Sterilizing compost soil from outside for indoor use??

• Thread starter CFC7143
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CFC7143

CFC7143

I have a big plastic bin of compost I’ve had going for a year and I was wondering, is there anyway to kill of any pests that are in the soil so I can use it for my indoor grow? Also would I mix the compost with some 0-0-0 soil? Basically I know absolutely nothing about how to use the compost I now have

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Hey man ! I too have an outdoor compost bin that has frozen for the winter thats a first time for me. I asked the same question here and the reply I got was those pests are what we work with..

You dont bring in compost that has not completely decomposed. If you can tell what is in it its not composted.

If you do that I think you can avoid most of the bugs. Their activity is nearer rotten things / things breaking down.

CFC7143

CFC7143

Hey man ! I too have an outdoor compost bin that has frozen for the winter thats a first time for me. I asked the same question here and the reply I got was those pests are what we work with..

You dont bring in compost that has not completely decomposed. If you can tell what is in it its not composted.

If you do that I think you can avoid most of the bugs. Their activity is nearer rotten things / things breaking down.
Sounds like the compost has a little longer to go because I can still see some solid stuff in there. But I’m assuming it’s not going to complete that process during winter time but idk but I have a hot minute until my current grow is done anyway but I’m thinking about using the compost for an outdoor grow this upcoming spring

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

If you insulate the bin it can stay warm longer. But mine is frozen solid in the lower layers, waiting for spring to thaw

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
In the nursery we heat soil mix to 64.5 deg c to 65 deg c which sterilisers to a point . and compost takes at least 2 years with the correct turning methods and timing and luck .

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

One drop : when you say two years you mean with compost being temperated and in microbe activity? I assume this microbe activity halt or stop when the ground freeze.

Out here its 5 fahrenheit / -15 celsius.
So i will probably need to compost longer. Have tried covering the bin with insulation but that is not working magic

Latest posts

Top Bottom