Stanley Blower Fans

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

I'm not affiliated with Stanley in any way, but I've noticed an awful lot of pictures with really, really expensive looking fans here.

I'd like to let you all know (if you don't know already) that $40 Stanley Blower fans are the shit. I see one on a regular basis that's been running for ~3 yrs straight, with nothing but an extra ziptie around it at around 2yrs to keep it from rattling a little.

If you've never come across the page on how to mod them, here you go - it's a 5 minute job with nothing but a screwdriver and something to snip the rivets off of a 6" collar (small wire clips work great):
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29341

I don't know what they actually rate at, but it pulls scrubbers just fine and moves a bunch of air really quickly (a guy in the thread says it's about equivalent to his dayton 256, but I have no experience with other fans).

These things are awesome, but make sure you get the right one...they sell a similar looking smaller one now too, and it's not nearly as easy to mod.

true grit

true grit

Good budget info- you should get this thread moved to the DIY section so it doesn't get lost....

S

ShorelineTex

How do I go about doing that? (Sorry...don't even have 50 msgs yet, so I can't pm).

S

ShorelineTex

The only thing that has ever, ever, ever made me want to say "I love you, Stanley."

Stan
Giddeon

Giddeon

I have used these fans for a few years now and still have the original ones I bought they are durable and work great. After using these fans in literally over 100 applications, IMO they work the best for exhausting Drying areas. :anim_52:

G

greenthumbbumb

Had mine exhausting a 400w hps cooltube for over a year now, works great.

L

Lost

Just an FYI, harbor Freight has an industrial version. Its 54 bucks and its nicer than the stanley :)

I have 4 of them now blowing on my bare bulbs..

B

boroboro

are you saying this is a good replacement for an inline?

Yep. The 'mod' is just adding a duct for air intake on top of the fan's air intake grate.

Mine has been running for over a year now. Not a stanley, some other blue colored brand I picked up on sale at a Lowe's. It's set up to pull out of the light and filter, and then push air outside.

In my current grow I noticed a bit of smell in the exhaust, despite a new CAN filter and all connections appearing tight. I think I might have to look at this fan again, maybe disassemble it, and see if maybe it has an air intake path other than the one I routed to the ducting.

E

ent

I should also add that mine my runs pretty quiet.

these are great fans for the beginning setup. not quite the flow of a 4" vortex but for $50-60, you can't beat it. i used one for about 2 years to vent two 600w out of an outdoor shed and it worked great. i replaced it with a vortex but i still use the stanley regularly to help dry a wet floor or help with drying finished product, or as an inline booster. it just comes in handy having it around for those times i need an extra bit of air movement.

the fan boroboro is talking about is manufactured by the same company that manufactures the stanley models. almost identical.

B

Bizee

Wow, awesome post thanks so much, you just saved me a lot of money!! I've seen these fans go for as cheap as $30 online!!!

Thanks again for this monster post!

B

budlover

I agree got mine at walmarts for 39$ 2years ago great investment can be modifide in many ways and quiet as well. little trip to home depot and can get about anything to modify them with in the heating and air section..moves alot of air..

Peace and goodluck hope it helps

budlover

I

irie

these are great fans for the beginning setup. not quite the flow of a 4" vortex but for $50-60, you can't beat it.

Not sure, but my buddy next door just got a 4" vortex and it is rated at a pitiful 178 cfm or something rather low. I noticed they go up significantly with size, i.e. my old 10" one was rated in high 700s for cfm and a 12" pulls way over 1000

That said, I LOVE the stanley fans and similar makes. I actually use a Lasko, which was about $50 at walmart. It's pimpin.

I'm cooling two 6 bangers no problem and it could easily cool two 1ks. It has a three speed setting which is nice so I can dial it down if it's a bit cooler in the room or crank it when it gets hotter. Oh, and it has two plugs built into the side so I can easily plug my sulphur burner in when necessary.

Stanley, Lasko, TruTech...those brands make wicked nice blowers. I set my whole exhaust up for about $60 including the ducting, collars, and tape.

A vortex is nice, but if you're on a budget this works just as well.

Top Bottom