Solo cups straight to final 4 gallon pots

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dean1963

I see most of you go from solo cups to 1 gallon pots to final pots.
Is there some reason I can't skip the 1 gallon.?
Going to do photos in FFOF next grow.
Thanks

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Thanks

You can but it's not always recommended. The problem with going to a pot bigger than the plant can use is you usually end up with stagnant water in the soil/medium/whatever that turns into a breeding ground for pathogens. These plants like steady periods of wet and dry to oxygenate the root zone, so the closer the pot size is to the actual root-ball size, the better.

So basically if you go larger than needed, it makes watering/feeding more complicated, and increases the risk of root rot and other root zone issues. This is especially true for those of us who still mainly use hard pots. If you're using fabric pots or pots with a lot of airflow, this issue becomes less.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Thanks
Yes you can. But the reason for the smaller 1g is to help develop a healthy root ball. They do better overall by up potting rather than a solo straight to a large pot. Auto flowers are somewhat an exception to up potting. Plant those in their final home to start.

D

dean1963

awesome guys, thanks once again.
newb here just trying to learn.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

ii rock solo straight to number 5 nursery pots and it works like a charm. Even done like 3x3 straight into a 5 with no problems. IMO i think that multiple transplants is multipule times you risk messing up your plant and its roots not to mention the 5-7 days it takes to recover EVERY time you do so. Also for starting lots of bulk it cuts down on time, less pots less transplanting more time saved. Whats your set up?

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
If you do go straight to the bigger pots, I would water them in slowly like misting slow. It’ll take awhile but it will keep the medium loamy and not as compact. I’d do the 1 gallons if you can though

Top Bottom