Some plants have little spots missing

• Thread starter Treeonefive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Treeonefive

So I have my outdoor set up on a drip system with a 55gallon drum. I have been having it water twice a week..Monday morning for 3 mins and Thursday night for 3 mins. I haven’t been here in two weeks and some of the plants hate little spots arhat are missing on the leafs up and down some plants. Water with phd water at 6.5 and the dirt is a mix of roots lush and roots green fields and I little of the dirt here. The soils I am using I am not supposed to need nutrients until early mid flower so they say. Let me know what y’all think.cal mag def? Or is it the bug it took a pic of and killed?

Some plants have little spots missing
Some plants have little spots missing 2
Some plants have little spots missing 3
Some plants have little spots missing 4
Some plants have little spots missing 5
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Insects

I had some of that happening to my outside plants. My suggestion is to use an OMRI rated bioside/insecticide. I doubt very seriously your automatic watering system or plant nutrition is the cause. It looks like some insects are munching.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It's definitely munching, and could easily be thrips. A quick internet search came up with this:

How do you get rid of thrips?

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGxsR0RQQtPpuU-HdH2jCYvSS-AKId3Sc7ykAIx_F2Tg&s
Get thrips off the leaves of outdoor plants with a blast of water from the hose. Focus on the underside of leaves where they gather. For indoor plants, apply a solution of soap and water on leaves with a spray bottle. Mix 2 teaspoons of dish soap with a gallon of water and saturate all parts of the infested plant.

The nice thing about this treatment is it will work for a number of your garden variety insect pests.

T

Treeonefive

Thank you. I’m going to spray them with this mammoth cannacontrol stuff tonight and hopefully that helps.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Also to help control other bugs... get a piece of copper flashing and wrap it around the stock... catapillars slugs and insects like that get shocked when moving over copper... prevents them from crawling upward to the good stuff they want

FlyinEagle

FlyinEagle

Leaf hopper damage. Mine have it too. But it isnt getting worse. The burdock leaves nearby are completely covered in the same small brown spots so they prefer burdocks over cannabis.

A

AliFee

It's definitely munching, and could easily be thrips. A quick internet search came up with this:

How do you get rid of thrips?

Image result for what are thrips
Get thrips off the leaves of outdoor plants with a blast of water from the hose. Focus on the underside of leaves where they gather. For indoor plants, apply a solution of soap and water on leaves with a spray bottle. Mix 2 teaspoons of dish soap with a gallon of water and saturate all parts of the infested plant.

The nice thing about this treatment is it will work for a number of your garden variety insect pests.

A

AliFee

I have thrips (indoor plants) and purchased Ortho BUG BGONECO and does not seem to be working. I think I was too late for almost all my little ladies; my two big girls are fighting the good fight but a lot of leaves "inside the canopy" have died although the majority of the leaves look okay--some are munched (sucked), some have discoloration which I believe is due to spraying them the lights and burning them. Ive got a bunch of fly glue traps which are doing pretty well. Outside on my Asiatic Lilies I use dishsoap/water mixture--as well as for my ongoing late night earwig massacre but I was unsure about using it on my girls as I cannot seem to see any of the little buggers but the damage is there and the glue traps have a good number of thrips stuck to them--so I added 8 more. A friend of mine, years ago, used to do something when she got spider mites on houseplants which included showering them.

HELP!!!! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY BIG GIRLS .... I THINK IT'S TOO LATE FOR MY LITTLE CLONES
20220731 074839

20220731 074705
20220731 074723
20220731 074756
20220731 074542
20220731 074616
20220731 074608
freezeland2

freezeland2

I have thrips (indoor plants) and purchased Ortho BUG BGONECO and does not seem to be working. I think I was too late for almost all my little ladies; my two big girls are fighting the good fight but a lot of leaves "inside the canopy" have died although the majority of the leaves look okay--some are munched (sucked), some have discoloration which I believe is due to spraying them the lights and burning them. Ive got a bunch of fly glue traps which are doing pretty well. Outside on my Asiatic Lilies I use dishsoap/water mixture--as well as for my ongoing late night earwig massacre but I was unsure about using it on my girls as I cannot seem to see any of the little buggers but the damage is there and the glue traps have a good number of thrips stuck to them--so I added 8 more. A friend of mine, years ago, used to do something when she got spider mites on houseplants which included showering them.

HELP!!!! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY BIG GIRLS .... I THINK IT'S TOO LATE FOR MY LITTLE CLONESView attachment 1266644
All should be tossed in to a burn pit

FlyinEagle

FlyinEagle

All that stress will turn them hermaphrodite even if they did pull through.

strider26554

strider26554

while i see thrip damage , all of that is not thrips...its mites,,and its a bad infeststation.

mancorn

mancorn

Kind of confusing with pictures from different grows. The OPs (first post) damage is not thrip which is tiny white spots that look very similar to mites. They’re super easy to see with a loop.

The small circular holes grouped together are leafhoppers. They’re easy to spot if you spend any time hanging in the garden. The leaf damage is cosmetic, but they do carry various diseases that infect your plants. Hard to really spray for them as they’ll just fly away to a neighboring plant and come back the next day. They’re all over the place and not limited to cannabis. I’d hand pick, but have never had a population do serious damage. (I think the real problems happen to woody (trees) and perennials that die form the various virus diseases, as opposed to annuals like weed.)

The large holes are probably slugs or grasshoppers. I’d lean towards a flying insect as no reason for a slug/snail to crawl up to the top leaves to snack, where as the grasshoppers fly around and land on the upper leaves. Either way, not a huge issue unless they really get out of hand.

When you’re growing outside there’s going to be bugs, and no way to erratic them as they’re in your neighbors yards, in the forest, everywhere. Some like mites and worms can really fuck you if they get established and you really need to be proactive. It’s primary just a learning curve to find out what the serious problem pest are in your area and work to knock them down. If they’re all over the plant, it’s a problem. But if the damage is localized don’t stress every leaf chomp.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Kind of confusing with pictures from different grows. The OPs (first post) damage is not thrip which is tiny white spots that look very similar to mites. They’re super easy to see with a loop.

The small circular holes grouped together are leafhoppers. They’re easy to spot if you spend any time hanging in the garden. The leaf damage is cosmetic, but they do carry various diseases that infect your plants. Hard to really spray for them as they’ll just fly away to a neighboring plant and come back the next day. They’re all over the place and not limited to cannabis. I’d hand pick, but have never had a population do serious damage. (I think the real problems happen to woody (trees) and perennials that die form the various virus diseases, as opposed to annuals like weed.)

The large holes are probably slugs or grasshoppers. I’d lean towards a flying insect as no reason for a slug/snail to crawl up to the top leaves to snack, where as the grasshoppers fly around and land on the upper leaves. Either way, not a huge issue unless they really get out of hand.

When you’re growing outside there’s going to be bugs, and no way to erratic them as they’re in your neighbors yards, in the forest, everywhere. Some like mites and worms can really fuck you if they get established and you really need to be proactive. It’s primary just a learning curve to find out what the serious problem pest are in your area and work to knock them down. If they’re all over the plant, it’s a problem. But if the damage is localized don’t stress every leaf chomp.
Fortunately there are a decent selection of OMRI approved Natural pesticides (biocides) that can help ward off many of the diseases these insects can carry. Outdoors, preventative measures will go along way towards having a successful grow. There are many brands out there. Southern Ag makes a Garden Friendly Fungicide. Werner products are pretty good. Neem oil. The idea is to build up the plant's natural defenses using microbes prior to flowering. Many of these products, especially those that contain Neem oil, will change the taste of the flower in an undesirable way. So don't use them on flowering plants.

Disclaimer: Southern Ag claims the product can be used right up to the day of picking. I would want to hear cannabis growers feedback before I would accept that as "golden."

Edit: I forgot this part. Indoors, there's not much in the line of natural predators. I would seriously consider complete destruction of all plants, followed by a thorough cleaning/disinfecting and finished with a thorough pesticide application prior to starting any new indoor grow.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Fortunately there are a decent selection of OMRI approved Natural pesticides (biocides) that can help ward off many of the diseases these insects can carry. Outdoors, preventative measures will go along way towards having a successful grow. There are many brands out there. Southern Ag makes a Garden Friendly Fungicide. Werner products are pretty good. Neem oil. The idea is to build up the plant's natural defenses using microbes prior to flowering. Many of these products, especially those that contain Neem oil, will change the taste of the flower in an undesirable way. So don't use them on flowering plants.

Disclaimer: Southern Ag claims the product can be used right up to the day of picking. I would want to hear cannabis growers feedback before I would accept that as "golden."

Edit: I forgot this part. Indoors, there's not much in the line of natural predators. I would seriously consider complete destruction of all plants, followed by a thorough cleaning/disinfecting and finished with a thorough pesticide application prior to starting any new indoor grow.
I’m no expert, but pretty sure the bacterium carried by the leaf hoppers isn’t controllable by any fungicides. But as mentioned I’ve also never heard of cannabis having curly top or big bud (tomatoes) or any of the fruit tree diseases that are carried by the hoopers. So I don’t think of them as a “problem” in cannabis grows, just that you don’t want them around in your garden in general.

Same with the grasshoppers. I have then around, but never had a locust swam or had then so abundant that I couldn’t just squish em. That said, I’ve seen the locust (and volcano) videos so sure it’s different in other places. I always laugh at my states cannabis “LEGAL PEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES Department of Pesticide FOR CANNABIS GROWERS” and the solution for bears. Yeah I guess it can be a problem.

E4564B3D D177 4954 8B9A 6CB7774B4011

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Had any black bear infestations lately?

I don't claim to be an expert on what every product will treat and its quite possible you're right about leaf hoppers. However, the more important point that I was trying to make was a good PM program (preventative maintenance program) goes a long way in having a successful outdoor grow.

I'll immediately add black bear infestation to my list of possible cannabis problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom