Spindly Deformed Growth.

• Thread starter Amygrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Amygrower

Hi guys. I've tried to do some googling and I can't find anyone with the same problem as me. My plants are under fluorescent lighting, transplanted from pretty rootbound pint size pots into 5 gallon pots. Temps around 21 degrees or 70 Fahrenheit. Humidity about 60%. Been in these pots about 11 days. Watered first after 3 days and the topsoil had dried out but pots at a medium weight. Then waited 7 days for them to dry out a bit more and watered yesterday. What deficiency could this be or could it be genetic? Strain is lemon skunk greenhouse seeds. Also at this negative stage and considering the size of the plant how often should I water at this stage? Thanks.

Spindly deformed growth
Spindly deformed growth 2
Spindly deformed growth 3
A

Amygrower

Also I'm aware that the lower image is a calcium deficiency, I'm using 80% RO water and growing in coco and I didn't add any calmag when I made up Tue coco for transplant. I have added 1ml/L calmag in my most recent feed. I'm using 1ml/L of Micro Gro and Bloom to make total EC=1.0 and pH=5.8.

A

Amygrower

Add another feed. Your coco is drying out too much. It should always be wet. Your top inch looks bone dry. This will swing ph as those salts build up and you get all sorts locked out. And that twisting is definitely comming from a ph swing.
Thanks for your reply. If I could pick you brains a bit I'd be most grateful. The coco was only watered yesterday and the topsoil is still damp so it must be the lighting making you think its bone dry. I have recently let the topsoil get bone dry down to my second knuckle and I thought this was advised to let it dry right out so the roots search for water. I think you may be onto something though and maybe I am letting them dry out too much. I have always had problems in flower with salt buildup and very low pH giving me bad deficiency symptoms around the 4 week mark into flowering. How often would you be watering a plant like this size in a 5 gallon pot?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Thanks for your reply. If I could pick you brains a bit I'd be most grateful. The coco was only watered yesterday and the topsoil is still damp so it must be the lighting making you think its bone dry. I have recently let the topsoil get bone dry down to my second knuckle and I thought this was advised to let it dry right out so the roots search for water. I think you may be onto something though and maybe I am letting them dry out too much. I have always had problems in flower with salt buildup and very low pH giving me bad deficiency symptoms around the 4 week mark into flowering. How often would you be watering a plant like this size in a 5 gallon pot?

Coco is not soil. You don’t water it the same way. I grow in coco and I would water that size plant twice a day at this point. Coco likes multiple, low EC feeds a day. I water my fabric 5gal pots up to 4 times a day in mid flower.

With coco;
If it’s wet, water it.
If it’s damp, water it.
If it’s dry, you fukt up.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Coco is not soil. You don’t water it the same way. I grow in coco and I would water that size plant twice a day at this point. Coco likes multiple, low EC feeds a day. I water my fabric 5gal pots up to 4 times a day in mid flower.

With coco;
If it’s wet, water it.
If it’s damp, water it.
Been there .
Its tough to run different mediums in the same harvest. Different ph and different watering procedures all together.

A

Amygrower

With coco;
If it’s wet, water it.
If it’s damp, water it.
I have only ever grown in coco so I wouldn't know the difference. I was taught to let it dry out a bit so the roots get bigger searching for water in the early stage. Maybe this advice has been causing all of my problems over the years. I manage this with great results in seedling stage as its very clear when they are dried out and ready to water. I have been told to water 10 times a day in late flower (autofed of course) which I haven't done to be honest. Not sure why I ignored this advice. I do worry about overwatering and root rot if they aren't allowed to dry out and also fungus gnats as the pots are always kept soggy. Maybe if I use nematodes more frequently I can avoid the gnats. I've been taught to use 80% RO water and the Heads 6-9 formula using GH flora series line of nutes and to always hit 1.4EC and pH of 5.8. With the breeds I e chose to grow I've always had calcium problems so I've also been adding calmag. What sort of EC do you water at if you are watering frequently? Thanks for the advice by the way. Just upping my watering frequency may revolutionize my growing. My massive salt buildups which really mess me up around week 4-5 flower may be due to watering only once per day at that stage. Woupd you really recommend watering little plants like that twice per day?

Enforcer

Enforcer

I have only ever grown in coco so I wouldn't know the difference. I was taught to let it dry out a bit so the roots get bigger searching for water in the early stage. Maybe this advice has been causing all of my problems over the years. I manage this with great results in seedling stage as its very clear when they are dried out and ready to water. I have been told to water 10 times a day in late flower (autofed of course) which I haven't done to be honest. Not sure why I ignored this advice. I do worry about overwatering and root rot if they aren't allowed to dry out and also fungus gnats as the pots are always kept soggy. Maybe if I use nematodes more frequently I can avoid the gnats. I've been taught to use 80% RO water and the Heads 6-9 formula using GH flora series line of nutes and to always hit 1.4EC and pH of 5.8. With the breeds I e chose to grow I've always had calcium problems so I've also been adding calmag. What sort of EC do you water at if you are watering frequently? Thanks for the advice by the way. Just upping my watering frequency may revolutionize my growing. My massive salt buildups which really mess me up around week 4-5 flower may be due to watering only once per day at that stage. Woupd you really recommend watering little plants like that twice per day?

I admire your fortitude. You have probably had some frustrating times, but you kept at it and got to harvest. I guarantee you (as much as some guy on the internet can) that setting up auto watering and giving multiple feeds a day will revolutionize your growing.

The “water and wait until dry” is the method used for soil. Works great for soil. But as you know, doing that it coco will lead to salt build up. Which will cause EC spikes and pH swing in the root zone.

My White Widow plants didn’t like more than a 1.5 EC or I would get tip burn. A 1.2 EC seemed to be the sweet spot for me. I fed 3 times a day in flower to about 20% runoff. I kept the pH around 5.8 for awhile. But I kept getting leaf twisting and blotches only on one side. I raised the pH to around 6.0 and the issues improved greatly. Yes, Gnats are a problem. I use some yellow sticky traps to keep thier numbers down and I’m going to try Gnat Nix this next run.

Don’t worry about overwatering coco. Although contrary to popular belief, coco can be overwatered. You have to try really really hard at it. It has excellent drainage qualities and you shouldn’t have any overwatering issues. As for the root health? I use Bio-Cozyme in my reservoir as my enzyme product. It keeps the drippers clear and “eats” up any dead organic matter. I also give them a weekly microbe tea. I use “Recharge” super microbe pack and some added kelp, bubbled for 24 hours and then subbed in by hand for a normal watering.

Yes, feed that plant twice a day. I was feeding these clones twice a day. Auto watering will be a game changer for you. And it’s not that expensive to put a decent system together. Good luck.

DD0203AB 3943 4223 A44D 43D9F51FC056
A

Amygrower

I admire your fortitude. You have probably had some frustrating times, but you kept at it and got to harvest. I guarantee you (as much as some guy on the internet can) that setting up auto watering and giving multiple feeds a day will revolutionize your growing.

The “water and wait until dry” is the method used for soil. Works great for soil. But as you know, doing that it coco will lead to salt build up. Which will cause EC spikes and pH swing in the root zone.

My White Widow plants didn’t like more than a 1.5 EC or I would get tip burn. A 1.2 EC seemed to be the sweet spot for me. I fed 3 times a day in flower to about 20% runoff. I kept the pH around 5.8 for awhile. But I kept getting leaf twisting and blotches only on one side. I raised the pH to around 6.0 and the issues improved greatly. Yes, Gnats are a problem. I use some yellow sticky traps to keep thier numbers down and I’m going to try Gnat Nix this next run.

Don’t worry about overwatering coco. Although contrary to popular belief, coco can be overwatered. You have to try really really hard at it. It has excellent drainage qualities and you shouldn’t have any overwatering issues. As for the root health? I use Bio-Cozyme in my reservoir as my enzyme product. It keeps the drippers clear and “eats” up any dead organic matter. I also give them a weekly microbe tea. I use “Recharge” super microbe pack and some added kelp, bubbled for 24 hours and then subbed in by hand for a normal watering.

Yes, feed that plant twice a day. I was feeding these clones twice a day. Auto watering will be a game changer for you. And it’s not that expensive to put a decent system together. Good luck.

Those little veggers look beautiful. I wish my plants grew like that. I will certainly start watering these twice a day and see how they respond. I'll have to water these by hand at least for now as I don't have anything set up. My flowering room is completely set up to water automatically and the waste is pumped away automatically. I've got a surprisingly good setup for someone who is hopeless at growing. I'm gonna go with your advice and hopefully it might be the final piece of the puzzle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom