Spacesaver Mom

• Thread starter drfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

drfarm

I have a problem keeping moms but was inspired by HCC's bonsai pic....Here it is...

so i searched bonsai canna a bit, pulled out the hashberry mom and went to work.

Sorry I missed the before shot, but this wasn't on my mind then. I have been pulling clones to beercups when a mom grows to 1 gallon, then flowering her after transplanted to a 3 gallon, keeping the new clone as mom, so was lots of work for me to keep unused moms.

What I did: She was 14-16 inches high and not overly sidebranched, living in a 6" x 9" deep (what I call) 1 gallon pot. Been there about 2 weeks I think. Roots had hit the bottom and circling, but there was that area of really no root between the bottom and the beercup root mass.
Have cut the root system at the bottom of the beercup mass and around the sides back to about a 4" root ball. pretty much round. Soil mix was nice and damp and the ball stayed tight.
Straight into a 6" x 5" Deep pot about 1 liter, I guess and filled around her with new mix.. Straight water this time, no ferts again until she REALLY gets hungry.
I like the small rootmass in HCC's photo but a little afraid of water stress so will stay in this size.

She was topped down to 9 inches, removed most the fans, not all. Removed several side branches leaving small new ones and a couple larger.
This was done about 5 hours ago and, as of now, does not seem stressed. I will pick up some soft wire and shape her tomorrow, and show that when it's done.
Ill keep updating till she is past danger and seems happy (or dead ..hmmm). If this works, a powerplant is next and I believe every strain I like will get this if Im not actvely flowering them

I read a thread by "shaggy" at hg420 and decided it is worth trying. There are several moms out there 2-3 years old maybe more, yielding 20-30 cuts at a time,and seems great if you rotate moms. For me, I will know soon.
Keeping her under 4 each 40 watt T5 vertical bulbs in a 2 x 2 foot closet, so I hope to stack a collection of moms in this space and stop rotating my mom/clones.

If anyone sees where Ive gone wrong or has any advice, I probly need lot of help. lol Thanks

'

Bonsai 8jpg
P

ProGroWannabe

Cool thread man!! I'll definitely follow along as you progress with this.

S

sokalkush

nice thread drfarm!

i too have been wanting to bonzai my moms. as of now i have out of control beasts in my mom room and the quality of cuttings is not very consistent.

looking forward to updates and more input from others who have had success with bonzai moms.

-peace

JollyGreen

JollyGreen

I just trimed the fu@k out of my moms a while ago, I transplanted in a 5 gallon bucket hopen it wouldnt get root bound on me. I dont know wether to take clones and flower it or to try to kept it. Im on the same boat you are drfarm.

D

drfarm

Thanks for the interest everyone. Picked up a regular bonsai dish today, from a friend. So I will catch some fotos and update this tomorrow . The plant above will have more serious root trimming for depth. Thanks Progro , Ill try to keep it interesting.
Sokal, if I can get this one downsized and alive, I am SURE anyone else will be able to. Remember will be small so less often are cuts available.
Jolly, the idea is to keep her somewhat rootbound but healthy, very low or no nutes. When she is nearly outgrown the container, cut the roots back, repot to the same container with fresh mix. Ya those 5 gallon moms are rough "bloom baby bloom", clone a new mum. You could maitain the 3 gallon or what have you the same way.
Ill try to get the fotos up tomorrow.

D

drfarm

OK got her in the final pot today. Showed really no stress from cutting 2 days ago and has been in half day low lite window for the period. Went back to the 160 watts of T5 after all of this.

The soil mix is flushed out Miracle gro organic 50%, matybe 20% perlite, and the balance of a 5.5 ph blueberry (fruit) mix I had here. It is peat, pine bark compost,rose potting soil, and coco. ( I hate this last mix for MJ, doesnt work for me, but its what I had). It was all flushed potting mix.

She was showing some, maybe 1 1/2 inch new root growth from the earlier cut, and looked fine on top.

Removed 2 more inches from the rootball, placed her and soaked her with 6.5 water checked before adding about 3 mls. / gallon florabloom only. Except what is in the potting mix, no nitrogen till some definite signs indicate a need. For now I dont want too much vegetative growth. Want some roots out there, then when she anchors a bit, maybe some of that neat Japanese look training.

Anyway with her now are 4 clones taken from the first big topping, and just some seedlings for company. They are hashberry f1s, checking viability. 5 of 5 germed, but kind of dropped one so... here is Mum and her kids

Bonsai 80308 003
D

drfarm

Sorry Had some trouble uploading. Will try to post again in a short while

D

drfarm

Not much more to say here 'til she roots a bit. So this PPP strain is next clone for bonsai now. Gotta make room for that "White", I hope. At least the shrom/LA Con...Thanks Logic and DNA for a great site... and CaptC and everyone here..

PPP 80408 04
PPP 80408 07
PPP 80408 08
B

barletta

Beautiful plants, Ima borrow the 'baggie over the cup' package. Those plants really do look great, no burn, flushing nicely.... How far in is she/they?

S

spinkus

I bonsai my moms and I love it. I cut the hell out of'em. I currently have 7 different mothers under a 400w T-5

Bonsai
D

drfarm

Hey Barletta, thanks for the visit.Not sure,but probably 47/48 days. She has maybe 15 days to go, never grown this past 20% amber ,so maybe this time. Hah maaaaybe. She was a mom, with 10 more cuts about 3 weeks behind her and another mom just went 12/12..

Sokal, sporadic clones for this summer also. I think my prob has been the 100+ F days, even with AC, its never less than 85 in there, sometimes 90. Working on better floor venting

D

drfarm

Spinkus man glad you stopped by. Nice, do I have questions, but mostly how you feed, and how many/often do you take cuts from them. Oldest one you have too? I hope 2 cut about 15-20 a month, and swap between 4 or 5 mums while they slow veg under the 160 watts. Does that sound doable to you?

S

spinkus

I use the GH 3 part and pro-mix. I used to just feed them 3ml gro 2ml micro 1ml bloom per gallon in veg. However I found I had a much better success rate with clones(60-65 out of 72) when I hit them with 6-4-2 every other watering.

I fill up my 72 site tray once a month and have another 20-25 extra for friends.

I usually replace with another clone of the same mother if I want her, or change to another strain every 6 months or so, sometimes longer sometimes shorter. I put her in the side light in the flower room. As long as you trim the root-ball when it starts to get rootbound you can keep one in veg in-definitely.

BTW These mothers are fairly new only about 2-2 1/2 months old

15-20 cuts a month with 4-5 moms sounds do-able!

Good luck!

D

drfarm

I have GH also, Ill try that 6-4-2, Had 2 rounds of bad clones in a row. my fault imo

maybe just 3M + 4B at first here, not pushing for growth , just health

D

drfarm

@ 2 weeks 2 days later, she looks fine albeit slower growth and leaves. No probs keeping her now, I think.

Bonsai081908 001
Bonsai081908 002
Top Bottom