Split main stem at 3 weeks

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hello fellows. This is my second grow. The plants are about half way through week 3 from sprouting.

They sprouted and stretched. I had read that working/bending/twisting the stem as it is young will help strengthen it when it's older. The plants have finally developed fairly rigid main stem.

Well 2 days ago I went to squish the stems (a la supercropping). Got the normal "tissue breaking" feel, but must have squished too hard and slightly flattened the stems. As such, one stem is split on both sides, and the other has one split.

Is this cause for concern?

Strain is LSD. Currently under LED quantum board about 16 inch above, maybe 65% power.

If I could post 2 questions in 1 thread: out looks like the leaves have just begun to canoe. I raised the light a little bit. Currently sits at maybe 71 deg F ambient near plant and 70 pct humidity. Any advice?

Thank you all for your help and expertise. I love you 😘

Split main stem at 3 weeks
Split main stem at 3 weeks 2
Split main stem at 3 weeks 3
Split main stem at 3 weeks 4
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Wrap it with a pipe cleaner or something soft and give it 3 or 4 days and it will be fine. No tape or staples please.
I would smear a thin coat of raw honey on the break also to prevent any issues.

"Remember, if it ain't broke, you're not trying." ~Red Green

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Wrap it with a pipe cleaner or something soft and give it 3 or 4 days and it will be fine. No tape or staples please.
I would smear a thin coat of raw honey on the break also to prevent any issues.

"Remember, if it ain't broke, you're not trying." ~Red Green
I was gonna say use "Duct tape", every handyman's secret weapon...Right? 🤣

Seriously though, we had 2 branches broke on our last grow, we used pipe cleaners around it for a few days, more if needed, they'll build callouses around the wound and in no time you can remove the "crutches" 🙃, no problem! 👍🤙

We have pics somewhere too, but gotta look for them...lol

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

I was gonna say use "Duct tape", every handyman's secret weapon...Right? 🤣

Seriously though, we had 2 branches broke on our last grow, we used pipe cleaners around it for a few days, more if needed, they'll build callouses around the wound and in no time you can remove the "crutches" 🙃, no problem! 👍🤙

We have pics somewhere too, but gotta look for them...lol...UPDATE: Pics below, calloused where the wounds were...👍👌
20210812 212630

Beazy

Beazy

Painters tape works great for breaks. Once the plant is healthy and growing good it’ll just split the tape and keep on goin.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

The cut is not fresh, I actually split them 3 days ago. The cut looks hardened. Will binding it tightly help any?

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

In the future, do not super-crop the main stem below your first node. In fact, I try very hard to not even touch the plant between the first node and the soil, ever.

Super-cropping is a way to break apical dominance by gently damaging the plant and flopping your growth tips/branches toward open space.

Your plant should be just fine - I’ve put holes in my branches doing the same thing and they didn’t seem to mind too much - I use blue painters tape as well because it sticks to itself really well, but can be removed easily when needed.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I suppose I will leave it alone. I've probably let too much time pass since inflicting the wound.

As a tip for others: they do sell gardening tape for just such an occasion. What I use for snapped stems is medical tape meant for blisters etc. Something you would stick over gauze on skin. It is breathable, and is what I have already. Works pretty good!

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

@GreenMtnGuru : have you seen the YouTube video about "Kyle Kushman chiropractic?" Wherein, after the plants are mature, he quickly twists the stems until you hear a snap? Thereby making the healed breaks stronger... I thought this is what I was doing (stretched seedlings).

Live and learn!

Thank you all, I love you with the purity of a gorilla towards a kitty. And I'm not even high right now.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Here is an update, about 13 days after smashing these stems. Look pretty fat to me. Is it a good thing? Videos like "Kyle Kushman chiropractic" say that injuring stems to create a healed knuckle means it works better.

PXL 20210823 202841974
PXL 20210823 202846729
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Ya man it will be fine but in the future wait for the plant to be more mature before you start super cropping. Never the main stem only the side branches and very top of the main stem. Once they gain some size then super crop and lst your branches. I could barely wait my first go around too I tied my main branches over when they were super young lol be patient that’s the key.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ya man it will be fine but in the future wait for the plant to be more mature before you start super cropping. Never the main stem only the side branches and very top of the main stem. Once they gain some size then super crop and lst your branches. I could barely wait my first go around too I tied my main branches over when they were super young lol be patient that’s the key.
You can bend and train them as soon as they get more than an inch tall. Bend the main, That's how Bonsai are made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom