Spots on leaves, looks different to me

• Thread starter Tyler E
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tyler E

Hi, my friend gave me a couple seedlings- I've only had them about ten days. But yesterday I noticed these white spots on the leaves. I've been staring at pictures of spotting online but everything looks a bit different from what I'm seeing in these guys. It's still cold here in Edmonton, so I've been keeping them indoors at night, and placing them on the deck during the day. Please share your advice, as I want to get rid of this ASAP. Thank you all.

Spots on leaves looks different to me
Spots on leaves looks different to me 2
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I suspect sunburn. But have you looked underneath the affected leaves? Could also be mites or some other pest.
That's my two cents but more pics will help more.

FTCG

FTCG

Thrip damage. They bite the leaves and shit out a sugary substance to attract more thrips and lay eggs.

Beware when recieving plants from anyone.

It's very hard to get rid of a thrip infestation.

If you have other plants then toss it out, or they will spread for sure to the rest of your plants.

Plants that get thrips, will always get them over and over, not sure why but the cutting seems to have a weakened defense.

chemistry

chemistry

The gnarled tip and colour look like over watering or a PH issue.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Damage on plant leaves can take a week or more to show up. The damage you are seeing could have occurred before you got them, or could have had something splashed on them. I've never had Thrips, but I've battled spider mites and White Flies, and it doesn't look like either of those. Is this the only leaf affected or are other leaves/plants looking the same. If it is just one leaf, I wouldn't worry. Do a close visual inspection of the leaves undersides, which is where bugs usually like to hang out. Sometimes they are so tiny, you can barely see them and are easily missed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think we are a few weeks late for the op but if that stuff is gritty on the leaf it looks like powdery mildew.

lunarob

lunarob

On Thrips

...don't read if you don't have thrips because u might get bored and I got rambling wanting to describe my experience..
I've just experienced and fought off thrips. My leaves first were spotty...but very silvery small spots that later appear like trails. When a leaf had been damaged excessively they became more silvery but with no yellowing and surprisingly still lived. I'm sure they weren't happy. They came when it became cold and dry here where its usually very humid and hot. I finally recognized the adults clearly on the leaves that I thought were first gnats...dark with a jumpy flealike flight. Then I noticed the young ones..very small light reddish brown..lying in the vein of leaves on top. At this point I didn't need to look for smaller evidence. And because I've killed many plants with my "ideas" I was avoiding applying anything. But I ran out of neem oil and my patience ran its course and I got tired of rubbing them off with my fingers. Soooo I made a weak solution of things I had....I settled on about two drops of hand soap to a teas. to a tbsp. of coconut oil...enough to emulsify the oil into a full spray bottle of water(1qt.?) umm...at my own risk. Tested it on an adult thrip and watched it die...tried water to compare (didn't die and moved about). No lie...sprayed it once everywhere....leaves..soil....tent...and it worked. Next day nothing...wow. When temps were cold the coconut oil would solidify like dust on the leaves that didn't harm the leaves. I speculate that this viscocity in fats like coconut oil makes it hard for a thrip to breathe and move about. Anyways...I kept a very slight solution...less and less..in water that I sprayed here and there. Totally surprised that it worked and that I didn't kill my second, nicely trained, up and comer bush. Beware of what kind of soap though. I have no problem and am curious about trying this again. Not the infestation part. I don't think you have thrips though...there's no outside-in scar pattern...only what I described above. Also I believe there are two kinds of thrips. So that's what I learned about my thrips.. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom