Some unknown problem by a new grower.

• Thread starter Moatsy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Moatsy

Hello, this is a purple punch pheno by Barney’s farms. It has some sort of, I believe to be, a deficiency. I’ve grown this strain by this same breeder before without issue. The only thing that has changed is my brand of growing medium. My pH of the soil is currently unknown. I pH my water to 6.8 every time I water. I’ve fed fox farms nutrients twice and have stopped the feeding schedule a week ago and have been using plain water since. The symptoms seems to keep worsening. The temp in the tent stays 75 F with an RH% of 55-60

Some unknown problem by a new grower
Some unknown problem by a new grower 2
Anthem

Anthem

Hello, this is a purple punch pheno by Barney’s farms. It has some sort of, I believe to be, a deficiency. I’ve grown this strain by this same breeder before without issue. The only thing that has changed is my brand of growing medium. My pH of the soil is currently unknown. I pH my water to 6.8 every time I water. I’ve fed fox farms nutrients twice and have stopped the feeding schedule a week ago and have been using plain water since. The symptoms seems to keep worsening. The temp in the tent stays 75 F with an RH% of 55-60
What is the make up of your soil?
Have you amended it with anything?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Did you top dress with sand or is it a dry amendment of some kind?

M

Moatsy

What is the make up of your soil?
Have you amended it with anything?
It is just all purpose potting soil from gardenscape. Ingredients: organic compost
Peat humus
Sand
Composted and aged softwood bark fines
Perlite.
I added a layer of sand on top to help prevent fungus gnats, which I always end up with at some point.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Yes top dressed with sand to keep gnats from imbedding until soil
It’s what I thought. Are they a current problem? Their larva could be eating your roots. The gnats themselves are not an issue, it’s their larva to worry.

M

Moatsy

It’s what I thought. Are they a current problem? Their larva could be eating your roots. The gnats themselves are not an issue, it’s their larva to worry.
At this time, I’m not seeing gnats other than the typical one or two that fly around the room. I just used sand as a future deterrent

freezeland2

freezeland2

At this time, I’m not seeing gnats other than the typical one or two that fly around the room. I just used sand as a future deterrent
There is probably better soil. Personally I grow organic and don’t use nutrients so I’m not going to be much more help. Anthem who asked about the medium is a very knowledgeable grower. Hopefully he can help you more.

Anthem

Anthem

You are not alone with the problems you are having. TBH this is going to be a challenge but can be cured.
#1. The potting mix or the Fox Farm caused the issues
#2. You need to do a slurry test and get some numbers for EC and PH. There is a problem with the soil or amending the soil with fox farms nutrients. People are on this site constantly with issues using that nutrient line.
#3. Do a search using the search feature at the top of the page and look up slurry test and you should be able to find a description of exactly how to do it. As mentioned this is either your soil or the Fox Farms. I suspect the soil.
If you take a look at the plant, it is eating the lower leaves to feed the smaller new green leaves. It is just trying to survive.
In the future you will be better served by using a soil mix specifically for Cannabis. Your problem pops up on this site about once a week.
If it was my grow, I would just go get some Fox Farms Ocean Fox and start over. By the time that plant is healthy, a new plant will be about the same size.

M

Moatsy

You are not alone with the problems you are having. TBH this is going to be a challenge but can be cured.
#1. The potting mix or the Fox Farm caused the issues
#2. You need to do a slurry test and get some numbers for EC and PH. There is a problem with the soil or amending the soil with fox farms nutrients. People are on this site constantly with issues using that nutrient line.
#3. Do a search using the search feature at the top of the page and look up slurry test and you should be able to find a description of exactly how to do it. As mentioned this is either your soil or the Fox Farms. I suspect the soil.
If you take a look at the plant, it is eating the lower leaves to feed the smaller new green leaves. It is just trying to survive.
In the future you will be better served by using a soil mix specifically for Cannabis. Your problem pops up on this site about once a week.
If it was my grow, I would just go get some Fox Farms Ocean Fox and start over. By the time that plant is healthy, a new plant will be about the same size.
I can do that. I’ve got a dark phoenix seedling up right now still in seed starter soil. I’ll probably keep the purple punch just to experiment on. Can I use a surfactant to flush the soil and then reintroduce nutrients and such to the medium to maybe get things back on track?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You can flush about 10 gallons of clean pH to 6.5 water thru it, but that's not going to solve it. Your soil is toxic to cannabis.

FF is not what it used to be. We use this:
LUSH

If you want to feed the plant yourself, then go ProMix with perlite.

M

Moatsy

You can flush about 10 gallons of clean pH to 6.5 water thru it, but that's not going to solve it. Your soil is toxic to cannabis.

FF is not what it used to be. We use this:
LUSH

If you want to feed the plant yourself, then go ProMix with perlite.
I just repotted to take a look at the roots, roots were nice and white. No pests. I switched over to plain Jane a big “no-no” miracle gro soil. I added some soil microbes and now I’ll just wait to see if it lives or dies. Thank you for the help!

Top Bottom