Spider Mites - 4 weeks in...

• Thread starter Michael_Eaton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Michael_Eaton

Hello everyone,

I'm just over 4 weeks into flowering (looking promising) but over weekend things got a little warm and the few spider mites that survived the pyrithrum during veg have gone ape shit... I've never had such a pest problem this far into the game and I'm really weary of solving this issue by using some sort of pesticides...

I'm planning on picking up some lady bugs but does anyone else have some suggestions?

D

darookie2000

You have to keep hitting them to break up the reproductive cycle. When spider mites are about to die, they lay eggs, so just when it looks like they are all gone, they will reappear. They are evil bastards and need to be crushed. Do you have an 8 week strain? If it's a 6 week strain on week for, that makes a difference.

First step is isolate any infected plants, if there are any not affected ones left. If you have 4 weeks left, you're probably going to want two (some recommend 3) pyrethrin bombs to kill all the living ones, their offspring, and any stragglers. The reason you need two or three is that rebound effect. Sprays are always phytotoxic, so it's possible you're going to burn the leaves a bit. This is tough to avoid at this stage of the game. Azamax might work, but if you've got it bad, it's going to be tough, because most of the time it requires contact to stop them. Consider removing infected leaves, check EVERY leaf for eggs, and crush them by hand if there are only a few (doesn't sound like this is the case). Some mites are spray resistant, so you may need to rotate sprays.

Floramite or avid might be a good step, I've heard good things about them, though fortunately have never had to use them (knock on wood). I keep a pyrethrin bomb around at all times, just in case.

If you can get them now, predatory mites could be helpful, but you don't have a lot of time because of the rapid reproductive cycle. If you can drop the temperature in your grow space for a while, that should help slow the reproductive cycle. The hotter it is, the faster it goes. Here is a scale for mite damage that I just found on an ag website:

0 – No spider mites or injury observed.
1 – Minor stipling on lower leaves, no premature yellowing observed
2 – Stipling common on lower leaves, small areas or scattered plants with yellowing
3 – Heavy stipling on lower leaves with some stipling progressing into middle canopy. Mites present in middle canopy with scattered colonies in upper canopy. Lower leaf yellowing common. Small areas with lower leaf loss. (Spray Threshold)
4 – Lower leaf yellowing readily apparent. Leaf drop common. Stipling, webbing and mites common in middle canopy. Mites and minor stipling present in upper canopy. (Economic Loss)
5 – Lower leaf loss common, yellowing or browning moving up plant into middle canopy, stipling and distortion of upper leaves common. Mites present in high levels in middle and lower canopy.

In other words, if it's 4 or above, destroy the plant (maybe make hash if you're inclined, but there is a risk of the mites migrating, so you will want something like tanglefoot on the drying lines to stop them), bomb the grow room, and sterilize it.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I keep reading good things about using Co2 to kill them, thats what I would do if I got them 4 weeks in. I always spray forbid in the veg cabinet and all plants a few days before i go 12/12 to prevent them and it works killer. Ive had mites about 3-4 times the last few years from others clones, and I get ride of them with 2 sprays 10 days apart to break there cycle.

D

darookie2000

I keep reading good things about using Co2 to kill them, thats what I would do if I got them 4 weeks in. I always spray forbid in the veg cabinet and all plants a few days before i go 12/12 to prevent them and it works killer. Ive had mites about 3-4 times the last few years from others clones, and I get ride of them with 2 sprays 10 days apart to break there cycle.

Yeah, I've heard the same. You have to make sure the room is sealed tight to be able to get the ppm high enough, and you MUST be able to ventilate it well enough to remove the CO2 when you're done or it can kill you. They are tough bastards...

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
hey guys i am like a month and a half in veg and my temps aren't high at all, round 75 in day and prob like 1o deg. lower at night. i noticed just a few small spiders that were on a few plants, they were in an invisible little web, nowhere near leaves looked like almost a reg little spider, am i mistaken, is this the first sign of a mite infestation?

M

Michael_Eaton

Thanks for the suggestions guys! This was my first thread and I really appreciate the quick responses...

I'll keep you posted! I think I'm gonna try the CO2 treatment tonight!

M

Michael_Eaton

It sounds like a regular little spider...

Spider mites are too small to see in detail without a magnifying glass or somethin...

That and the mites live on the under side of the leaves...

Things have to be REALLY REALLY bad before you see any webs...

You'll see tiny little spots on the leaves before you actually find a mite...

Can you get a decent picture?

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea and i didn't think that they were going off of pics i have seen but the3y looked weird, i'll have to see exactly what they are.

THC Scientific

THC Scientific

Vacume the leaves one at a time, its hard but it has to get done.

Top Bottom