SOS - Water only soil help.

• Thread starter Zspot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zspot

Hey anyone willing and able to help a guy out!

I really want to build a living organic soil. No more measuring out the Fox Farm trio. I just want to water my plants and watch them thrive in their little ecosystem.

I currently live in a developing nation. A tiny little island in the Caribbean. While we do have a lot of things here, I can't run to a garden center or anything like that. I have been trying to find a way to use what I have available to me to mix up something that resembles some of the popular recipes here, but I am struggling.

My hope is that I can show what I have access to, and some of you more experienced folks may be able to come up with something that could work (either water only, or at least water only "most" of the time.

Please note:
-I am working in a small DIY tent in my bedroom (smell and size matter).
-My wife is fine with short term bad smells, but not long term.
-I am going 12/12 from 3 weeks to keep plants as small as possible.
-I'm nearly out of pH up, pH down, and test strips - none of which I have been able to find on island

Here is what I have available:

Base:
Black Gold Natural & Organic Potting Soil Plus Fertilizer
Fox Farms Original Planting Mix
Pro-Mix BX Mycorrhizae
Coco Coir - forgot which brand name

Hoffman horticulture perlite
Vermiculite - forgot which brand

Dry Nutrients:
Natures Solution Sea Kelp
Natures Care Organic Blood Meal
Espoma Organic Earthworm Castings
Encap earthworm castings
Roots Organic Seabird Guano
Jobes Organics All Purpose and Vegetable and Tomato
Espoma Urea

Liquid Nutrients:
Fox Farm Trio (not what I want)
Alaska Fish Fertilizer
Neptune's Harvest Tomato and Veg (not organic)
Neptune's Harvest Organic Seaweed Plant Food 0-0-1

Hydrated Lime
No Rock Dust

I also live by the ocean, so could potentially harvest kelp? I don't know what I would do with it when I was done. Finally, I am getting to know the family that runs the local organic farm on the island. They are Rastas, and I have chatted with them about growing. They will hook me up with some of their compost/personal soil blend, but they are worried about how it will perform on a grow in a potted plant. They grow outdoors (which is technically illegal here, so I can't do it).

If anybody can think of something that will work, I would appreciate you for the rest of my life. Worst case scenario, I'll have to find someone traveling back to the sates soon and make them bring me some pH up/down and test strips so that I can resume my Fox Farms Trio growing.

Thank you so much!

Top Bottom