Spider mites/soil mites in my soil

• Thread starter Dildo_Shwaggins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

So I definitely have an infestation in my soil however the spider mites or soil mites, I'm not sure if there's a difference, have not been eating my plants at all. I'm not totally sure if they're spider mites because I don't have webbing that I can see too, but I thought I'd treat them as if they're a pest to be safe. Anyway, I have a couple questions:
1) If I can keep the mites in my soil and do something to prevent them from climbing up my plants to the leaves, are they harmful in any way?
2) What can I do to get them out of my soil without removing the soil and most likely damaging the roots? I was thinking spraying the soil with a considerable amount of homemade insecticidal soap (dawn soap and water), but I don't think it will get ride of them entirely and it might hurt the plant.

(Attached photo is taken of dead ones I've sprayed with insecticide which were on the side of the pot)

Spider mitessoil mites in my soil
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So I definitely have an infestation in my soil however the spider mites or soil mites, I'm not sure if there's a difference, have not been eating my plants at all. I'm not totally sure if they're spider mites because I don't have webbing that I can see too, but I thought I'd treat them as if they're a pest to be safe. Anyway, I have a couple questions:
1) If I can keep the mites in my soil and do something to prevent them from climbing up my plants to the leaves, are they harmful in any way?
2) What can I do to get them out of my soil without removing the soil and most likely damaging the roots? I was thinking spraying the soil with a considerable amount of homemade insecticidal soap (dawn soap and water), but I don't think it will get ride of them entirely and it might hurt the plant.

(Attached photo is taken of dead ones I've sprayed with insecticide which were on the side of the pot)
If someone doesn’t help I’ll be back to try and help you after I work out. Hope you get to the bottom of this.
Burnz

*edited
Could we get a whole plant picture?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Spider mites live on the plant and suck the juices out of the leaves, damaging them. If you just have regular bugs that are eating the decomposing growing medium, then I wouldn't be overly concerned, although I would make sure whatever is lurking in your soil won't start eating your roots. Decomposer might benefit your plants if they help to release nutrients back into the soil.Some bugs will live off of your roots, so you need to avoid these types. It all sepends on the type of bug. Indoors, no bugs is best. Outdoors, it's a crap shoot but things usually self regulate to some degree. Watch out for sow/potato bugs... little gray things that look like tiny armadillos and curl up when you poke 'em... they will eat the roots off of your plant if left unchecked.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Those lil red bugs are soil mites. They live in your soil, 2nd Poster was correct, I get them in my worm bins cause well.. they do the same thing the worms do :D

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
If they bug you get some DE into your soil.

Oh gosh

Oh gosh

If you can see them without a loop, they run fast and are hanging out by themselves (not in packs) then they are predatory mites. Come in a few different colors. They eat aphids and thrips. If their there then start checking underside of leaf's with a loop.

Dildo_Shwaggins

Dildo_Shwaggins

If you can see them without a loop, they run fast and are hanging out by themselves (not in packs) then they are predatory mites. Come in a few different colors. They eat aphids and thrips. If their there then start checking underside of leaf's with a loop.
Predatory mites only eat other pests though, so will they harm my plants in any way? They're outdoor plants so as long as my plants aren't being harmed idc if I have them crawling around my soil

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Predatory mites only eat other pests though, so will they harm my plants in any way? They're outdoor plants so as long as my plants aren't being harmed idc if I have them crawling around my soil
Soil mites eat the decaying matter in your medium. Kind of like an earthworm. Just keep an eye on you plants, particularly on the under sides of your leafs if you suspect pests. Do some research in advance so you have an idea Of the different kinds of pests and how they affect your plant. Knowledge is power Happy grows.

Top Bottom