Sprouting Question for My Co Co conspirators (I'm terrible)

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Made the leap, got a bag of Canna Coco that I'm going to mix with 30% perlite. I got the Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect line for coco noobs :) I talked to Advanced on the phone and they said I'd be all good to start the seeds directly in wet coco in solo cups. Then to start with 1/4 strength Voodoo and B-52 when first true leaves show, then 1/4 strength A+B, Voodoo and B-52 once second leaves show. Does this sound good? Should I paper towel before the solo cups? Any other suggestions? I'm fairly comfortable with soil and I feel like I have very good watering habits (as far as over/under) for a beginner so I was hoping to start the seeds right in the coco. But if I'm crazy please tell me.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Trying out 2 test seeds that I'm not worried if I lose. If those go well, planting the new seeds next week. Wish me luck!

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Coco with no nutrients for starting seeds should be fine.
Thanks! A little reassurance is always appreciated when venturing into new territory. If direct doesn't do great, I'll do paper towel method. I'll let you know how it goes!

Terpz719

Terpz719

Thanks! A little reassurance is always appreciated when venturing into new territory. If direct doesn't do great, I'll do paper towel method. I'll let you know how it goes!
FWIW, I prefer starting them in coco/perlite over plugs for a couple of reasons. They're going to end up in the coco/perlite anyway and I rarely have to manually remove a seed hull, versus frequently when I was starting them in plugs. I think it may have something to do with friction against the hull.

Having said that, I do the initial germination in paper towels because I want to be able to see if it opened and it started a tap root - no wondering what's going on down in the coco. Good luck!

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

FWIW, I prefer starting them in coco/perlite over plugs for a couple of reasons. They're going to end up in the coco/perlite anyway and I rarely have to manually remove a seed hull, versus frequently when I was starting them in plugs. I think it may have something to do with friction against the hull.

Having said that, I do the initial germination in paper towels because I want to be able to see if it opened and it started a tap root - no wondering what's going on down in the coco. Good luck!
Thanks! That was my thinking too. I tried plugs for the first time last grow and found what you described, seeds have a hard time shedding their hull.

Top Bottom