Splotchy Plant - First Time

• Thread starter Grajo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grajo

Grajo

First time grower. Using Jack Herer #2 bag seed dropped in shot glass 3 weeks ago. FFOF natures miracle super soil 5 gallon bags. HLG 135 r spec 24” in a 3x2. Noticed like three gnats early on but they disappeared before I transplanted from solo cups (sprayed neem 1 week ago as a precaution). 1/3 plants is splotchy and leaves felt very thin. First though was Mg so I did an epsom spray about a week ago. I also rotated positions with another plant in case of light/wind. New growth is still splotchy and the only thing I could point to was Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Healthy plant uploaded as control (blue tag).

Thanks in advance!

Splotchy plant   first time
Splotchy plant   first time 2
Splotchy plant   first time 3
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I’m gonna guess genetics. You’ve done way more than should be needed at this point. You are indoors in new tent and everything? I would not expect an exotic disease.

I regularly cull seeds I paid for. Bag seed is suspect by its very nature. Unless your source is somebody breeding I suppose. Then I could see seeds in quality plants there intentionally.

Grajo

Grajo

Temps around 80 humidity was 50 but I started aiming for 60 after seeing a vapor pressure chart. I have been away a few days anunable to fill the humidifier but it is a stable 50 without anyways. AC infinity controller 67 with scaling enabled with a min speed set.

Do soil temps very that much pot to pot? This one was originally at the edge of the light near the humidifier. I swapped it with the other shown to the other side of light. I had a late bloomer that is in the middle. They are on risers in drain trays.

All new gear.

Of the three seeds I popped this is the only one showing but could just be the pheno. I have legit seeds on the way.

Scared to cull when I don’t know if I have girls yet. Considering doing an early flower to sex and then reveg into a manifold.

It could still be mg I went light on the solution bcs I was unsure and it’s just flat hard to measure for the 16oz spray bottle I am using. I did spray and water with super thrive but doubt that matters.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
the meaning of soil too hot- the nutrients in the soil could be a little strong for her at a young age.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i ended up transplanting to a bigger pot (from 1 to 3 gal) and i knocked a bit of the soil off (shouldnt really do that, but it was hurting her!) and now she is the doing well and definitely the widest i have! the growth that was splotchy is still splotchy (look at lower leaves), but new growth is good now.

interestingly, this one "grew back" where i fimmed her. weird, huh?

when i was fiddling with the plants i knocked her over. i use a "water only" "super soil" in the bottom 1/3 of the pot and the rest ff bushdoctor (i did not get the one you are using because i saw where it was too "hot" for some young plants. so the "super soil" a very rich soil, got in with the rest and she started showing these signs within a day and at 3 or 4 days she was splotchy a lot!

may have nothing to do with things, but that looks a lot like mine, to the untrained me.

but again, i know nothing!

20210402 072725

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i ended up transplanting to a bigger pot (from 1 to 3 gal) and i knocked a bit of the soil off (shouldnt really do that, but it was hurting her!) and now she is the doing well and definitely the widest i have! the growth that was splotchy is still splotchy (look at lower leaves), but new growth is good now.

interestingly, this one "grew back" where i fimmed her. weird, huh?

when i was fiddling with the plants i knocked her over. i use a "water only" "super soil" in the bottom 1/3 of the pot and the rest ff bushdoctor (i did not get the one you are using because i saw where it was too "hot" for some young plants. so the "super soil" a very rich soil, got in with the rest and she started showing these signs within a day and at 3 or 4 days she was splotchy a lot!

may have nothing to do with things, but that looks a lot like mine, to the untrained me.

but again, i know nothing!

View attachment 1109249
c’mon yes you know stuff from experience and your experience is similar to this grow, even being new!
i think your right!
good job for helping out this person!

Grajo

Grajo

😅 I should know was hot soil is, it was late at night lol. Was totally about to stick a thermometer into my dirt though.

I actually think ivstealth hit the nail on the head. I dropped one while I was transplanting and the root ball broke apart. Didn’t pay attention to which plant.Her solo cup of seedling mix isn’t there anymore.

So solutions? I have heard you really don’t want to flush super soil or even runoff. Will she grow into it? In reality if I manifold all those leaves are coming off anyways.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
well sounds like she’s been through a bit, i’d just keep the environment dialed in and leave it alone unless a watering is needed.. the less touchy feely you are with her the better/faster she’ll recover, growth will probably be a little slow, so don’t get inpatient, your still very early in the grow.
maybe @lvstealth has some advice, sounds like the grows are similar.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
transplant her, since she has a big pot, you can take her out, shake some of the dirt from her and plant in new soil. the super soil should be in the bottom third, and a good potting soil in the rest. at least that is what i did. her roots will recover and she will start reaching down to the super soil part when she wants to. if you leave her alone, she will not look good, and wont grow as good. but once i transplanted her, she really took off!

shes bagseed, so more than likely photo, so she will recover in time. i did not immediately transplant mine, and she acted like she wasnt dying, but not really growing either, and all growth had the splotchy look.

once i transplanted her, it was like BAM! she took off

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sorry I didn’t mean to cull her (him) yet just not to expect great genetics from bagseed. You are getting good advice on how to help it along and yes root damage will stunt a plant. Now that you are at this point the fun part is figuring out how to fix it. When you hear growers say to listen to their plants it’s this kind of experience that taught them how. Learning happens in mistakes.

good luck with the grow.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
yes, ive been thinking...

if it is bag seed these days, it has a good chance as having started as a photo, and a statistical probability of having come from a hermied plant since any grower would isolate the $ crop from pollination - so any pollination would be accidental. some would have hermied, and some may have been pollinated by a hermied plant, but either way its genetics have a distinct possibility, if not a probability of being of hermie genetics and hermie-ing its little genes onward!

Grajo

Grajo

Yea I have about 20 seeds coming from seeds man but wanted to get started making my mistakes (and not kill my only seed of the strain). Was pissed when I got it bcs it was supposed to be 💎 💎 top shelf. Think someone fucked up breeding or was making fem seeds. Could only find one reference to Jack Herer #2 and it was on some strain dna constellation website. Upside is it was the kick in the pants I needed to never buy a again.

I will try to gently get some new weaker soil around her rootball. She’s in a 5gall and there just isn’t room in the tent for anything bigger. Only the bottom 3rd is my super mix.

Thanks for the help everyone! Looking forward to posting my results.

Top Bottom