Starting My First Grow Soon. Need Advice!

• Thread starter FOURMOST
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Hello internet people. I will be starting my first grow soon and would like some advice. This will be a test grow for me so I'm starting small. I've ordered some Blueberry Kush AUTOFLOWER FEM seeds from Nirvana and a 3 X 2 grow tent.

I was planning on using 2 VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light for total of 900WATTS. Do you guys think it's too much for the plant(s)? The tent is 5 FT in height if relevant at all. I will be growing one or two autoflower plants so the lights will be on 24/7, so Do I start at 450 WATTS for VEG and when It begins to flower do I use all 900 WATTS?

I've heard that people even put autoflower veg plants into flowering rooms until harvest time. I've also read that autoflowers don't like transplanting so you have to plant the seedling into the final size pot, does the same logic apply to the grow lights?

Enlighten me please!

This is my first grow ever, I've never grown anything before in my life so I'm having some trouble with this.I believe I read something somewhere about using 32 WATTS of lights per square foot of grow space but the number just seems too low in my opinion. I've read some guides and watched countless youtube videos but the information is just overwhelming.

keeping the electric bill as low as possible and stealth is a priority. I have no issues with dropping coin on good equipment so long as it doesn't affect my electric bill too bad.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Hello,
Well, I can say that anyone who starts off in this hobby is excited. I can tell you are lol but I think you might be over thinking things atm. For a first grow, start small. As far as LED technology, I would say go for it from an effecintcy stand point (I've never used them) the worst thing you can do is over think the process. We all do at some point. I've learned along the way that keeping things as simple as possible (as far as planning goes) is the best route... There are truly only a few things needed to decide at this point in your adventure. Soil or hydro, nutrients, lighting and ventilation... I do hydro and keep it as simple as possible. Just give good amount of light and right amount of food and your golden... If you would like a check list of things to have ready, I wouldn't mind giving you a list of things to get and have ready.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Hello,
Well, I can say that anyone who starts off in this hobby is excited. I can tell you are lol but I think you might be over thinking things atm. For a first grow, start small. As far as LED technology, I would say go for it from an effecintcy stand point (I've never used them) the worst thing you can do is over think the process. We all do at some point. I've learned along the way that keeping things as simple as possible (as far as planning goes) is the best route... There are truly only a few things needed to decide at this point in your adventure. Soil or hydro, nutrients, lighting and ventilation... I do hydro and keep it as simple as possible. Just give good amount of light and right amount of food and your golden... If you would like a check list of things to have ready, I wouldn't mind giving you a list of things to get and have ready.
Ayy!!! Someone replied, Awesome. I was thinking of doing coconut coir so pretty much hydroponics I think? I would like a DWC setup but thats just extra electricity being used when I can just water it myself.

Molenium

Molenium

For starters, worry about essentials. Lights ,airflow, temp etc etc. All the other shit will happen later or...never at all, but for good reason. Going from my experience, I had this perfect picture down to the T of and during my first grow. Mistake? Eh, I got good bud and was proud and happy enough to keep going. My mistake was wasting time buying stupid shit I could elsewhere (not from hydro). The bud doesn't care what the room LOOKS like...go with the flow, stay simple.....no hydro, that's 2 new things in one. My bad stoned mumble. Essentials, logic, bud

Molenium

Molenium

Hello internet people. I will be starting my first grow soon and would like some advice. This will be a test grow for me so I'm starting small. I've ordered some Blueberry Kush AUTOFLOWER FEM seeds from Nirvana and a 3 X 2 grow tent.

I was planning on using 2 VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light for total of 900WATTS. Do you guys think it's too much for the plant(s)? The tent is 5 FT in height if relevant at all. I will be growing one or two autoflower plants so the lights will be on 24/7, so Do I start at 450 WATTS for VEG and when It begins to flower do I use all 900 WATTS?

I've heard that people even put autoflower veg plants into flowering rooms until harvest time. I've also read that autoflowers don't like transplanting so you have to plant the seedling into the final size pot, does the same logic apply to the grow lights?

Enlighten me please!

This is my first grow ever, I've never grown anything before in my life so I'm having some trouble with this.I believe I read something somewhere about using 32 WATTS of lights per square foot of grow space but the number just seems too low in my opinion. I've read some guides and watched countless youtube videos but the information is just overwhelming.

keeping the electric bill as low as possible and stealth is a priority. I have no issues with dropping coin on good equipment so long as it doesn't affect my electric bill too bad.
Just read it all the way through..a few times. Why did you order the gear if you don't know if it will work lol, the hydro guy tell you? "Some people" doesn't mean shit unless you've seen it...live not youtube. "Some people" blow smone out of their ass holes too. Wayyyyy too much light for auto flower. I still can't see the logic in buying that large of an order if there is no experience. If money isn't an issue rent a warehouse or a different pad, be harder to fuck up that way. Respect but man....man. some people don't get it.

"Your killig your father larry!"

Molenium

Molenium

The important things too like light vent etc if you read my post are first and foremost the most important, I'd pay top dollar for fresh air. A plants no different. Hydro is more complicated than it sounds, and a wetness and mind if it breaks. Peat and perlite (coco too) and some castings. Or half soil half peat and perlie. No hydro no hydro. Growing weed is anything but simple. Lol man some people!!!

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Ayy!!! Someone replied, Awesome. I was thinking of doing coconut coir so pretty much hydroponics I think? I would like a DWC setup but thats just extra electricity being used when I can just water it myself.
Yes, technically Coco is a hydro medium but my i offer a suggestion? Go buy a book called The marijuana growers hand book by Ed Rosenthal. A little dated but don't be fooled. It's one of the best books on the subject I've ever read also Don't do DWC just yet... It can be a pain if your not familiar with the principals of hydro. One of the easiest and almost fool proof methods is flood and drain. You can scrounge up alot of the materials for free or dirt cheap. It's a tried and true method that I love. Simplicity is King in my opinion... As for what Molenium has said, I politely disagree. Growing is not hard lol as long as your educated.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Thanks everybody, money isn't an issue in the sense of buying decent nutrients, decent lights with the proper spectrum, an RO filter system,etc, for this small project but I don't have coin to buy a warehouse lol I just meant to say that I'm not a kid trying to grow an ounce in a uhaul cardboard box with cfls because he has no income to purchase better lights or a decent grow tent. I'm not going to purchase a $800-$1500 on one grow light, not yet anyway, not for what I need right now. For right now I want to grow 1-2 plants as an experiment and get a feel for how everything works and what I can expect from moving up to maybe a 6 plant grow.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Also quick question, do you guys use an RO system to water your plants?
I've ordered some PH and TDS meters to test the water in my apartment and then I'll make my decision but chances are I will be purchasing a hydrologic stealth 100 RO filtering system to give the plant the best water possible and also for drinking. Having to buy water bottles often is a pain in the ass.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I've ordered some PH and TDS meters to test the water in my apartment and then I'll make my decision but chances are I will be purchasing a hydrologic stealth 100 RO filtering system to give the plant the best water possible and also for drinking. Having to buy water bottles often is a pain in the ass.
Honestly, I don't use RO water. I feel like it's a waste lol just a personal opinion.... If your water out of the tap is under 200 ppm you should be ok... I live in Flint Michigan where the water is shit and I just use a simple R/V water filter and I have never had a problem. RO water is good in the sense that you can put exact amounts of nutrients from major to macro. But for the hobbiest, I don't believe it's needed.

FOURMOST

FOURMOST

Honestly, I don't use RO water. I feel like it's a waste lol just a personal opinion.... If your water out of the tap is under 200 ppm you should be ok... I live in Flint Michigan where the water is shit and I just use a simple R/V water filter and I have never had a problem. RO water is good in the sense that you can put exact amounts of nutrients from major to macro. But for the hobbiest, I don't believe it's needed.
Yea I think i'm going to wait and see how the ppm is looking before purchasing an RO system. and as for the light I think i'm going with a 600watt VIPARSPECTRA LED light, maybe even 2 300watt viparspectra lights instead but overall for the 1-2 plants ill have in the tent i think 600watt is more than enough for the grow space ill be using

K

kansabis

Don't waste ur time or money on those cheap blurple leds,buy or build you some cob leds,you can even start small and work it up by adding more down the road,trust me they work better,don't kill your eyes and actually use less power than the other leds for more light. Coco is ok but as said before keep it simple,don't get every nute or additive you think you need.

MW7945

MW7945

I agree, don't buy a cheap LED. You'll just be replacing it with something better soon. Could buy a timber setup with 2 or 3 cobs for now, and add more later.

MW7945

MW7945

As far as the wattage of lights 32 watts per square foot is fine, if it's real watts. I'm using Vero 29's and technically at 28 watts sq/ft. Don't be fooled by the watts they put on the names. The vipar 600w is somewhere around 270w.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would recommend an RO system. They are not that expensive to set up anymore and the benefit of starting at 0 ppm cannot be overstated. Yes, in soil >200ppm tap water may be ok, probably not in hydro. It will mess with your measurements when dosing out your nutes. For under $200 you can get a 3 stage 150gph RO filter that will be more than adequate for your needs. I'm willing to bet that people who say they don't use RO water and have never had a water problem, actually have had a problem that they just attributed to something else. Remember, keep it simple. The more potential problems you can eliminate before hand, the more smoothly your grow should go. Good luck, happy growing.

prospero

prospero

What about the width of tent ? ive read through greart advice youve been given. maybe ive missed it but tent width is important to know what size light etc you are going to use.

Enforcer

Enforcer

What about the width of tent ? ive read through greart advice youve been given. maybe ive missed it but tent width is important to know what size light etc you are going to use.
That would depend on the type of light. I don't have any experience with LED lights, so I won't comment there. As far as MH/HPS, I would recommend at least:

400w = 2x2, 3x3
600w = 4x4
1000w = 5x5 with at least 8' height.

You can run smaller lights in bigger spaces, and vice versa. You just need to account for light spead or heat issues, respectfully.

SweetTooth75

SweetTooth75

1st grow?

My advice: Germinate in rockwell cubes and distilled water in a container covered in plastic on top of the fridge, and put the container under the light when you see the stems forming. When roots are coming out the bottom, transplant into 3 gallons of plain dirt and use either General Hydroponics or Advanced Nutrients mixed by the gallon. The last week, water with a Rinse agent. Set your tent up in a room with an air conditioner, but keep the doors to the room open so it's not too cold, those LED'S don't put out loads of heat. 24/7 light can stress a plant. I'd do 22/2 at most. Veg at 450 until the plant is resilient to the fan (about 2-3 weeks), then hit it with 900. Start your flowering nutrients at that time as well. You always want to be two steps ahead of autoflower.

Don't overthink or overspend on your first crop. Learn the skills at entry level, keeping it simple gives you a better chance at success. As you grow and learn, you can use your profits to make advances in your technology.

Latest posts

Top Bottom