Stem doesn't even snap yet but 52% RH in jar

• Thread starter Jumpingspider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

As an experiment I let one plant dry for a little less time than I should have. The stems weren't quite snapping yet but put them in jars to cure. To my surprise, the relative humidity in the jar was only 52%

I don't know if this is normal but what do you say? Is it possible the snap a stem method isn't an accurate measure for proper dryness?

What's a better way to make sure the buds go into the jar at the right RH?

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

As an experiment I let one plant dry for a little less time than I should have. The stems weren't quite snapping yet but put them in jars to cure. To my surprise, the relative humidity in the jar was only 52%

I don't know if this is normal but what do you say? Is it possible the snap a stem method isn't an accurate measure for proper dryness?

Good question - I’ve always went with the snap method. Curious to know what people say.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
well depending on the density of the buds that could cause mold as the inside the center is still very moist and now mold could form..
just an opinion..

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

well depending on the density of the buds that could cause mold as the inside the center is still very moist and now mold could form..
just an opinion..

But if that were the case you would see the RH increase. I am not seeing any increase in RH so I assume the moisture on the inside is very little as it would have to equalizer with the air in the jar.

quirk

quirk

It's the moisture content of the bud that makes for the snap, not relative humidity. 12-18% moisture content makes for a snapper.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

When you say stalk are you trying to snap that itty bitty part (stem) where the bud is attached to the stalk?

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

When you say stalk are you trying to snap that itty bitty part (stem) where the bud is attached to the stalk?
I never said stalk lol.

But I'm just talking about the small stems. Not the main stalk.

I figure as long as the RH in the jar is low enough it shouldn't mold.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I never said stalk lol.

But I'm just talking about the small stems. Not the main stalk.

I figure as long as the RH in the jar is low enough it shouldn't mold.
Very little scientific studies to say when mold will set in but boveda sells a 72% thats ment for cigars and my brain tells me if 72% humidity won't mold properly cured tobacco there's a good chance it won't mold properly cured cannabis either. I have a vault that's been curing for 3 weeks and only today i got it below 65

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

What were the drying conditions? My guess is flash dried till crispy on the outside and then tossed into jars, with no curing process
Its clearly the curing/drying process. Burping jars/tubs... the moisture in the buds distributes thru out the bud when sealed, from the stem, which holds the most moisture. Then you open it up and the moisture in the air, RH will evaporate and the moisture in the bud will suck back into the core. The curing process is about redistributing moisture until its uniform thru out the entire bud. I use portable cigar humidity meters, and do a short cure using tubs with a sealing gasket. After my 2-3 week short cure they are in the low sixties; 60 percent humidity will almost snap, and will not crumble into a joint, i like to trim, store and seal right around there and for smoking just a lil bit less like 56 or 57%..Also when its that low in RH humidity it can take a week for the reading to stabilize.
Really tho the drying environment should dictate the drying process to get optimal results. And on the topic of mold, if your plants have mold you will see mold in your buds. It really only molds right at first if the humidity is to high, past your initial drying if you let it go long enough and into tubs/jars you should be in the clear. If your getting mold late in your curing process you grew moldy weed.
real deal on curing is you have to dial it for where you are. different places call for different treatment to get optimal results depending on your temps, humidity, airflow, concentration of plant matter, and budget. plus all of us on here are scattered all over the place, indoor, outdoor, completely different elevations and climate zones.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Still moisture inside the buds seal it for a day or 2 and it will likely increase in RH as the moisture is drawn out.
That's the plan. My RH in the drying closet was between 50-68% for days but it dropped to 40 % towards the end
What were the drying conditions? My guess is flash dried till crispy on the outside and then tossed into jars, with no curing process
Its clearly the curing/drying process. Burping jars/tubs... the moisture in the buds distributes thru out the bud when sealed, from the stem, which holds the most moisture. Then you open it up and the moisture in the air, RH will evaporate and the moisture in the bud will suck back into the core. The curing process is about redistributing moisture until its uniform thru out the entire bud. I use portable cigar humidity meters, and do a short cure using tubs with a sealing gasket. After my 2-3 week short cure they are in the low sixties; 60 percent humidity will almost snap, and will not crumble into a joint, i like to trim, store and seal right around there and for smoking just a lil bit less like 56 or 57%..Also when its that low in RH humidity it can take a week for the reading to stabilize.
Really tho the drying environment should dictate the drying process to get optimal results. And on the topic of mold, if your plants have mold you will see mold in your buds. It really only molds right at first if the humidity is to high, past your initial drying if you let it go long enough and into tubs/jars you should be in the clear. If your getting mold late in your curing process you grew moldy weed.
real deal on curing is you have to dial it for where you are. different places call for different treatment to get optimal results depending on your temps, humidity, airflow, concentration of plant matter, and budget. plus all of us on here are scattered all over the place, indoor, outdoor, completely different elevations and climate zones.
This is the most thoughtful response thank you.

I am in a temperate climate and the air right now outside is super dry and cold but my apartment stays above 70 and I haven't built something to go over the windows to intake air.

They dried quickly indeed and then I put them in jars. The RH is up a few degrees in the jar so far. I'll keep the burping to a minimum and let them redistribute the moisture.

sambapati

sambapati

Well said

Top Bottom