Soma style box

• Thread starter SweetIslandFunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SweetIslandFunk

I am just a little curious on the soma style box. I couldn't find a direct link on google with any specifics. but from what I under stand its a grow bed with hydro pellets on the bottom and tubes coming up out? and this is for better drainage? I am kinda lost, has anyone use a soma style box? what kind of difference does it make, what were the results? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
SIFunk

true grit

true grit

Nice link!!! I have been designing some beds for my room, and like the air layering and pvc...nice. Might give one a go!

S

SkyHi

Soma puts hydroton at the bottom and a BIG pvc pipe down to that level and then fills it with soil, the pipe provides air to the root zone. He talks about it on his site.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
I bought his book a few years ago and built my box according to the specifications he spells out. This is particularly effective if, as he shows you in his book, you are going to plant many plants at the same time with a relatively short veg time.

In other words, you probably wouldn't want to grow trees in this set up, as I did, because it limits the number of plants you can use; I only planted four; one reason was because any more than that would have deprived those four of the necessary light they needed.

In either case, as Soma states," you'll never go back to pots"...truely outstanding results..almost impossible to overwater..naturally the strain you chose will have a determining factor on your yield, however, I'm certain you'll enjoy using Soma's setup.

Peace

D

Dan K

"In either case, as Soma states," you'll never go back to pots"...truely outstanding results..almost impossible to overwater..naturally the strain you chose will have a determining factor on your yield, however, I'm certain you'll enjoy using Soma's setup."

funny thing is now he grows in bubble buckets using botanicare... bioponics he call it???

soma's book was the 1st book i bought when learning to grow... i built one of his beds, great results... i even tried to copy soil recipe but fell short, some things are just not available here...

H

heater

Growmaster has some nice soma style grow beds that might be of intrest.
Here is 1 he did for a friend in a tent.

And his grow diary..which got me interested in the bed style..

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
That's correct evertking, no drain holes, only 3" pvc in the corners of the box that basically allows for evaporation and air...technically one could overwater if one was to go nuts and dump a ton a water into the box. On the other hand there is, as the plans s discribe, a basin in the bottom that keeps the roots from sitting in water etc...plants go bonkers in this set up as Garden of Greams described as well as Dan K. It's a nice set up, plain and simple.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I used soma's boxes for years with great results. Here are some modifications to consider if your going to use raised beds though....

-instead of making wood boxes, i'd go with the botanicare 115 gallon reservoirs. you can clean and sterilize these after each run, they're stackable, lightweight and won't rot or mold like wood boxes will over time. trust me from experience here wood boxes suck!
-cut multiple drain holes, so you can flush your medium. make sure your drains have screens otherwise they will clog
-consider using coco instead of soil.
-run drip emitter lines so you can automate watering.

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like a very viable and interesting alternative with intriging benefits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom