Solo Cup Christmas Tree: Who's In?!?

• Thread starter SadBadGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Thanks! I can grow just about anything but hydrangeas. Never could figure them out and I got tired of spending money on new plants. I have one more left that my mom gave me and I really hope it comes up this spring. If it does, I’m going to take cuttings from it so I have more since I seem to kill them off pretty fast 😂
I'm not sure where you live but if you are zone 6 on up you can take some of that 2x4inch fencing from a hardware or farm store and stake poles around your hydrangea plant, wrap the fence around it and line it with burlap and fill it with hardwood leaves like oak not maple, and let it sit until you normally don't have to worry about frost. Remove the leaves carefully so you dont damage your tender bud sprouts and it will be loaded with flowers. I'm in zone 6 and I have done it a couple years and I would only get a couple flowers on my regular old school hydrangea if I didn't. The first time I did it my neighbor was asking how i had so many blooms and all different shades of blue, purple to pink lol TBH its a PIA but rewarding. I haven't done it last year. Now my OCD is focused on berries lmao. It went from heirloom tomatoes, to watermellon to hydrangea, to clematis vines to blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Lol now it IS WEE WEE WEEEEEED! 🤣 but I truly believe you will succeed if you do what I told you with the hydrangea. Beautiful plants. My blackberries are like most of my hydrangea now...bloom on new and old wood. Awesome! I will show a picture with and without protection.
IMG 20170610 073156515 HDR
IMG 20170610 073156515 HDR

Here are some of my others I have and some have died as a result of not bringing my planter in the garage. 1st is Ms Saori. Beautiful one.

This Ms Saori died but I have 2 others in the ground lol

I have many many more pictures of my different flowers lol

Seraphine

Seraphine

I'm not sure where you live but if you are zone 6 on up you can take some of that 2x4inch fencing from a hardware or farm store and stake poles around your hydrangea plant, wrap the fence around it and line it with burlap and fill it with hardwood leaves like oak not maple, and let it sit until you normally don't have to worry about frost. Remove the leaves carefully so you dont damage your tender bud sprouts and it will be loaded with flowers. I'm in zone 6 and I have done it a couple years and I would only get a couple flowers on my regular old school hydrangea if I didn't. The first time I did it my neighbor was asking how i had so many blooms and all different shades of blue, purple to pink lol TBH its a PIA but rewarding. I haven't done it last year. Now my OCD is focused on berries lmao. It went from heirloom tomatoes, to watermellon to hydrangea, to clematis vines to blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Lol now it IS WEE WEE WEEEEEED! 🤣 but I truly believe you will succeed if you do what I told you with the hydrangea. Beautiful plants. My blackberries are like most of my hydrangea now...bloom on new and old wood. Awesome! I will show a picture with and without protection.
View attachment 953123View attachment 953123View attachment 953124
Here are some of my others I have and some have died as a result of not bringing my planter in the garage. 1st is Ms Saori. Beautiful one.
View attachment 953125
This Ms Saori died but I have 2 others in the ground lol
View attachment 953126
I have many many more pictures of my different flowers lol
Jealous of those healthy hydrangeas! Good job!

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Jealous of those healthy hydrangeas! Good job!
You can have success man. Just treat them like weed lol a lot of compost mixed in your hole maybe some triple super phosphate and unlike weed you want soil consistantly moist but not saturated for the first season or two. One more thing to help with success is don't plant them facing south or on S. Side of your house unless you have shade from late afternoon sun in like from an oak tree or something. I do have them and clematis on all four sides of my house. South side is a bitch for hydrangea lol

Top Bottom