may be, to the outside world of spies; or whether it blocks spying eyes from seeing what's growing inside. The website isn't very transparent about that particular point.

S

Sativa Dom

Like they often say, hindsight is 20:20 vision, so I should perhaps clarify a few potential points of confusion, in my earlier post:--

Sounds like you gave at least 12 hours a day, minimum of full sun light; which would account for the acute dankness.

It is thought (or speculated) by some very good growers that even as little as 6 hours a day of good 'uv-b' light exposure, during just the last 2 weeks of flowering, will make a significant difference in bud quality and potency; so even if your herb wasn't getting a full 12 hours of exposure, it apparently received enough to produce a superior end result.

The uv-b at that elevation would be far more intense than at ocean level. However, uv-b wanes considerably during the winter months; which calls for supplemental uv-b lighting inside greenhouses.

My main point here is that with more intense uv-b radiation, at the higher altitudes/elevations, shorter periods of daily exposure to it would likely produce results that would take much longer periods of exposure to achieve at ocean level.

My second point here (implicitly) was that even greenhouses with uv-b friendly coverings would still require supplemental uv-b lighting during the winter months, to maximize potency.

It goes without saying that coverings which block out uv-b radiation, like the Solexx and Tuftex ones, for example, require supplemental uv-b lighting all year long, regardless of seasons.

"Within the context of sunlight, the ultraviolet spectrum is divided into three regions: long wave (UVA), medium wave (UVB) and short wave (UVC)."

The SolaRoof quote (above or prior to this one) states that it blocks out the "shorter" uv wave lengths, which, as we can see here, would be the B&C wave lengths.

"The test results for TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear panels showed that they blocked 99.8 % of UVA below 370 nanometers, 99.9% of UVB, 99.9% of UVC above 250 nanometers."

My guess is that the SolaRoof uv-a spec would be very similar to the Tuftex spec stated here; i.e. blocking out "99.8 % of UV-A below 370 nanometers."

"In the near UV range of 370 to 400 nanometers, TUFTEX PolyCarb Clear panels have a gradual transition of blocking UV with 99.8% at 370 nm, 88.0% at 380 nm, 39.0% at 390 nm, and 16.7% at 400 nm. The transition from UV to the visible spectrum begins at 400 nm.

Once again, my best guess, at present, is that SolaRoof specs in this range, would be very similar to Tuftex. However, of the 3 uv spectrums, the most critical to maximizing potency (and psychoactivity) is the uv-b.

So, as stated previously, I'm personally inclined to avoid any and all coverings that block out most (if not all) uv-b. I'd be willing to compromise, though, on something that only patially blocked uv-b, but still allowed enough of it to shine through, to produce the best medicine possible.

S

Sativa Dom

F-CLEAN® Greenhouse Covering
http://www.f-clean.nl/

"A thin ETFE film, F-CLEAN® Greenhouse Film is the preferred covering material for horticultural greenhouses as it lets in more light than glass, PE film, polycarbonate and PMMA sheets.

"By allowing maximum UV light transmission (up to 94%), F-CLEAN ensures earlier harvest of better quality fruit and vegetables and more colourful flowers."

My only concern about it, at the moment, is how transparent it may be, to the outside world of spies; or whether it blocks spying eyes from seeing what's growing inside. The website isn't very transparent about that particular point.

Okay, so, I went and contacted the USA distributor for F-CLEAN® and received a reply from one Jason Garvey; and this is what he wrote back to me:

"The light transmission losses are less than 1% between diffused and clear.

"Transmission of shorter UV wavelength begins about 89% and continues up to about 93% at about [which] UV changes to visible light.

"Diffused is much better for privacy. Clear is almost imperceptible, at times. Diffused is also better for production."

Here are his contact details, if anyone's interested: [email protected]

Office:503-922-3583
Cell:503-708-7243

I'm very impressed with it, obviously, and will most likely build my G-House this spring. Size will be determined by material costs, but ideally I'd prefer to have one that is 40' x 15' as well, but might have to go smaller due to cost.

Irish063

Irish063

Read this>The unique Solexx greenhouse covering transmits 70-75 percent of the available light. Most plants only need 40 percent light to grow, but 70-80 percent available light is the optimal growing range. Even on cloudy days, your greenhouse has a pleasant, soft glow inside. The panels diffuse the light evenly throughout the greenhouse eliminating "hot spots" and shadows. Also, a bit less light transmission will help to keep your greenhouse from getting too hot during warm weather.

Check out this sight for film...
I was looking at this last year after I felt like my green house blocked out too much light. I have this-different brand, but same exact thing, https://www.amazon.com/Palram-Natur...qid=1494735164&sr=8-1&keywords=greenhouse+6x8
In hindsight I realize part of the problem was also heat. I just couldn't exhaust enough. i want to build a larger one and use this around the outside.

Top Bottom