Which ballast to go with?

• Solistek 1000w

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Phantom 1000w

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
C

cordongreen

Been going back and forth between the Solistek 1000w and the Phantom 1000w. The Phantom is more $ for what seems like less features, but also seems like the quality is slightly better?

Does it even matter that much? I'm just getting my first grow with lights set up so I'm not really sure if I'm overthinking the purchase.

I've been using this hid ballast guide and this comparison chart.

ballast_test_info_1_600px.jpg

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Get a double ended setup. Brand names don't matter a whole lot honestly.
Indoors I ran Galaxy Grow Amps on turbo mode with Sunsystem AC/DE hoods. Sold the hoods, still use the ballasts. 3yrs not a single failure and only on my second set of bulbs. DE bulbs give better yield, last longer, and are already industry standard.

There are lots of options for equipment. My best advise, don't waste money on stuff you will upgrade later.

Neter Sentra

Neter Sentra

Get the light you can afford set it up follow what people have said on this forum and rock and roll. The details are what kill grows. Just grab ahold ya nuts and go with what ya feel.

C

cordongreen

Get a double ended setup. Brand names don't matter a whole lot honestly.
Indoors I ran Galaxy Grow Amps on turbo mode with Sunsystem AC/DE hoods. Sold the hoods, still use the ballasts. 3yrs not a single failure and only on my second set of bulbs. DE bulbs give better yield, last longer, and are already industry standard.

There are lots of options for equipment. My best advise, don't waste money on stuff you will upgrade later.

Thank you, you are right I probably am focusing on the brand names too much. Appreciate the straight up advice. I will look into DE bulbs now as well!

Get the light you can afford set it up follow what people have said on this forum and rock and roll. The details are what kill grows. Just grab ahold ya nuts and go with what ya feel.

Good call, easy to overthink this : )

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
Phantom for the win.hooked to an autopilot controller they're amazing.ballasts mount outside of the room,no ceiling issues.you can even place your hand on the backside of the reflector and there's no heat.

C

cordongreen

Phantom for the win.hooked to an autopilot controller they're amazing.ballasts mount outside of the room,no ceiling issues.you can even place your hand on the backside of the reflector and there's no heat.
Outside of the room ballast would be sick. And I gotta look into those controllers ;)

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
All ballast can be mounted outside the room except the Gavita style lol. No plus for Phantoms there. Phantom was the best, about 10yrs ago.....now it's just a name.......
I'm talking about the "gavita style",sorry

Last edited:
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

I'm talking about the "gavita style",sorry
Still no advantage there for the price. You can buy a $40 DE Adjustawing off eBay and pair it with a $120 DE capable ballast. Throw in a Solistec 1000w de bulb $80.

Then BAM for under $250 you have a badass de setup with a better light pattern vs $450+ on the phantom......

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
Still no advantage there for the price. You can buy a $40 DE Adjustawing off eBay and pair it with a $120 DE capable ballast. Throw in a Solistec 1000w de bulb $80.

Then BAM for under $250 you have a badass de setup with a better light pattern vs $450+ on the phantom......
so is that what you run?

Top Bottom