Speeding up seed ripening of photoperiod plants

• Thread starter Fruity.Guy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

I'm new to breeding cannabis, but am impatient and curious. I bought a mix pack of fast photoperiod plants, induced them with STS and intercrossed them. I realized this is just madness to breed unknown strains that I don't even know if I like them. I just wanted to try breeding so that someday when I have favorite strains, I'll know what to do. My plants are showing seed pods all over. It occurred to me that after they make seeds I should try rejuvenating them, then I'll know which seeds to keep. Totally backwards, I know. I only sprayed the tops of the plants so If I rejuvenate from the bottom they won't have STS on them.
I've tried searching the web but never heard of anyone rejuvenating seed bearing plants. It seem people rejuvenate plants that were going for bud production. Has anyone tried rejuvenating plants where the whole plant was put into seed production? I've read in a few places that the mother plants practically have to die before the seeds are ready.
What would happen if I started giving my plants long days now. Would the plants abort all their seeds? Or would the seeds ripen twice as fast? Would the plants rejuvenate now but also keep their seeds?

dannyhedges

dannyhedges

You can put them on a 20/4 or 24/0 light cycle to finish the seeds much faster, and the plants will be revegged by the time the seeds are finished. That being said, you'll have no idea which plants were any good, since you didn't really flower them. To be honest, you really want to flower the seed plants and their clones, too, before you decide, as the same seed plant/clone can vary a bit.

This isn't a game for the impatient. If you used more than one variety as a pollen donor without isolating or labeling anything, it's going to be virtually impossible to know what is what. You want to label plants, use one pollen donor at a time or implement isolation chambers and s.o.p. to prevent pollen contamination, and take notes. That's the best way to save time.

Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

You can put them on a 20/4 or 24/0 light cycle to finish the seeds much faster, and the plants will be revegged by the time the seeds are finished. That being said, you'll have no idea which plants were any good, since you didn't really flower them. To be honest, you really want to flower the seed plants and their clones, too, before you decide, as the same seed plant/clone can vary a bit.

This isn't a game for the impatient. If you used more than one variety as a pollen donor without isolating or labeling anything, it's going to be virtually impossible to know what is what. You want to label plants, use one pollen donor at a time or implement isolation chambers and s.o.p. to prevent pollen contamination, and take notes. That's the best way to save time.
Good points, I forgot that revegging isn't as good as first run. Easy to forget when just reading about it. I'm in the early stages of revegging a Blueberry I liked and its my first time doing that. Likely I'll let the plants make seeds just to see what its like then start a new cycle with named strains and flower them.

Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

I'm new to breeding cannabis, but am impatient and curious. I bought a mix pack of fast photoperiod plants, induced them with STS and intercrossed them. I realized this is just madness to breed unknown strains that I don't even know if I like them. I just wanted to try breeding so that someday when I have favorite strains, I'll know what to do. My plants are showing seed pods all over. It occurred to me that after they make seeds I should try rejuvenating them, then I'll know which seeds to keep. Totally backwards, I know. I only sprayed the tops of the plants so If I rejuvenate from the bottom they won't have STS on them.
I've tried searching the web but never heard of anyone rejuvenating seed bearing plants. It seem people rejuvenate plants that were going for bud production. Has anyone tried rejuvenating plants where the whole plant was put into seed production? I've read in a few places that the mother plants practically have to die before the seeds are ready.
What would happen if I started giving my plants long days now. Would the plants abort all their seeds? Or would the seeds ripen twice as fast? Would the plants rejuvenate now but also keep their seeds?
Just to follow up. I switched to long days and here's what happened. the seed pods developed and did not abort. I don't think they developed very fast., Pollination occurred about 4 weeks earlier before going to longer days, then I waited 4 weeks more before harvesting. about half the seeds seemed well developed. Maybe with longer days the plants didn't feel desperate to hurry up their seeds development? Plants mostly regenerated at the growing tips which would be ok for taking cuttings but not if you wanted to rejuvenate the whole plants. I think if rejuvenation is the goal its better to substantially prune them back.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

If you're after speeding ripening along just add hours of darkness and it will speed maturity up but you'll get less yield which isn't as important for a breeding run

Top Bottom