Start feeding?

• Thread starter BurnzYzBudZz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Today is day 25 veg. Haven’t fed because of the FFOF nutes after up pot. I see the new growth coming in pretty yellow but definitely turning green as they grow. Shall I start my FNgrow nutes? I am going to peroxide wash my medium today as I see some aphids. Should I start my feed my next water after the peroxide wash? Thanks in advance.
Burnz

Start feeding
Start feeding 2
Vagician

Vagician

Dig up 1 cup of soil from about halfway down the container, at the edge of the pot so you disturb the roots less. Put this cup of soil in a container with 2 cups of distilled water and swirl it around to mix. Let the slurry sit for 30-60 minutes. Check the pH and more importantly the EC of the soil/water slurry. If your EC/ppm is less than 1.0 EC/500 ppm then I'd start a light feeding. If it is above that then wait another week and test again. You could also get an idea of your soil nutrient level by just watering with plain tap water and checking the runoff pH/EC/ppm.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Dig up 1 cup of soil from about halfway down the container, at the edge of the pot so you disturb the roots less. Put this cup of soil in a container with 2 cups of distilled water and swirl it around to mix. Let the slurry sit for 30-60 minutes. Check the pH and more importantly the EC of the soil/water slurry. If your EC/ppm is less than 1.0 EC/500 ppm then I'd start a light feeding. If it is above that then wait another week and test again. You could also get an idea of your soil nutrient level by just watering with plain tap water and checking the runoff pH/EC/ppm.
Thanks @Vagician. I just got done doing a peroxide flush because there was some indications on aphids. Should have done it before I planted. I will let soil dry out and do the slurry test. When I bought my EC meter it didn’t come with the 1413 solution to calibrate. Anything else I can use to calibrate? Thanks.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

How close are your lights? Looks like you could have some light shock happening.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
How close are your lights? Looks like you could have some light shock happening.
Approximately 22” was at 24” couple days ago. Shall I raise another 10” or so?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Approximately 22” was at 24” couple days ago. Shall I raise another 10” or so?

Couldn't hurt. See how the tops of the leaves look like skin burns and they're curving horizontally at the tips? Honestly the soil might also be too hot as is, the couple tips curling down and very dark green intraveinal growth could indicate that. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't add any nutes at all until it tells you it needs them by letting the new growth get to a brighter green.

The reason I moved away from having nutes in the soil as opposed to adding them is that when they're in the soil, like in FFOF, every water releases nutes. It's much easier to back off feeding if something gets too hot in a lighter mix.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Couldn't hurt. See how the tops of the leaves look like skin burns and they're curving horizontally at the tips? Honestly the soil might also be too hot as is, the couple tips curling down and very dark green intraveinal growth could indicate that. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't add any nutes at all until it tells you it needs them by letting the new growth get to a brighter green.

The reason I moved away from having nutes in the soil as opposed to adding them is that when they're in the soil, like in FFOF, every water releases nutes. It's much easier to back off feeding if something gets too hot in a lighter mix.
Thanks for that.. I moved the lights up to about 36”. I haven’t fed anything other than what’s in the soil. I don’t think the hydro shop takes very good care of their soil while it’s sitting for sale. Definitely aphids but I have sprayed and did the wash today. I have learned a lot from this first grow and learning constantly. As I don’t have a little heater, have been struggling to keep the temps up and humidity down as it’s been raining and a bit cooler in Cali. I think this has to do with the slower growth I have been seeing compared to my outdoor plants which seem to be zooming. Thanks again for your knowledge.
Burnz

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Thanks for that.. I moved the lights up to about 36”. I haven’t fed anything other than what’s in the soil. I don’t think the hydro shop takes very good care of their soil while it’s sitting for sale. Definitely aphids but I have sprayed and did the wash today. I have learned a lot from this first grow and learning constantly. As I don’t have a little heater, have been struggling to keep the temps up and humidity down as it’s been raining and a bit cooler in Cali. I think this has to do with the slower growth I have been seeing compared to my outdoor plants which seem to be zooming. Thanks again for your knowledge.
Burnz

I would have much less knowledge without the awesome humans on this site sharing theirs! Just passing it forward homes.

Yes, hydro and garden shops frequently don't take care of their soil at all. If it doesn't feel light and fluffy in the bag, and especially if the contents are wet, don't buy it.

Also depending on the type of aphids, you may want to consider just repotting into a clean mix. If they're root aphids, it's likely not worth the risk or frustration to keep running in those pots through flower.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
NO! YOU CAN"T DO THAT. oops sorry for yelling I get excited sometimes. What can you get from a deep soil slurry test that you can't get from a run off test? A run off test gives you the same results Or close enough so that there's no need to damage roots. If you're talking about growing turnips then fine but pot has way too many roots to go cutting through for no real reason

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
NO! YOU CAN"T DO THAT. oops sorry for yelling I get excited sometimes. What can you get from a deep soil slurry test that you can't get from a run off test? A run off test gives you the same results Or close enough so that there's no need to damage roots. If you're talking about growing turnips then fine but pot has way too many roots to go cutting through for no real reason
I have heard nothing but good things about the slurry test. Don’t think I will attempt this late but once I get the 1413 solution to calibrate my EC meter I will better understand what’s going on in the soil. Thanks everyone.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have heard nothing but good things about the slurry test. Don’t think I will attempt this late but once I get the 1413 solution to calibrate my EC meter I will better understand what’s going on in the soil. Thanks everyone.
Sure a slurry test is more accurate no argument there but what are you looking for? If you're looking for #'s to read and the run off test says your ph or ec or ppm is X the slurry test will be X +- a couple of points and not off enough to change the results. Example I did runoff test and it said my ph was low 5.30 So the suggestions were slurry test from everyone to see how accurate that was. I did the slurry test with a coring tool I made and as I pushed it into the soil I could feel it cutting through roots to get the soil. The results were 5.35 WTF who cares about .05 change it still read low ph. The same actions have to be taken to remedy the soil. Your not looking for a 100% accurate reading imho you want to know your soil conditions and cutting roots doesn't doesn't help your readings

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Sure a slurry test is more accurate no argument there but what are you looking for? If you're looking for #'s to read and the run off test says your ph or ec or ppm is X the slurry test will be X +- a couple of points and not off enough to change the results. Example I did runoff test and it said my ph was low 5.30 So the suggestions were slurry test from everyone to see how accurate that was. I did the slurry test with a coring tool I made and as I pushed it into the soil I could feel it cutting through roots to get the soil. The results were 5.35 WTF who cares about .05 change it still read low ph. The same actions have to be taken to remedy the soil. Your not looking for a 100% accurate reading imho you want to know your soil conditions and cutting roots doesn't doesn't help your readings
Definitely not doing a slurry test this late as I will probably disturb the roots. I am trying to gauge when to start my feed. My EC meter isn’t calibrated and I don’t have any 1413 solution to calibrate. I will be reading my plants as of now and going to flush next water to gauge what my water is looking like. I’m in FFOF so the plants will feed off that for now, been roughly 2 weeks since up potting.

Top Bottom