Steak, Bananas, Flowers, and Toast: “Are they ready yet?”

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

Welcome to the forums fellow home growing gardeners!

There is an eternal question that practically every new gardener asks, “Are my flowers ready yet?” That question is IMHO (in my humble opinion), one of the most legitimate questions ever posted in these forums. A new pot grower nearing the end of their first successful grow has never watched flowers, pistils and trichomes ripen. They have no experience in selecting their favorite stage of flower and trichome ripeness. Truth be told, chances are the first time gardener hasn’t ever even tried the variety they’re growing. And if it is a variety that the dispensary sells, every home grower will agree, a successful home grow will be indescribably better than what the dispensary sells you. So how can we tell a newb when his flowers are ready?

Occasionally the only way to answer a question correctly is with a question, because the only one that can correctly answer the question is the questioner. This post is my attempt to give new gardeners an insight into how they can answer that question themselves. ..and maybe a tip for experienced gardeners too.

Below is a picture of toast in different stages. So my question to you is, which slice is “ready” for butter?”
StagesofToast.png

Next up is a picture of bananas in different stages of ripeness. So again I’ll ask, which banana is “ready” to peel?”
Stages of Ripeness.png

Here is a picture of steaks. Which steak is “ready” to eat?
Steaks

Now I’ll post 5 pictures of my recent grow (same cola) at multiple stages of ripeness. It covers days 47, 50, 57, 61 and 66 of bloom. This cultivar's (Sk #1) suggested flower time is 7 to 9 weeks (49-63 days). So can you tell me when the flower is “ready”?”
IMG_20220630_133417_Bokeh (1).jpg
IMG_20220703_111501_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20220710_104844.jpg
IMG_20220714_120222.jpg
IMG_20220719_145831.jpg

Then there is the one question I’ve never seen posted, “Are these flowers too old?” Well, this is a picture of a gal that was over 7 weeks in bloom (a 8-10 week bloomer) that I re-vegged. Those ‘golden’ (LOL) flower nugs are about 15 weeks old. (yes, I dry herb vaped them. Smooth and very couch lock)
IMG_20211213_102502.jpg

So when are your flowers ready? IMHO it’s whenever you are ready to harvest them. Ripeness of the harvest, IMHO, is 100% a matter of personal preference and taste. Some will like flowers less ripe and more energetic. Some will prefer medium ripe balanced flowers, and some will prefer well ripened couch lock flowers. As a new gardener, only after you have experienced consuming your flower at differing stages of ripeness can you decide when your flowers are “ready” for your personal taste and needs. Yes, you can ask for other gardeners' opinions, but if you get 5 responses, it will likely have 6 opinions 🙃 . You can look for a certain percentage of amber trichomes or the ratio of white to reddish brown pistils, but for a first time gardener asking if their grow is ready, ...that’s kind of like a lifelong vegan asking if his first ever steak is “ready”? How would he know? He won’t. So one answer to the problem is to cut the steak into 5 strips and cook each strip to a separate stage of doneness, rare to well. Eat and then decide. The same applies to your garden.

How do you know which slice of toast or banana or steak you prefer? Experience! Because you’ve tasted toast and banana and steak (unless you’re vegan) in all the different stages of toastiness, ripeness and doneness. You know what you like because you’ve already tried them. Same holds true for your flowers. So here is my suggestion. It's what I do with any new variety or even pheno I grow, it’s not just for new gardeners. Taste and effects of the ripening flowers terpenes and trichomes will change over the final couple weeks and days of ripening before harvest. I will begin harvesting a new variety or pheno by taking a flower sample at different stages of ripeness. For the Sk #1 pictured, the recommended harvest window is 7-9 weeks or 49-63 days. I’ll take a sample at what some would say is early, like at day 46 in the pictures above. Then again around 57 days (pictured) into bloom or about halfway through the suggested harvest window, and then harvest the remainder in late bloom around day 66 (pictured). Then I’ll have flowers from my plant at different stages of ripeness and can decide on what day in bloom my plant is at the perfect taste and ripeness for me. Then I know exactly when to harvest the clones that are growing in veg from that plant. My taste is what matters in my garden. The same applies to your garden. Isn’t your taste the only taste that really matters in your garden?
Isn’t the gardener's taste always the most important taste for when it’s “ready”?
Hope that helps. N2

I

IamN2pot

2 nd rpiece of toast gets buttered
#5 banana gets eatin after the steak
#2 medium rare for me please
Not sure 🤔 f those flowers are done enuff for me? Lol even at 66 days looks like it could do anther week for me
Exactly what I meant. And as for flowers, well, I like my Sk #1 a bit lighter. I took the other 2 plants a week earlier. My Wedding Cake HEAVY, only about 5% white hairs left. Best part of growing your own, you choose the 'done-ness' you prefer. We're not at the mercy of when some dispensary owner decides "it's at its largest profit margin, ...time to harvest." 👎

TrublsmScholar

TrublsmScholar

As i gain experience I try to define things for myself, and I'm learning, for me, that if you harvest slightly too late and thc+ degradation has begun you're still most likely at a higher potency than if you had harvested too soon. If you harvest slightly too late you also have the advantage of a higher yield, but this comes at the risk of a natural disaster, such as pests, etc....or even a RAID... 😆 So that's where my money is. I'm not convinced that timing actually has anything to do with a cured buds indicaness or sativaness... what I do know is that you get more bang for your buck with potency, and most of the time (or at the end of the day) I'm trying to get blasted. If the STRAIN is sativa leaning I will be blasted and energetic as opposed to more lethargic...

Back when I was 15 years old (sadly becoming quite a long time ago) the Hightimes Cultivation book was my Bible! In there it said something like to harvest when at least 75% of the hairs are red. And we had some weed that looked and smelt beautiful (circa 1995) with seeds still of course (came in dime sacks with $ signs on em too 😆), and that shit had us tripping see Raccoon eyes all over the woods surrounding us. 🤣 So naturally I did what any normal 15 yr old nut job would do, and I grew those seeds out in my woods (cleared out tree branches to allow more light and everything). The plants were 6 foot tall by early to mid July. I had 2 actually get stolen. Apparently my dad was paying attention though, and moved the rest to the patio to be safe I guess. 🙃 Well, anyway that weed had me tripping too, but there may have been a mold factor from my drying process back then 😆. So anyway, I think 75% red hairs should be a minimum requirement.

Thanks for listening. Story time is over. Okay bye! 🤣

I

IamN2pot

GREAT story. Blasted theives...! and I've read the same thing, 75% red hairs is the golden general rule of thumb. Would that be about toast #6? ☮️ 😁

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

love this....Cannabutter goes well on all toast lol. This is my first time having enough plants at once to play around with this and wow what a differrence. my outdoor plants im even cutting in sections to see the difference for my own self.
Thank you for taking tike to put tgis togetger in simple terms. wish i would have had this availble to me when i started and hell even now its killer info. I was recently told by a commercial grower from Colorodo (based on his observations of my previois grows and what was in jars), when "I" tgink im ready, wait a week or even 2. In doing so i actually got to experience and see what real swollen calyxs look like and true ripness, for my own liking.
Thanks again

Brad104

Brad104

Excellent post my friend and messages are well received! Thanks for the post bro

Top Bottom