Starting Germinated Seeds In Hot Weather?

• Thread starter DTOM420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DTOM420

DTOM420

It’s hitting 100° almost daily lately and I have some seeds germinating right now. I don’t have an indoor light and I’m wondering if I can put the seeds (once they sprout) directly into some grow bags, where they’ll ultimately be, or if it’d be better to keep them in plastic cups for a while first? If I do put them straight into the grow bags, I’d put them in a shaded spot and water them a couple times a day with a few drops from a wet paper towel.

If I really need them under an indoor light for a while, can I make do with an inexpensive 2’ 4 bulb 6400k T5 fixture from Amazon?

These are auto fem White Widow and auto fem Amnesia Haze seeds. I have some regular seeds coming so the question will apply to them also. Thanks, in advance, to those that reply

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
It’s hitting 100° almost daily lately and I have some seeds germinating right now. I don’t have an indoor light and I’m wondering if I can put the seeds (once they sprout) directly into some grow bags, where they’ll ultimately be, or if it’d be better to keep them in plastic cups for a while first? If I do put them straight into the grow bags, I’d put them in a shaded spot and water them a couple times a day with a few drops from a wet paper towel.

If I really need them under an indoor light for a while, can I make do with an inexpensive 2’ 4 bulb 6400k T5 fixture from Amazon?

These are auto fem White Widow and auto fem Amnesia Haze seeds. I have some regular seeds coming so the question will apply to them also. Thanks, in advance, to those that reply
Start autos in what you plan to finish with

DTOM420

DTOM420

Start autos in what you plan to finish with

But should those containers be inside under lights first, for a period of time, or is it safe to start them outside even when temps are this high?

My guess is that, as long as the soil stays moist, starting seeds in hot weather is just fine. Am I correct?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
But should those containers be inside under lights first, for a period of time, or is it safe to start them outside even when temps are this high?

My guess is that, as long as the soil stays moist, starting seeds in hot weather is just fine. Am I correct?
I like to start them inside.. Then harden them to outside. Taking them out to sun a little more every day. You dont have to being them back inside every day.. Just put them in the shade.

DTOM420

DTOM420

I like to start them inside.. Then harden them to outside. Taking them out to sun a little more every day. You dont have to being them back inside every day.. Just put them in the shade.

When you start them indoors, like you're saying, you keep them under a light, correct? Would a inexpensive T5 4-bulb light work ok? Amazon has some for $60-$70. I'm planning to put these in 10 gallon and 15 gallon bags, so I'd need 2-3 lights to cover all 10 bags I have. That's why I thought I'd start them outside in the shade. Moving those bigger bags far will also be a pain.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
When you start them indoors, like you're saying, you keep them under a light, correct? Would a inexpensive T5 4-bulb light work ok? Amazon has some for $60-$70. I'm planning to put these in 10 gallon and 15 gallon bags, so I'd need 2-3 lights to cover all 10 bags I have. That's why I thought I'd start them outside in the shade. Moving those bigger bags far will also be a pain.
Oh sure..you can get a 10 dollar shop light from walmart and grow em

Freshone

Freshone

Costco has some 4k led shoplights for 19.99 each right now,i just bought 2 and thought they would do great for seedlings.
Im using one as a shoplight and its damn brite,the other im saving to try in my veg room.

Buddo

Buddo

Hi DTOM420, each to their own on this one.

I start autos in a polytunnel, temps as high as 110’, I water my pot soil(5gal fully saturated) , poke a hole with a pencil (nib deep) cover with a little soil, few squirts of mist on planting and each day after....and their off.

In my opinion, it’s not the heat or light it’s the wind that can cause your seedling shit, if it’s shelter from it then I think you’ll be ok.

This is just my personal opinion/experience with growing under sunlight, what has already be stated will get your autos there, in the safest way possible I guess.

Good luck bro

Peace.

DTOM420

DTOM420

Hi DTOM420, each to their own on this one.

I start autos in a polytunnel, temps as high as 110’, I water my pot soil(5gal fully saturated) , poke a hole with a pencil (nib deep) cover with a little soil, few squirts of mist on planting and each day after....and their off.

In my opinion, it’s not the heat or light it’s the wind that can cause your seedling shit, if it’s shelter from it then I think you’ll be ok.

This is just my personal opinion/experience with growing under sunlight, what has already be stated will get your autos there, in the safest way possible I guess.

Good luck bro

Peace.

@Buddo - Thanks brotger, I followed your advic. I made humidity tents out of clear water jugs and put Saran Wrap I’ve the smaller pots. That should help mitigate the wind and make sure they don’t dry out between waterings.

C8C1F5B3 6984 4129 B2DF A1E58C59805B
279BC951 CC31 4B59 937F F68FC59419C6
Buddo

Buddo

Like you I’m completely new to any forum, I’ve been growing awhile and never really documented anything , I joined the farm to gain greater knowledge and to find out what’s going on the cannabis community. There are millions upon millions of threads and comments to look up and IMO it can be extremely daunting for a first time grower to decipher the info and use it in their grow.

The greatest advice I’ve ever taken is KISS (keep it simple stoner) and do your homework- the homework part can be hard,as mentioned there’s a lot of info. There’s a good couple of “grow bibles”out there that home-in on the basics.

IMO the variables in cannabis growing differ from individual places, people, strains, medium type,feeds, lighting, methods.. on and on and on, what will work for you may not have worked for others and vice versa.

I’ve used the wrap/bottle method for popping seeds and ...I have not, bothways work for me ( btw I love that frog haha).

I can see you got your pots and you haven’t asked about soil or nutes so your already on your way.

On the topic of heat, here’s a post of a 21 day old auto and it’s temp/humid:

EA515AB0 7DCA 40EB 846A 05956BFDC83D
View attachment 818956

Above 100F, the conditions were similar - very similar from planting.

Regarding your regular/pheno/photoperiod keep your watering in check one of the biggest mistakes made is overwatering in the early stage. as I’m sure your aware you’ll be doing a lot more work with these as they’ll finish when they are ready and not on the clock, as your girls grow she will require more water and more feed (providing that you are using feed) - I just use tap/rain water these days, that’s another topic.

With heat comes perspiration keep a check on it as when your plants mature they start to suck it up.

Here’s an example of 2 plants the first is on the verge of watering the second should have recived atleast 12 to 18 prior:

A-ok
A33EC20A EB3F 4C45 B8D9 37D6B6FB709B

Needs water
7C3F6734 FECA 4124 AB7A 73FB34E55A8F

Can you see it? Over time you’ll start get a feel for your herb.

What ever the reason for growing the main thing is to enjoy it... good luck Bro.

Peace.

29F73AC7 87C5 4B7F BB3B 82F985701A4E
Top Bottom