Spider Mite Prevention/control

• Thread starter RG420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RG420

RG420

Just wondering what everyone uses as a preventative/control measure against spider mites? Was thinking a neem folair spray every week? And if God forbid it gets out of hand what has worked for you? was thinking of mitey wash.....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cleanliness and paying attention to direction of handling is my first step in controlling spider mites. I also freeze my clothing then wash it if I've been handling plants that have any signs of any pests or disease.

Beyond that, if there are no signs, then I'll use nothing, and if I see the beginning of any signs I immediately go to isopropyl alcohol diluted about 1:1 or as low as 1:5 (water:alcohol).

shemshemet

shemshemet

@Seamaiden great advice!

You do not need to spray for mites preventatively. Period.

IPM - integrated pest management. Uses scouting methods to determine when you should spray.

Growing indoors you do not need to spray preventative. Grow your plants healthy, and make sure to not let anything in your room which may contaminate. This include clones, dirt from another grow, plants from another area, shoes which may have been outside in the garden, etc. You can get as crazy as you'd like.

If you think you may have introduced mites, I recommend to spray with neem oil, with a drop of soap or other surfactant.

Never used ISO ^^^ but if Sea says it works, I'd take her word. I have experience using neem and have it on hand.

Though I haven't had a problem in a couple years now, and that is since reusing my soil (such a dirty practice ;] )...lucky me!

RG420

RG420

Nice tips guys thank you! Iv ordered some neem which was very hard to source as apparently the hydro store reckons its banned for some reason here in the uk, So I got some on flea bay :) my last crop was hit pretty hard by mites, Iv gone OCD with the bleach etc in the tent they were in and now have another lot vegging in there hence the reason for a preventative measure. I would of smoked the things with bombs but have another tent in the room flowering so can't yet but so far they are untouched by mites and hopefully they won't return in the vegging tent.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Light borax solutions works absolute wonders as a bleach replacement. I think it works better. And it is much less harsh to you and your air quality.

And is proven to kill mite eggs

RG420

RG420

Well worst fear.... Found some in the other flowering tent that's 6 weeks in..... Think I'll grab some mitey wash and give them a spray, hopefully it will hold em back enough till harvest then I can take out the young vegging plants from the other tent and smoke out both tents and the room there in, how long should I leave it before bringing back the plants into the room after the smoke bombs have gone off??

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Well worst fear.... Found some in the other flowering tent that's 6 weeks in..... Think I'll grab some mitey wash and give them a spray, hopefully it will hold em back enough till harvest then I can take out the young vegging plants from the other tent and smoke out both tents and the room there in, how long should I leave it before bringing back the plants into the room after the smoke bombs have gone off??
I have waited 24 Hours..

Peace

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

In my experience, for spider mites specifically, weekly foliar applications of Einstein oil @2tsp/gal (ph @6.0-6.5) with 1/4tsp dr. Bronners peppermint soap works well as a preventative.
If they're present then the main thing to focus on is timing of foliar applications of whatever product you decide on (azamax, etc).
Spray, 2 days off, spray, 2 days off, spray. 3 applications like this normally does the trick for me and throw in one extra spray for posterity after they appear to be gone. Not sure if it's available in the uk but mighty wash (now called ultimate wash) has worked the best for me.
But, to reiterate, the most important thing is the TIMING OF FOLIAR APPLICATION! You want to interrupt the little bastards life cycle. They go from laid egg to crawler in 72 hrs. So you want to knock em out before the next generation can feed/breed again.
Systemics are a dangerous bandaid and repeated applications just breed resistant mutants. I've seen the fuckers shrug off floramite back in the day so f that noise.
Spider mite prevention is a right of passage IMO, and you'll get past it.
These days, id trade the pests I'm getting for spider mites in a heartbeat.
Good luck, pal, you got this.

RG420

RG420

In my experience, for spider mites specifically, weekly foliar applications of Einstein oil @2tsp/gal (ph @6.0-6.5) with 1/4tsp dr. Bronners peppermint soap works well as a preventative.
If they're present then the main thing to focus on is timing of foliar applications of whatever product you decide on (azamax, etc).
Spray, 2 days off, spray, 2 days off, spray. 3 applications like this normally does the trick for me and throw in one extra spray for posterity after they appear to be gone. Not sure if it's available in the uk but mighty wash (now called ultimate wash) has worked the best for me.
But, to reiterate, the most important thing is the TIMING OF FOLIAR APPLICATION! You want to interrupt the little bastards life cycle. They go from laid egg to crawler in 72 hrs. So you want to knock em out before the next generation can feed/breed again.
Systemics are a dangerous bandaid and repeated applications just breed resistant mutants. I've seen the fuckers shrug off floramite back in the day so f that noise.
Spider mite prevention is a right of passage IMO, and you'll get past it.
These days, id trade the pests I'm getting for spider mites in a heartbeat.
Good luck, pal, you got this.

Yeah can get the mitey wash dude it's by NPK industries... Gunna order it now! I'm not playing with these fuckers lol

symbiote420

symbiote420

I'm a "lazy" gardener lol I'm the type that knows how important it is to stay on top of foliar spraying for pest/disease control but after a while I'll start slippin on the job, with the neem meal added to the soil the plant takes it up systematically so you never miss a spot, gets any of those nasty lil root, stem, and/or leaf critters that wanna nimble on your gals....... and I only have to apply a light top dress (1tsp - 1tbsp, depending on pot size) every few weeks instead of bustin' out bottles every other day. I'd get the Mighty Wash though since they're already getting down on you, that should knock the fuckers down if not out completely if you wet every part of the plant, top of the soil/medium, and container should work 100%, then I'd start with the meals. It will smell like someone's cooking garlic and scallions for a couple days in your growroom lol but it's not offensive, I kinda think the smell helps ward pest off from even wanting to come into your grow too!

And the best thing you can do is probably try to find the source of where they're coming from whether it's cuts you've brought in, trips to the dro store, tall grass/field around your home, a buddy, etc.

RG420

RG420

I'm a "lazy" gardener lol I'm the type that knows how important it is to stay on top of foliar spraying for pest/disease control but after a while I'll start slippin on the job, with the neem meal added to the soil the plant takes it up systematically so you never miss a spot, gets any of those nasty lil root, stem, and/or leaf critters that wanna nimble on your gals....... and I only have to apply a light top dress (1tsp - 1tbsp, depending on pot size) every few weeks instead of bustin' out bottles every other day. I'd get the Mighty Wash though since they're already getting down on you, that should knock the fuckers down if not out completely if you wet every part of the plant, top of the soil/medium, and container should work 100%, then I'd start with the meals. It will smell like someone's cooking garlic and scallions for a couple days in your growroom lol but it's not offensive, I kinda think the smell helps ward pest off from even wanting to come into your grow too!

And the best thing you can do is probably try to find the source of where they're coming from whether it's cuts you've brought in, trips to the dro store, tall grass/field around your home, a buddy, etc.

That's awesome information bro thank you! I never thought about using my neem as a drench!! Makes perfect sense really! So basically I should add a tsp of neem to say a litre of warmish water and just pour away into pots? I have the neem now so thinking I'll do that tonight and then when the mitey wash turns up I can spray my flowering plants and give the youngsters in veg a blast aswell ( would of also had neem drench couple days before )

RG420

RG420

Little update.. The neem is kicking ass in the veg tent! First spray 3 days ago and tonight when I went to spray again couldn't see any! :) although no doubt there's some still lurking! I'll continue this routine for another week or so then just spray ounce aweek until 2nd week of flower.
Mitey wash still ain't here but when it does the flowering plants are gunna get drenched. :D

RG420

RG420

PUREAG PEST CONTROL

PureAg Pest Control immediately impacts the exoskeleton structure of the pest upon contact by disrupting the molecular structure of the chitin and other protein substances that protect the insect. Unlike standard insecticides, no built-in resistance can be developed by the targeted insects because PureAg Pest Control does not act on the nervous system, it acts on the respiratory system.

Have you experience with this product bro?

Top Bottom