Steep Hill Can Now Sex You Up!

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Last night as I was pulling into town from a road trip I saw a Steep Hill billboard that said "Sexing made easy". Unsure as to what was up with that I hopped on their site and found this.

http://steephilllab.com/genkit/

Apparently they can tell you if your seedlings are male or female 14 days after germination. Not sure how much the kits cost, but I'm sure it would save money....for outdoor and indoor peeps.

Shamus

Shamus

So that means that seeds have a determinate sex at 14 days? I always thought it was longer than that for them to have a definitive gender. Interesting

fractal

fractal

And the accuracy. It would suck to potentially throw away a keeper because the test says male. I will stick to the old method until more testing is done.
Yep.

Cannabis will always be an artisinal product. Then big guys are gonna burn.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

So I called yesterday, and it's 8 tests for 140$. The test you take samples and mail them in. On top of the 8 tests, you also get credit for 15 flower profiles. So kind of expensive, and sending samples through the mail?????? They are in Berkley so you can pick them up directly. Tobi, the guy I talked to, said they will be sold soon on various garden supply websites. 100% male/female identification.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For that kinda scratch, they're overnighting everything, right?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

lol, doesn't even include shipping.

So me personally......I plant everything in 7-10gal before they are sexed. I put my plants outdoors so no energy costs. Besides plant numbers and the extra work in watering and possibly moving the plant around, is this cost worth it? 7-10 gal of soil is maybe 5-10$, or free if re-using soil. That is only a saved cost on the males thrown away and not grown. At 17$ a test it doesn't make much sense.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@Bulldog11 .....I just got an email back from them and they quoted me 160. I don't see this as that feasible either.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

By the time the test come back either the seedlings are either already taking up unnecessary space and/or missed the train staying in nursary pots till id. Shit after 14 days in another two weeks or so theyll be sexing themselves. So is it worth it really?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@Bulldog11 .....I just got an email back from them and they quoted me 160. I don't see this as that feasible either.

Ha, that's funny. When I first called the lady who answered the phone quoted me 120. Then after talking with Tobi, he quoted me 140. I guess now it's 160, and ever further from feasible.

By the time the test come back either the seedlings are either already taking up unnecessary space and/or missed the train staying in nursary pots till id. Shit after 14 days in another two weeks or so theyll be sexing themselves. So is it worth it really?

I agree. In almost the same amount of time you could take your own clone and flower that clone.

For me, they would have to cut the cost in a quarter for this to be feasible. Remember, this only saves you money 50% of the time.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@Bulldog11 If I read what you posted earlier correct....they also give you 15 free flower profiles....then it would make sense for people taking things to clubs as well. That and as Sea stated...breeders and commercial guys could benefit from it....otherwise I'm not as stoked about it as I was when I saw the big sign on the 101.

Top Bottom