Soul Crushing Virus

• Thread starter Moses249
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Moses249

After extensive research of nearly every TMV thread posted, and any other material I can find on the subject, I am crafting a theory to explain the inexplicable problems I have been experiencing.

Briefly, I have a healthy amount of experience cultivating medical marijuana and have been baffled by problems that I am now beginning to suspect are TMV or some other style virus. I grow hydro ebb and flow with hydroton.

I recently loaded my flower room a 20x20 space with a bunch of healthy vigorous bright green plants. Shortly thereafter as explained in my paranormal post my plants began to have a wide variety of bleaching, browning, rusting, yellowing, limping, and eventually dying off of lower fan leaves with the symptoms progressing upwards. The leaves develop severe necrosis that comes in a wide variety of positions, colors shades, and eventually must be removed. I am pretty OCD about growing and am an equipment junkie. Subsequently, many of the common explanations for these issues can be ruled out.

I monitor my temperature and humidity every 24 hours, recording max and mins. All my reservoirs are monitored by blue lab constant 3 in 1 read-out ph and ppm sensors. My ph is always between 5.5-6.2. And my PPM's are 1000 on the x70 scale. My temperature never cracks 82 daytime and stays around 73 night time. I vigilantly monitor my pumps to make sure there aren't any issues with the tables not getting water. My co2 runs at 1100 ppm during the day and I pump in fresh air at night to make sure my night time ppm's never go over 600. I also sacrificed two plants that were afflicted by this condition to examine their root system and stems and did not find any visual proof of stem rot or other root problems. Additionally I have done what I usually do with plants that are struggling in my hydro system which is to flush with str8 water and to hygrozyme the plants in case there is some issue with the roots.

All of this has made no difference in whatever is plaguing the plants as the illness continues to bleach, necrosis and destroy fan leaves moving from the bottom upwards.

Since these plants are flowering I do not need to explain to experienced growers how devastating a problem like this can be.

The plants are now on day 17 of flower and though they have grown vertically they have not "filled" in and generally seem to be lacking in growth and development. Additionally the plants are barley up-taking water as I almost never have to add water to their reservoirs. When the plants are doing good in my system the water level seems to be down in their reservoir pretty significantly almost daily.

I am a super paranoid person and am really reluctant to post any pictures. All I can say is that my plants have many of the symptoms posted in other threads about TMV Or similar virus. The mosaic pattern on leaves the crooked leaf fingers. The holes in leaves that appear to be from insects when the rooms are completely sealed and no insects are inside.

I know this a massive wall of text and I probably lost 90 percent of the people who were reading this. But if it is TMV OR some virus what is a grower to do? the shit seems like plant fucking aids and like the post says my soul is pretty fucking crushed here. got so much on the line don’t need to tell others about what that really means. need to figure this shit out.

I have read in other threads that people give aspirin to their plants and that makes a difference? if aspirin helps how do people give it to their plants? crush it up and mix it in the res? If so what is the dilution rate? Can it be mixed in a hydro res while there is nutes in the res or should be only added with pure water? Cuz I don’t like the idea of spraying aspirin on flowering buds.

I am ordering the TMV test strips but from my reading cannabis almost always tests negative FOR TMV because the form of TMV or whatever fucking virus it is that affects cannabis plants isn't something the strips test for. (The strips only test for 5 subtypes of TMV when there is 100's) Many people are describing this disease as plant herpes and that it flares from time to time and that the worse it can do is flare on you when in flower which is exactly the unenviable position that I find myself in in this evening.

My apologizes for the rambling nature of this post as I have drank too many magic hats. Any help or insight is highly apprecaited and could save my soul.

Ive heard of Physan 20 as something that can help with cleaning and disinfecting shit. Please share your stories about TMV and any other cannabis virus and what actions you took to try and combat the situation.

Please also share any links you might have to threads with vlaubale information or links to products that might help with the problem. I have seen a product RNA pro from hemp mosiac virus .com but it seems super shady and like a scam website. So far only promising thing I've heard about this virus is that it flares and that people can still grow high quality meds. And that maybe Aspirin helps?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Moses... I have such an urge to get into your post and break that shit up into paragraphs. I'm overwhelmed just looking at all that text. And still no photos? We could really use some photos.

You might want to search Tobor the 8th Man's posts. He dug into the whole TMV thing, and learned that the tests, as you have, are very specific. So, think outside that little box, what other viruses, mosaics or otherwise, could be at play here? Then, you have to consider VECTOR. Bugs are the typical vector, so if your room even has little fungus gnats, those bitches have to go.

Finally, if it *is* a mosaic virus, I don't think it's really curable. However, you can really seriously control virus transmission with MILK. I'm going to attach a paper here for you, because the one aspect of your growing I haven't caught in your Wall of Text is what you do to keep shit clean and avoid transmitting disease from one plant to the next.

Physan 20 is a must in the arsenal, IMO. Also, isopropyl alcohol for disinfection and sterilization. Also, use Google Scholar for your searches, not just plain old Google.

Ok, milk for virus control in the greenhouse.

I so want to break your post up into paragraphs. The moment you give me permission* it's a done deal.

*Assuming I'm home or somewhere with a network! We're heading out to Mendocino Co. today, gonna see some good friends and parteh.

View attachment greenhouse_high_tunnel_tomato_diseases_11-03-09_handout.pdf
Classic Remix

Classic Remix

i dont think i have EVER seen a positive test for TMV on herb... who started that whole shit?? lol.

have you tested your water??? fuck RO's and shit, do you "KNOW" whats in your water??? that is a key point of focus with mysterious shit like this.

as well as pictures. some people consider "clean" a different word than others, lol. give us the whole scoop.
what are you tubs made out of
any off gassing possible, or lack of air movement anywhere???

i know a dummy who blasts wax in his grow room with the fans all weird, and butane will sit in there for days. i refuse to go back over there until hes not such an idiot hahaha. but moral of that is you never know just expect EVERYTHING until its figured out.

you said something about damage on leaves with no bugs??? what are your PPM's mixed and fed and runoff???

and what silica product do you use

P

paulycali

Water source Water source Water source

Get your water source tested or bring water in from another source and see how your plants react. Most likely the culprit of all this

Good luck Moses249

M

Moses249

Seamaiden feel free to break up that wall of text any way you choose. In terms of Vectors my garden has been to varying degrees of intensity infected by fungus gnats. I try and use a variety of methods to control them sticky traps, gnatrol, and azatrol given to the plants systemically via the rezz. I religously spray all my veg material with azatrol every 10 days to forever keep the mites dead and gone. Haven't seen a single bite mark from a spider mite in a few years. thank god. knocks on wood. I grow Ebb and Flow with hydroton, with three 4x8 trays in the flower room with 3 600's over each table. Each table has its own 115 gallon botanicare res. Every time I harvest the room i bleach my 4x8 trays with germicidal bleach and also bleach my reservoirs. I dont do much to try and stop the spread of diseases in my garden because i haven't had any simliar problems. My flower room with the 9 600's that is 20x20 has ten wall monted eco plus fans on the wall constantly runninf, as well as ductless split which is uses for cooling. The room is without any embellishment whatsoever extremely breezy.

Classic remix i dont do feed and run off i dont have a drain to waste system. I have a recirculationg ebb and flow system, and I change the res out once a week. The ppms in the res on the x70 scale never crack 1200 at any point during the flower and during the first two weeks of flower the ppm target is 1000.

Not sure what other information is being left out.... use advanced nutrients three part micro grow bloom with big bud in first part of flower and overdrive towards the end then final flush in the last week. Also add cal-mag to my R.O. water which comes out of my evolution r.o. at 0 ppm until the ppm is about 120. then add the rest of my nutrients. I dont use any silica, though I bought some dynagrow protekt and just never used it. I am so fucking leery of trying new things that it is just sitting there collecting dust.

As far as testing the water that is not something that I have done. This is my second cycle at this new grow, however the first cycle yielded acceptably and grew decently without any of the problems that i am expieriecing now. which leads me to believe that it is not the water. Its a rural area and isn't city water, its well water. whatever the fuck that means. I tested it when i first moved in to see if I had to R.O. or not and it was about 220 ppm out of the tap and 8.3 ph. However it comes out at 0 out of my r.o. machine.

Pictures i will fucking post some pictures its just gonna be a bunch of fucked up yellow brown rusted crazy burned bleach mottled mid to lower fan leaves. As well as a couple plants that are severly showing the mosiac or whatever the fuck it is.

Bought some aspirin today in hopes of hitting the plants with that..... but unsure if you are only supposed to spray it or if it can be fed to the plants via the res? Also in other posts people said it had to be uncoated aspirin? couldn't find that shit at the store.

I know plenty of growers the kind you are talking about classic remix with the idiocy and almost slapstick comedy approach to growing. I an assure you that is not the case with me and that most of the common explanations for this problem relating to grower laziness, and general idiocy is not in play in my situation.

J

Jalisco Kid

I was wondering have you dug up some of your medium and checked out what condition your roots are in. Aspirins just help kick in your immune sys, I believe its more of a preventative maintenance type of help. I would foliar feed your girls to help since they are not getting fed much now through the roots. I would add some kelp and K silicate to your foliar regiment. Also if you use aspirins apple vinegar and aspirins to get the dosage. the vinegar helps the plant take up the aspirin.
Since you are running separate rez's I find it hard to understand that it hit your room at the same time. I would guess this might have happened(if virus) during your cloning if that's what method you use. I wish you the best of luck,JK

CropAndGardn

CropAndGardn

After extensive research of nearly every TMV thread posted, and any other material I can find on the subject, I am crafting a theory to explain the inexplicable problems I have been experiencing. Briefly, I have a healthy amount of experience cultivating medical marijuana and have been baffled by problems that I am now beginning to suspect are TMV or some other style virus. I grow hydro ebb and flow with hydroton. I recently loaded my flower room a 20x20 space with a bunch of healthy vigorous bright green plants. Shortly thereafter as explained in my paranormal post my plants began to have a wide variety of bleaching, browning, rusting, yellowing, limping, and eventually dying off of lower fan leaves with the symptoms progressing upwards. The leaves develop severe necrosis that comes in a wide variety of positions, colors shades, and eventually must be removed. I am pretty OCD about growing and am an equipment junkie. Subsequently, many of the common explanations for these issues can be ruled out. I monitor my temperature and humidity every 24 hours, recording max and mins. All my reservoirs are monitored by blue lab constant 3 in 1 read-out ph and ppm sensors. My ph is always between 5.5-6.2. And my PPM's are 1000 on the x70 scale. My temperature never cracks 82 daytime and stays around 73 night time. I vigilantly monitor my pumps to make sure there aren't any issues with the tables not getting water. My co2 runs at 1100 ppm during the day and I pump in fresh air at night to make sure my night time ppm's never go over 600. I also sacrificed two plants that were afflicted by this condition to examine their root system and stems and did not find any visual proof of stem rot or other root problems. Additionally I have done what I usually do with plants that are struggling in my hydro system which is to flush with str8 water and to hygrozyme the plants in case there is some issue with the roots. All of this has made no difference in whatever is plaguing the plants as the illness continues to bleach, necrosis and destroy fan leaves moving from the bottom upwards. Since these plants are flowering I do not need to explain to experienced growers how devastating a problem like this can be. The plants are now on day 17 of flower and though they have grown vertically they have not "filled" in and generally seem to be lacking in growth and development. Additionally the plants are barley up-taking water as I almost never have to add water to their reservoirs. When the plants are doing good in my system the water level seems to be down in their reservoir pretty significantly almost daily. I am a super paranoid person and am really reluctant to post any pictures. All I can say is that my plants have many of the symptoms posted in other threads about TMV Or similar virus. The mosaic pattern on leaves the crooked leaf fingers. The holes in leaves that appear to be from insects when the rooms are completely sealed and no insects are inside. I know this a massive wall of text and I probably lost 90 percent of the people who were reading this. But if it is TMV OR some virus what is a grower to do? the shit seems like plant fucking aids and like the post says my soul is pretty fucking crushed here. got so much on the line don’t need to tell others about what that really means. need to figure this shit out. I have read in other threads that people give aspirin to their plants and that makes a difference? if aspirin helps how do people give it to their plants? crush it up and mix it in the res? If so what is the dilution rate? Can it be mixed in a hydro res while there is nutes in the res or should be only added with pure water? Cuz I don’t like the idea of spraying aspirin on flowering buds. I am ordering the TMV test strips but from my reading cannabis almost always tests negative FOR TMV because the form of TMV or whatever fucking virus it is that affects cannabis plants isn't something the strips test for. (The strips only test for 5 subtypes of TMV when there is 100's) Many people are describing this disease as plant herpes and that it flares from time to time and that the worse it can do is flare on you when in flower which is exactly the unenviable position that I find myself in in this evening. My apologizes for the rambling nature of this post as I have drank too many magic hats. Any help or insight is highly apprecaited and could save my soul. Ive heard of Physan 20 as something that can help with cleaning and disinfecting shit. Please share your stories about TMV and any other cannabis virus and what actions you took to try and combat the situation. Please also share any links you might have to threads with vlaubale information or links to products that might help with the problem. I have seen a product RNA pro from hemp mosiac virus .com but it seems super shady and like a scam website. So far only promising thing I've heard about this virus is that it flares and that people can still grow high quality meds. And that maybe Aspirin helps?

Do you have O3 present in your room?
Ozone (O3) is a unstable gas it's strong and irritating odor (explains its name), ozone is corrosive, a strong oxidant
and very toxic.
If not & there are no excesses, deficiencies, or environmental issues. regardless of what the plants have they are infected with: bacteria, fungus, and or virus. They are all remedied with a fairly simple process (if its not too late)
Its like a pond (benicicials & hormones will boost the metabolism & immune system, you cant heal the plants they have to heal themselves)
1) Disinfect both your air (sanitizing mist timer ex. ozium) & medium ( use Erythromycin/Tetracycline 4 aquariums (get from pet store) for 30-48 hrs. then flush/w flushing product) then (use H2O2, Pond disinfectant or potassium permanganate)

2) Flush/w plain 5.8ph water)

3) Inoculate /w beneficials/organic tea
a)get a 5-1-1 fish fert
b)Natural Cytokinin Blast ascophyllum nodosum product like (bio weed, alg-a-mic, nitrozime, or my secret weapon nobody knows about SeaStart-PGR (it is not artificial PGR it is natural phyto-hormones concentrated from kelp) 0-4-4) i retail it in gallons or get it from

c) Natural Auxin Blast Superthrive
d)a mycorrhizal / trichoderma product (sub culture, plant success, great white, xtreme gardening mycos)
e)zyme (hygrozyme is not a complete aa chain you say PROVE IT!, just put different zyme products in separate vials put a small piece of leaf inside & let sit. The hygrozyme will not digest it, pure essentials zym & canna-zyme works best, multi zen is no good either)
f) A organic tea powder like xtreme gardening tea brew (make sure it is under 1%n-p & under 2% k you want the microbes not ferts)
g)a carb like sugar daddy or molasses (plants do not use the form of carbs in thes products. they are intended to feed the microbes who in turn metabolize the carbs into a mobilized compound, if sweeteners are added to a mineral based res. with no beneficials it can possibly rot rather than decompose and cause harm not good.)
1)mix all these together and aerate for a few days. feed your plants & watch them heal (fast!)
Good Luck!
PS Just noticed u use well water. Take it in to a lab to test for viruses bacteria, fungus not the water co or pet store but a actual lab, best way is to find a company that tests materials for construction companies dirt water drywall glue insulation ect.
H2O2 leaves water fairly quickly, use it to disinfect a few days before mixing w/nutes

J

Jalisco Kid

I was wondering have you dug up some of your medium and checked out what condition your roots are in. Aspirins just help kick in your immune sys, I believe its more of a preventative maintenance type of help. I would foliar feed your girls to help since they are not getting fed much now through the roots. I would add some kelp and K silicate to your foliar regiment. Also if you use aspirins apple vinegar and aspirins to get the dosage. the vinegar helps the plant take up the aspirin.
Since you are running separate rez's I find it hard to understand that it hit your room at the same time. I would guess this might have happened(if virus) during your cloning if that's what method you use. I wish you the best of luck,JK

I meant to say above to google apple vinegar and aspirins for the dosage. JK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dosage for aspirin can vary, I can't recall who says they use it regularly, but I do recall they say they use 2 tablets @325mg/tablet for each gallon of water. I believe I have read, again somewhere that excessively high doses can cause hermaphroditism. I wouldn't be too concerned with foliaring flowering plants unless high humidity is an issue in your room. When I use aspirin I go for one 325mg table/2gals water.

IF it's a virus, you're not going to cure it, plain and simple. You may be able to manage it, and some may want to if it's a superior cut, but I personally don't see that being a very good plan of action, because it can be vectored very easily be anything that pierces the plant, and neither cuts nor seeds will be free of it. Again, this is if it's a mosaic or streak virus, and again, this is me going on recollection. I've had it show up a couple of times, could not determine exactly what type of mosaic it was, but they were cuts I took myself from mothers I'd popped and grown out myself and had done lots of other cuttings/runs using, and hadn't ever observed before. That left me fairly certain that what I was observing was likely a disease, and not a sport.

Classic, the TMV thing came up because it resembles the tobacco mosaic virus. What a lot of people don't realize, but the OP does, is that there are not only many species of mosaic viruses, but there are variants within species. This is one disease that IS passed on through seeds, and it is also vectored by bugs like fungus gnats, and again the OP demonstrates understanding of this fact.

Anyone else here remember what Tobor the 8th Man did? Sent off samples to get several different mosaic viruses tested for (I don't recall him getting a hemp/cannabis mosaic virus test done) and his 'infected' cuts were not infected with what was tested for. Should bump up that thread, and I miss that cat.

Anyway, a lot of folks have reported observing this in certain cuts or strains, and they'll add 'Cal-Mag' and the condition appears to resolve. Take it for what it's worth, it's not something *I* have done.

mr roboto

mr roboto

sorry bro I hate when people do this to me all the time but I feel I should bring it up since I STRONGLY suspect this but i'm pretty sure you got broad mites, I got them my last grow as like you said in previously in your post but I had all the same symptoms as you describe plus my pistils gor brown really early with a complete loss of stickyness and smell...basically duds . The problem is those lil shits cant be seen with the naked eye. I reated the whole tent with Heat and so far so good!

souf69

souf69

Broad mites? Root aphids? I know u state you have co2 but whats the humidity like day and night?

K

knubs

i dont think i have EVER seen a positive test for TMV on herb... who started that whole shit?? lol.

SC labs has tested more than one TMV infected marijuana plant. people think it doesn't exist, people think it is just a myth, but it's not... overall it actually doesn't affect the plant 'too' much(basically it doesnt devastate the plant) , but you can definitely tell it is infected. your branches get horribly brittle, and your leaves start to get their chlorophyll blistered but it only happens on half the leaf. it is a weird virus. i had it spread through my room from some clones i brought in. apparently they came with TMV and root aphid...oh yeah, and pm...but the root aphids spread the virus through my entire room.my grow partner and i were practically in tears chopping down all of our infected mothers of strains we really came to love. at first i thought it was a deficiency or something but i couldnt fix it, and by the time i figured out what it was, it was showing up on several strains and it was too late. once your plants get infected that cut is dirty forever. i chose to start over. i threw everything but my lights away and sterilized with physan 20.

this virus is hitting Southern California decently hard right now and it's like plant herpes. not a lot of people talk about it for some reason, but just recently i has been popping up more and more all over. the saddest part is that one of the biggest clone sources in cali is spreading this virus on many of their cuts and not even warning.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

SC labs has tested more than one TMV infected marijuana plant. people think it doesn't exist, people think it is just a myth, but it's not... overall it actually doesn't affect the plant 'too' much(basically it doesnt devastate the plant) , but you can definitely tell it is infected. your branches get horribly brittle, and your leaves start to get their chlorophyll blistered but it only happens on half the leaf. it is a weird virus. i had it spread through my room from some clones i brought in. apparently they came with TMV and root aphid...oh yeah, and pm...but the root aphids spread the virus through my entire room.my grow partner and i were practically in tears chopping down all of our infected mothers of strains we really came to love. at first i thought it was a deficiency or something but i couldnt fix it, and by the time i figured out what it was, it was showing up on several strains and it was too late. once your plants get infected that cut is dirty forever. i chose to start over. i threw everything but my lights away and sterilized with physan 20.

this virus is hitting Southern California decently hard right now and it's like plant herpes. not a lot of people talk about it for some reason, but just recently i has been popping up more and more all over. the saddest part is that one of the biggest clone sources in cali is spreading this virus on many of their cuts and not even warning.
show me a test.

opt1c

opt1c

be concise and to the point; took forever to find some description of what was actually happening; pictures are worth a thousand words... just say a friend of a friend sent u one of a friends garden; u just need to show a leaf or a plant; not the entire setup

that being said it sounds like you have broad mites; 100x scope on the tips of the leaves and where the webbing connects to the base of the leaf on both sides; look for stalkless trichs randomly placed... those are eggs; and yeah you need a 100x scope to even start to see em

UNITEDGROOVES

UNITEDGROOVES

Knubs is right... TMV isn't a myth... SCLABS developed the ability to test for TMV less than a month ago.... I was on the phone with them last week for a while and they did confirm multiple plants tested positive for TMV.. The test costs $100 + $30 for Courier service... They also claim their method differs greatly from the test strip and is more accurate.. With that said...

I've seen the Mosaic like symptoms on my OG kush since 2007 (before the broadmite epidemic) and there was no way of getting rid of the symptoms for good.... All legit OG's clones iv'e came across have the Mosaic thing going on, some show it more then others but if you keep them fed and UP the MAG the symptoms are hard to spot... Same with the White and Chemdog D.. Even the White Fire's i popped from seed will end up showing the Mosiac symptoms soon or later.. More so when they get older, so it is passed on to the next generation through seed...

The Broadmite infestation is a different problem.. It does look a lot like TMV symptoms but if you look closely its easy to spot the difference... What strains are you running? if they came from a dispensary most likely they have broadmites as well as TMV... The difference is if its only TMV you shouldn't be having most of the problems you mentioned, you should be able to harvest dank with little problem... On the other hand broadmites will wreck you crop and you'll be stuck with hemp.....

1st. Scope the underside of the leaves with a good USB Microscope at least 30x zoom and see if you have broads before you start giving your plants aspirin..
2nd. Make sure the root zone is getting enough oxygen..
3rd. Make sure you're feeding them enough because your PPMs seem kinda low depending on what week you're on and what strain you're running..
4th. Post pics so we can help you ID the problem...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I dont think i seen what the root temp is or was and the temp of resevoir???

Top Bottom