Some advice please!

• Thread starter Mjensen411
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mjensen411

Hi have just transplanted some clones in rock wool into soil and I recently watered my plants with straight RO water (accidentally filled water container from wrong Rez) noticed they started drooping and showing signs of cal n mag def. pretty sure I stripped em of some ,adding to the transplant shock from the day before undoubtably.....my question is....how do I replenish with cal mag without overwatering my soil?? Or what’s the best way to deal with situation they are drooping and I can vaguely see signs of yellowing coming on......any advice is appreciated.......

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Going from rockwool (no nutrients) to soil (environment with nutrients naturally) is highly unlikely to cause a deficiency. How big are the rockwool blocks? Are they just starter cubes? Have you given them any nutrients to this point? What is the brand of soil you are using?

You are likely just seeing some transplant shock. Do not over water but give them a few days to recover, they likely will and will begin growing normally after a short adjustment period.

M

Mjensen411

Going from rockwool (no nutrients) to soil (environment with nutrients naturally) is highly unlikely to cause a deficiency. How big are the rockwool blocks? Are they just starter cubes? Have you given them any nutrients to this point? What is the brand of soil you are using?

You are likely just seeing some transplant shock. Do not over water but give them a few days to recover, they likely will and will begin growing normally after a short adjustment period.

hey! Thanks for the reply! The reason I am thinking I have stripped the is because I watered with straight RO and I read that it can strip them of cal n mag faster than we can catch .........so they are 2x2 rockwool healthy white roots before transplant showing through, using Black Magic soil haven’t added any nutes at all yet just watered them........I purchased them from a shop and was told they are ready for planting ...I havenot had this problem before but the symptoms look as if it was stripped of cal n mag so naturally Ifiguredit was the RO

M

Mjensen411

here are a couple pics

koba

koba

If I see correctly y got humidifiers inside? Take it out.
Under what light are they? Hps?
I

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hey! Thanks for the reply! The reason I am thinking I have stripped the is because I watered with straight RO and I read that it can strip them of cal n mag faster than we can catch .........so they are 2x2 rockwool healthy white roots before transplant showing through, using Black Magic soil haven’t added any nutes at all yet just watered them........I purchased them from a shop and was told they are ready for planting ...I havenot had this problem before but the symptoms look as if it was stripped of cal n mag so naturally Ifiguredit was the RO
RO will not strip cal and mag from the plant.

You have transplant shock then you over watered. This will stop nutrient uptake and that's why you will see deficiencies. Let them dry out.

When transplanting it much easier on the plant to increase humidity to 70-75% for 2-3 days this will help reduce transplant shock by relieving the demand on the root system. The soil you transplant into should have enough moisture to avoid having to water for a couple days but not saturated as to create over watering conditions.

Just my opinion.

M

Mjensen411

You have transplant shock then you over watered. This will stop nutrient uptake and that's why you will see deficiencies. Let them dry out.

When transplanting it much easier on the plant to increase humidity to 70-75% for 2-3 days this will help reduce transplant shock by relieving the demand on the root system. The soil you transplant into should have enough moisture to avoid having to water for a couple days but not saturated as to create over watering conditions.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion man!!!! I will def lettem dry out !!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

You may want to try giving them a light foliar feeding with some kelp. I would personally either turn that light down a bit or raise it higher.

M

Mjensen411

1. RO will not strip cal and mag from the plant.

Just my opinion
    [*]

[*]

Just my opinion.
im almost certain I didn’t overwater......I noticed rock wool dried so I wet it and leaves perked up a bit do u think I under watered??? And everywhere I read it is saying plain RO will strip any plant as it is pure water itself if there aren’t any additives in it........I noticed in black magic soil it gets heavy when I water , what is your opinion on bottom watering,?? ...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

im almost certain I didn’t overwater......I noticed rock wool dried so I wet it and leaves perked up a bit do u think I under watered??? And everywhere I read it is saying plain RO will strip any plant as it is pure water itself if there aren’t any additives in it........I noticed in black magic soil it gets heavy when I water , what is your opinion on bottom watering,?? ...
Looking back at the pic yes it's entirely possible it was under watered. They look the same except under watered the leaves don look swollen and the stems tend to droop also so yes that sounds about right.

RO will not strip nutrients from the plant.... And 1 watering would not be enough to impact it to the point of deficiency.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

You are reading about hydro systems, if you keep plants roots in RO water for an extended period of time it may pull nutrients out of the plant. In soil the plant roots are comstantly surrounded by nutrients and minerals and therefore their equilibrium still retains nutrients and minerals.

All soil will get heavier when you water it, you are adding the weight of the water. But it’s not the weight immediately after you water, but give it an hour or two to check the weight of the pot.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Black Magic soil seems to be very hot. I tried it one time and most of the transplanted starts didn't make it. It looked like the roots burned up. This was the only time I ever had an issue with rooted clones going into soil. Never again. I don't care for their nutes either. Way too hot. If you are using it, start at 1/4 recommended.
If you're getting Black Magic soil from Home Depot, switch to their Sunshine Mix #4. It is close to Promix.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You are reading about hydro systems, if you keep plants roots in RO water for an extended period of time it may pull nutrients out of the plant. In soil the plant roots are comstantly surrounded by nutrients and minerals and therefore their equilibrium still retains nutrients and minerals.

All soil will get heavier when you water it, you are adding the weight of the water. But it’s not the weight immediately after you water, but give it an hour or two to check the weight of the pot.
I have to disagree here. It does not pull nutrients out of the plant. This has been said for humans as well and by leeching they mean that there is less calcium and magnesium going in but with bodily processes still continuing these nutrients are still being excreted through say urine for example when not enough minerals are being consumed the body will pull nutrients from storage and use them. It's not the RO water pulling them out it's the lack of minerals being put in. Now I would like to add that these amounts removed on a overall scale are pretty small and it's more of an accumulation over time issue.

Yes RO will lead to deficiency but it's not because they pull nutrients out of the plants it's because just like any other deficiency there is not enough being taken up for some reason or another to complete the processes necessary for growth.

Last edited:
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I have to disagree here. It does not pull nutrients out of the plant. This has been said for humans as well and by leeching they mean that there is less calcium and magnesium going in but with bodily processes still continuing these nutrients are still being excreted through say urine for example when not enough minerals are being consumed the body will pull nutrients from storage and use them. It's not the RO water pulling them out it's the lack of minerals being put in. Now I would like to add that these amounts removed on a overall scale are pretty small and it's more of an accumulation over time issue.

Yes RO will lead to deficiency but it's not because they pull nutrients out of the plants it's because just like any other deficiency there is not enough being taken up for some reason or another to complete the processes necessary for growth.
So something to keep in mind here is that cells are always looking for equilibrium, in this case we are looking at the water and compounds within the individual cells. If the root cells are constantly surrounded by only H2O the cells will release salts from within the cells to create that equilibrium around the root cells. This process does not occur quickly so in the case of top feedings that go drain to waste this will virtually never be an issue. In the case of DWC it may become more of a problem.

So just for full disclosure I have never been afraid to apply plain distilled or RO water to plants, but then again I have been predominantly a soil grower so my roots have always had buffer around them. I am not trying to make people afraid of using pure H2O, it is a great tool and I love it. Just laying out things as I have learned them.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I thought stripping of Calcium was only if you used Distilled water ?
I use RO and never saw anything like that.

Top Bottom