Sour Diesel lineage?

• Thread starter deepthought
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deepthought

deepthought

Hey was looking up lineage of Purple Diesel which naturally led to Sour Diesel. There seems to be a lot of confusion/misinformation out there about it (Sour Diesel lineage)

I've seen Grapefruit x Original Diesel, Unknown Skunk x Diesel and Mass. Super Skunk x Diesel.......to name a few.

So I figured I'd ask the brain trust lol, what the heck is the lineage of Sour Diesel? o_O

frebo

frebo

Sour Diesel

90% Sativa 10% Indica

Flowering: 78-80 Days

Origins: Mexican Sativa x Chemo

Smell: Citrus Zest

Medicinal Uses: Alleviate chronic depression

FRWEED app had the above.

D

Deez nutz

wrong.

its a D/DNL cross, whether its mass SS or daywrecker as the other parent... well.... thats a whole nother animal. lol.

DNL for sure, JJ has the most info on it from anyone ive seen w the real deal (lots, LOTS of fakes)

fractal

fractal

Sour Diesel

90% Sativa 10% Indica

Flowering: 78-80 Days

Origins: Mexican Sativa x Chemo

Smell: Citrus Zest

Medicinal Uses: Alleviate chronic depression

FRWEED app had the above.

I don't think whoever wrote that has even smoked sour D. Not even close. . . Thought the consensus was mass super skunk x daywrecker

green punk

green punk

wrong.

its a D/DNL cross, whether its mass SS or daywrecker as the other parent... well.... thats a whole nother animal. lol.

DNL for sure, JJ has the most info on it from anyone ive seen w the real deal (lots, LOTS of fakes)

D/DNL... Can someone please explain what these are. There is confusion over what these are too. And Daywrecker is the same as Loompas Headband??

frebo

frebo

D/DNL... Can someone please explain what these are. There is confusion over what these are too. And Daywrecker is the same as Loompas Headband??

Help!!!! So many of the posts use 3 or 4 letter abbreviations for strains that I have never heard of. Wikipedia had this...
Sour Diesel, also known as Sour D, is a hybrid strain of cannabis. It is a cross between 91 Chemdog and a super skunk/northern lights. NYC Diesel is a Mexican Sativa crossed to an Afghani indica.[1] The strain produces a fast acting, dreamy high that, due to a 90% concentration of sativa, yields excellent cerebral effects. It is best known for its extremely pungent sour scent as well as its uplifting, mood enhancing effects.

As easily as clones can get "mixed up" in a dispensary, the true history of many strains is really unknown. I had two different "Green Crack"(yes, I hate the name too) clones this year both of which looked kind of like what I have had in years past but definitely not the same. A friend said he thought his GC was really Holland Haze.
The more times we cross these strains the more confusing it becomes.

deepthought

deepthought

Help!!!! So many of the posts use 3 or 4 letter abbreviations for strains that I have never heard of. Wikipedia had this...
Sour Diesel, also known as Sour D, is a hybrid strain of cannabis. It is a cross between 91 Chemdog and a super skunk/northern lights. NYC Diesel is a Mexican Sativa crossed to an Afghani indica.[1] The strain produces a fast acting, dreamy high that, due to a 90% concentration of sativa, yields excellent cerebral effects. It is best known for its extremely pungent sour scent as well as its uplifting, mood enhancing effects.

As easily as clones can get "mixed up" in a dispensary, the true history of many strains is really unknown. I had two different "Green Crack"(yes, I hate the name too) clones this year both of which looked kind of like what I have had in years past but definitely not the same. A friend said he thought his GC was really Holland Haze.
The more times we cross these strains the more confusing it becomes.

Which leads me to a point........maybe we should slow down crossing strains? I mean, where does it end? Isn't there any strain that is "good enough" as it is?

How about this.....an organization that (just a group of dedicated people) that work to PRESERVE strains. I know that making new crosses drums up business...people are always looking for the newest/hottest thing.....but damn there are some awesome strains/older crosses that nobody seems to be able to get a hold of anymore.

We probably have the resources right here on THC Farmer to start a (or join up with an existing, that I don't know about?) Strain Preservation Society/Movement (or whatever you want to call it)

There are probably lots of people on this site that still have live beans of older strains/crosses. (or have contacts that do) We could keep these strains just by doing small seed grows (or big) every once in a while and make sure that people "within the movement" get some of them (probably be willing to buy them) to make sure that these genetics are preserved and are available....and not hoarded by small groups of people. I'm not saying "don't do crosses" or use them for new crosses, but make sure you grow some beans of the original strain....preserve it.

Why let these amazing strains die out/disappear?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
My SD has always been original Diesel x Grapefruit some times bx1 depending on the outcome. I try to use a sour grapefruit not a sweet one.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Which leads me to a point........maybe we should slow down crossing strains? I mean, where does it end? Isn't there any strain that is "good enough" as it is?

How about this.....an organization that (just a group of dedicated people) that work to PRESERVE strains. I know that making new crosses drums up business...people are always looking for the newest/hottest thing.....but damn there are some awesome strains/older crosses that nobody seems to be able to get a hold of anymore.

We probably have the resources right here on THC Farmer to start a (or join up with an existing, that I don't know about?) Strain Preservation Society/Movement (or whatever you want to call it)

There are probably lots of people on this site that still have live beans of older strains/crosses. (or have contacts that do) We could keep these strains just by doing small seed grows (or big) every once in a while and make sure that people "within the movement" get some of them (probably be willing to buy them) to make sure that these genetics are preserved and are available....and not hoarded by small groups of people. I'm not saying "don't do crosses" or use them for new crosses, but make sure you grow some beans of the original strain....preserve it.

Hell of an idea, DT.....

green punk

green punk

I agree. I have often thought the same.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Think the name are insane now wait until its legal in all states we basically have all these names from a few states/ breeders now once everyone can grow without fear imagine were it goes from there ? around my parts people don't know names and don't care (maybe the its fire/haze/kush ) is not such a bad thing as my customers are not looking for a Chemdog D or sour d - 95% of them just want good pot at a fair price .... hell most don't know the difference between sativa / indica which really is all we need to know the s/i ratio and the thc % and breed with true genetic's not poly hybrids of poly hybrids .......

soserthc1

soserthc1

Go to seedfinder.eu and there is 6 different sour diesel listed (just sour diesel not nycd or ecsd) and there all different that about sums up the chaos of names....

monkeymun

monkeymun

Essentially a "Doomsday Vault" for cannabis strains.

deepthought

deepthought

Essentially a "Doomsday Vault" for cannabis strains.

Pretty much. But instead of an actual vault you would have a group of people that work together to make sure that great strains are preserved=

By personally storing those strains.

Doing seed grows with those strains (not crosses) to keep a stock of viable/living seeds.

Share those genetics with other like-minded individuals who will do the same. (not saying give them away for free but do a trade or let the person purchase them)

I see a number of obstacles to this. Like people who have older/hard to get strains wanting to keep them to themselves for crossing purposes (for business basically). Also, you could get someone who agrees to take steps to preserve the strain but as soon as they get a hold of the genetics they only use it for crosses and take no steps to preserve.

Natural

Natural

DNL is basically skunk/northern lights crossed with a hawaiian strain. The Mass super skunk is in geisel and daywrecker..which was weasel's garden...but not necessarily in the sour diesel.
The skunk that is in DNL is the RFK skunk...I see it written up as Shiva skunk a lot...and I'm not saying it wasn't..but the RFK was from a bagseed that came from another dead show @ RFK. Now some folks think Daywrecker is part of the original sour diesel..but I'm thinking JJ is right when he says that he thinks it was just DNL herming and hitting the 91 Chemdog...not the daywrecker.

frebo

frebo

So, how many sour diesels do think there are? Do you think there are more old gassers than sour diesels?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Pretty much. But instead of an actual vault you would have a group of people that work together to make sure that great strains are preserved=

By personally storing those strains.

Doing seed grows with those strains (not crosses) to keep a stock of viable/living seeds.

Share those genetics with other like-minded individuals who will do the same. (not saying give them away for free but do a trade or let the person purchase them)

I see a number of obstacles to this. Like people who have older/hard to get strains wanting to keep them to themselves for crossing purposes (for business basically). Also, you could get someone who agrees to take steps to preserve the strain but as soon as they get a hold of the genetics they only use it for crosses and take no steps to preserve.

Sounds like the NS/S folks.
I've supported Native Seeds/SEARCH since they started.

They went around to all the reservations, collected seed,
paid farmers to produce more seed.

They give seeds to all Native Americans--
and sell seeds to the rest of us to support the project...

deepthought

deepthought

Sounds like the NS/S folks.
I've supported Native Seeds/SEARCH since they started.

They went around to all the reservations, collected seed,
paid farmers to produce more seed.

They give seeds to all Native Americans--
and sell seeds to the rest of us to support the project...

very cool, thanks for the link!

Natural

Natural

So, how many sour diesels do think there are? Do you think there are more old gassers than sour diesels?
oh my..that is a veritable rabbit hole
How many versions around today? ..more than I could possibly try to sample really..from what I see on the internet...crosses..S1's..etc.
Being from the East Coast and a certain era..the sour diesel is a very particular flavor for me. From the look of the nodes to the look of hairs and stickiness..to the skunk background that fills the room to the fuely sweet nose.
NYC Diesel aka Chemdog 91 is the original gasser if you're asking me.
Chemdog origins? ...that's a good question..but if you really think about it..back in '91 we had Amsterdam seeds and imports. Indoor growing was just catching up..and somewhere in the middle 80's weed shot up from reasonable prices to $100 a quarter for any green homegrown and stayed there. It happened all over..like it was an underground union contract..lol. Out of all the imported weed I experienced, what stood out was the thai and the columbian. The thai was less green than the columbian. Both were strains one would remember forever. Albeit, I have smoked dozens of strains that were incredible in that time-frame that were US grown, they just never had monikers..that's what it was like back then. I'm of the opinion that Chemdog is a cross of columbian seed and a skunk...but that's just another opinion.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Had Thai indo once that was so sticky, the baggie ripped apart. I'm not exaggerating.

There's great beauty in most strains, a lot depends on conditions of course.
Would be great to see original cultivars in production or preserved. Acapulco Gold was eradicated I've heard, for example.

Sour D has a very high sativa ratio, wish I had more to offer. Great thread.

Top Bottom