Stealth Grow SG602 new grow

• Thread starter eyecandi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eyecandi

eyecandi

I recently picked up a StealthGrow SG602 LED panel to build out my new medical marijuana grow and see if the new generation of LED panels will meet my expectations. I have 20+ years of experience growing with HIDs and flouros, from small cabinets to a 3000 sq' 20K watt commercial facility (Colorado legal). I'll be straight up though, I need convincing. I've done HIDs forever, and while I'm a tech geek and stay on top of technology, I wasn't impressed with LED grows in 2010 and early 2011. it seems they may have improved a lot. after talking to the reps at SG indepth about the technology and where they have come with it, I figured it was time to try one out. my space requires a low thermal footprint due to high temps in spring-fall and this was also a determining factor in the purchase (my 1000w HID heats up the room to 98deg. the SG602 I have to add heat to get it to an optimal 79deg) - they say the 602 has a similar thermal signature to a human body, so a FLIR camera shouldn't be able to pinpoint a grow in theory. I thought about the 1250HO model, with it's larger LEDs, but I think it would be overkill for my small space and the cost was a little more daunting (if I still had my warehouse, I'd give em a run for sure).

I'm also using herb.IQ for plant/data tracking and will upload the end results when i'm done with this first run. http://herbiq.net/

The lowdown: http://stealthgrow.com/index.htm
(marketing copy/paste from their site)
SG 602
  • Wattage – 600 Watts; actual power draw 400 watts*
  • 1.5 amps @ 220V; 3 amps @ 110V
  • Spectrum of Light - 455-475nm, 620-630nm, 660nm
    and bright white
  • Optimal Area of Coverage – 3' x 3'
  • Lifespan – 50,000-100,000 hours
  • Dimensions – 13" x 19" x 4"
  • Number of LEDs – 270
  • LED Chip Power – 2 and 3 Watt Hi-power LED Chips**

The SG 602 is now 25% brighter! It has proven to produce comparable yields and distinctly better quality than a 1000watt HPS bulb. The SG 602 has long been Stealth Grow's bread-and-butter product. Start seeing improved results with the SG 602 today!

The rooms:
Veg: 4bulb T5 set up vertically in a 2.5' x 2.5' space.
Stealth grow sg602 new grow

Flowering: SG602 LED in a 2.5' x 6.5' space.

Strains:
for this grow, i'll be growing out one of my favorite strains. my cut of Durban Poison is ... unique .... she has a terpine profile that will knock your socks off and she has an aphrodisiac quality to her as well. I have yet to find a better Durban anywhere. Yields are very good and I have a lot of data on the backend to compare. I will also be running a few Durban feminized that I made and a couple AK47s.
----------------------------------

I found a couple youtube vids they did as well, informative and interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KIIk33s2qshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJDB...eature=related

the penetration levels I find very interesting and look forward to seeing how the lower buds compare to the upper canopy. again, I know the durban very well and will be able to see the differences.

so ... I recieved my SG602 on 2/24. Packaging was done very well, packed with a few inches of styrobeans around each side. comes packaged with a manual, power cord, wire hangers for the 4 corner posts and 4 quick clips (IMO, these should be beefed up a little - the hook on the wires seems like it could bend out, not a good possible scenario. I swapped them out with real closed-loop steel connectors.)
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 3
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 4

my initial plan was to test the 602 against an HID for direct comparisons, but I found the heat loads to be WAY to much for my equip to handle. so i'm going to just run em under the 602 LED and compare yield/grow data from my HID runs.

these are initial veg growth pics (1000w HID 1st pic. within days of the other pic). from my reading and talking to SG, transitioning from an HID to LED will take a few days to a week for the plants to adjust and start showing normal growth/vigor. I can certainly say they are very happy with the spectrum and growth has been comparable to an HID easily.

Stealth grow sg602 new grow 5
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 6

these are timelined, so you get an idea of growth. after the adjustment period, they have really been taking off in growth.
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 7
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 9
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 10
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 10

The room was flipped to 12/12 last week, so the game begins!!

Stealth grow sg602 new grow 2
Stealth grow sg602 new grow 8
eyecandi

eyecandi

continued growth. no issues with the light so far, but I need to add a light mover for sure. nodes are tight, stalks are fat and the leaves have great color (a couple finishing recovery from N overdose a few weeks back though. i hate swapping ferts)
100 4096

100 4103

K11NG

K11NG

looking good so far, I hope with all your experience you can really show the potential of the stealth grows. I own 6 of them and I love them. I lack in experience but with my perpetual learning curve I have made leaps and bounds in no time ( my personal opinion )

definitely subd !!!

eyecandi

eyecandi

thanks! I'm really happy with the growth so far. since settling in, the girls have been exploding in growth and I'd say it is absolutely comparable to 600w HID growth patterns. averaging @ 3/4" vert growth per day, but really bushing out. pics tell a better story :)

100 4107

100 4110

100 4113

Medijuana

Medijuana

I can't wait to see your final product and how it compares to your HID grows. That SG light looks legit. I'm using a Mag357 and am happy with it so far. I will very likely buy one more to provide completely saturated coverage of my 4x4, but I want to see how I fare with my virgin grow first. I haven't switched to flower yet, but I can tell you the internodes are very tight, the color's good, and there's no signs of stretching at all. With the number of successful LED grows posted here, I still don't understand why people hate on the LEDs so much now. I can understand how the early models left a bad taste in people's mouths, but the technology has moved on - I wish people could too.

I'm subbed. :D

eyecandi

eyecandi

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I also wanted to see what it would do by itself. here are this weeks updates:

Changes: added a light rail *LOVE IT!!* perfectly maximizes my space with SG602. a noticable improvement and I've dropped the light from a 12" distance to a 6" distance, been running it this way and no issues at all with the girls, they seem to like it.

the bad: flowering was a little slow to start IMO, after a little looking I found my veg room leaking light into the flowering room - i'm 90% sure this is the cause of slow flowering. I plugged the leak this weekend. temps got to 59deg in there one night, had to keep the vent running to scrub any toxics from the drying caulking.

the good: very good, steady growth of 3/4"=1" daily. great coloring, extremely healthy response to spectrum IMO. node spacing remains tight.

100 4119

Durban Poison, pulled her out for a bare shot. she is in front of a dbl sided fridge for reference
100 4122
100 4127
100 4134
100 4137
100 4139
100 4142

eyecandi

eyecandi

on a side note Medi: I was talking to the guys at stealth grow and they are developing a side/supplemental lighting panel @ 8"x2', i've asked for some more details, might be something to enhance the lower growth or supplement an HID. for me, might be something to hang against the back lower wall to saturate the undercanopy in the tight space and not worry about burn.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Speaking of burn, I'm pretty sure a fan leaf closest to my 357 Mag has suffered a bit of bleaching/burn. It was still a bit over 12" away, but I don't know what else it could be. It's the only leaf showing these symptoms, it's a mature fan leaf, and other than the bleaching, the leaf appears healthy. I raised the light a few inches, and I'll keep an eye on everything else. My temps never go above 82`F before the vent fan kicks on and RH averages in the mid 50's. I'm running supersoil, so I don't think it's a nute issue, and if so, I'd think I'd see signs in other leaves. What do you think?

eyecandi

eyecandi

sounds right to me based on description. is your light stationary, or enough fan movement on the leaves? just a thought. i had the 602 @ 12" and no rail and little air movement, didn't see any issues. added a couple fans for better movement and with the rail lowered the light to @ 6" for the last week, so far so good :) my RH fluxuates between 40-45, temps keeping @ 78-82 depending on outside temps.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Yeah, I've got an oscillating fan on them for about 6 to 8 hours at a time, with 3 to 6 hours of rest, but I don't have a light mover. I may have to look into investing in one, but it will have to work in my 4x4x7 tent. I hope I can find one. The one you have looks way too heavy duty for my tent.

eyecandi

eyecandi

it's just an aluminum rail + motor, they are all mostly the same. this one has another aluminum bar attaching the light to the motor, that seems to help with stability more (doesn't pull the light sideways as it travels back/forth)

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have several earlier generation LED units including 3 90w UFOs- one of which seems a lot better than the other two, no idea why- and a CAP 'xtreme LED' 130w. I've got them over my veg zone, they seem to be giving the girls what they want.

I've been playing around with a 400w HPS in a budget wing in concert with the LEDs, haven't had it in long enough to see anything yet.

eyecandi

eyecandi

added a Death Star today

pollinated a branch of AK and Durban with Tahoe OG pollen :)

eyecandi

eyecandi

weekly update:
steady growth continues @ 3/4"- 1 1/4" daily. I'm pretty sure the light leak set me back in flowering by 2 weeks, sucks, but whatcha gonna do? budding on the AKs is coming along nicely, durbans are starting as well. pretty sure the tahoe pollen didn't take :( temps staying steady.

eyecandi

eyecandi

tahoe pollen DID take! woohoo :)

solid growth! all 4 of the Denver Durban fems looking really good, 2 phenos are just like momma and 2 are lagging behind in flowering .... guessing they will be a 12+ wk pheno :( AKs budding along and will finish first, can't wait ... really can't wait .... but have too ;) the DStar (which I found out may be grape stomper, i'll know for sure in a week or so) is starting to bud as well, i'm guessing she'll finish about the same time as the DDs. I really shouldn't have pushed so many girls into this first batch, but I wanted to front load it in anticipation of a crappy hot summer under HIDs .... looking like it might work out for a summer run, so now i'm backlogging a few girls in veg :) ... a lil pre98 Bubba, Bubba Danko and Italian Chocolate

100 4166
100 4167
100 4193
100 4197
100 4199
100 4200
100 4210
100 4220
100 4222
100 4223
100 4225
100 4227

eyecandi

eyecandi

flushed the AKs on Thursday and everything else on Saturday. the AKs are putting on a nice little growth spurt now and densing up, hopefully should finish in @ 10days. The Denver Durban fems - 1 is still lagging a little from an early overdose or ph issue, but it's still stacking and smelling like heaven; the other one has 4 colas working, 2 are starting to merge buds ..... still 4weeks or so to go. the 2 cloned Durbans are right on track with growth, she will get me my real determining #s since I've grown her out a LOT under 1000w HIDs over the past 2 years. if they keep at it the way they are, I'm definately sold on the technology and Stealth Grow as a manufacturer.

the grape stomper is absolutely sic in the garden. buds aren't huge, but they are dense and super frosty. still a few more weeks to go too, so hopefully they will bulk up a bit. doesn't matter tho, she is a keeper in the garden for sure. pure grapey goodness :)

the italian chocolate is also budding up nicely for only being a couple weeks in. but she was a short finisher in a couple other gardens, so hopefully she'll be big/fast and done by early july.

I'm still taking pics, just been too lazy to post. I'll get a photo timeline up shortly that better shows the growth over time.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
What up, EC?! Looking good, brother. Did not know you were running LEDs. Very nice. Let's connect soon.

outwest

eyecandi

eyecandi

yeah baby! lovin the LED panel so far, especially the lower thermal loads with summer coming. and if it produces even close to a 600HID (I'm thinking it will meet that goal based on what I'm seeing so far), then it's well worth the investment. (lower heating/cooling costs - both equipment and electrical + maintenance. no bulb replacements every 6-8 months @ $40-$80/each + the hood maintenance)

how have the replacement beans been? I'm always down to get together :)

eyecandi

eyecandi

well, gotta wrap this puppy up. been too long since last updates, sorry folks.

early June I got a call from the landlord that they wanted to come do an inspection. *freak the fuck out time* spent 2 weeks cleaning up and clearing out anything canna related. seriously sucked ass. chopped 1 Durban fem and 1 Durban from clone early and the harvest seriously suffered. a friend was able to take the other 2 durbans and put em under his 1000w HPS to finish - i didn't want to stress them by moving them 2x, with only a couple weeks left to harvest. another friend took my italian chocolate and all my veg girls + mother stock. this sucked ass too, he ended up not taking great care, and I lost 2 mothers and stressed several others http://asset2.invalid.com/smilies/icon_sad.gif bad bad last month for me. I was able to finish the italian chocolate after resetting the room back up (after successful inspection, woohoo! 1 more year) and she finished BEAUTIFUL! dense frosty buds that ripped us good.

Conclusions and the good: the 2 durbans that finished, averaged a lil over 2oz each. It.Choco yielded 2+oz. given the weight off the AK47 and Grape Stomper as well, I'm very happy with the results of this LED. I really couldn't be happier with this purchase. my temps during soaring summer heat in Denver always stayed within acceptable parameters, whereas with an HID I can almost guarantee a shutdown of the room. WINNER!! to help even more, i recently built a mini swamp cooler out of a 5gal bucket for the room - dropped temps a lil more and added 15% humidity http://asset2.invalid.com/smilies/icon_smile.gif

after inspection, it gave me a chance to finally finish the room with panda film, it seems to help a lot. my new girls in the room are an old skool cut of Romulan from the 70s, a hashplant donated by a friend, and one of my creations - Bubba Danko (pre98 Bubba Kush x Corleone Kush <cali conhttp://asset2.invalid.com/smilies/icon_razz.gifre98 Bubba x SFV OGKush>). BD is flowering FAST, and should finish in @3 more weeks. HP is a stretchy girl, leaf structure looks more like a pure sativa and she 'looks' further behind then the other 2 .... we'll see. Romulan is what it is ..... looking super healthy and even tho she is 2 weeks behind the HP, her buds are almost as big.

I'll probably update this every now and then, but I'm happy with the results and will continue to purchase and support the LED industry.

100 4316
100 4321
100 4325
100 4331
100 4334
100 4337
100 4340
100 4351
100 4359
100 4365
100 4366
DurbanHarvest