Still Curling....Room no longer too hot or wild temp fluctuations

• Thread starter Bousky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bousky

Bousky

I have resolved the heat problem in my room. The temp is remaining consistent 2 or 3 degrees each side of 79 degrees. Although the curling of leaves problem continues on some of the new growth. Not all of the plants are affected.

What would you do in my situation?

I have been light on the nutrients while attempting to resolve the curling. Today they just had Super Thrive. I am using the HG nutrients at 1/4 strength (using amounts recommended by online nutrient calculator when I have given them nutrients during the last week after the curling started.)
DSCN9395.jpg

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones (Platinum Skunk)
2. How old are your plants? Transplanted on 8/17 (12 days)
3. How tall are your plants? varies from 3" to 8"
4. What type of hydro system are you using? Canna Coco in Superoot Air Pots. Unfortunately I am unsure of the size of the pots. Most of my set up was given to me by long time growers.
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? HG
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 6 (after using PH up)
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? I do not know, I am using RO water and mixing my nutes in 4 gallon batches and hand watering. For the last several waterings I have been using 1/4 of the recommended amount while resolving the heat and curling issues. I am using the HG online nute calculator. Today I just gave them Super Thrive as directed 1 drop per gallon.
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? I have not been testing that. I will research and figure out how today.
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? cool I tried to take the temp but do not have an appropriate thermometer. The water reso is in an unused shower and it remains cool.
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? I will get the appropriate knowledge to know this info today!
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? I am only checking the nutes and that is remaining consistent.
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? I have Magic Green and was supposed to use it for the first time this week. ( according to HG online calculator) I did not start due to the stress my plants are already in.
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") I have two 1000 watt HPS bulbs and an adjustable ballast. At this time I have the lights at 600 watts to avoid extra stress on the plants.
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 3 feet
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? The room is 10'x12'. I have a 4'x8' tent which I have yet to close up. The environment is enclosed and I have didn't want to make dramatic changes until the plants were stabilized.
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? My room is dark right now and I have left my records in the room. This is the first day I failed to move a thermometer outside the room (probe inside). With my lousy memory I would say the temp is now consistently 2 or 3 degrees each side of 79 degrees. As for humidity, I'd say it is ranging between 50 and 60 percent.
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No
18. How much experience do you have growing? This is my first crop.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

How long were your temps out of range? How high did they get? If they got heat stress I've had em take a month or longer to recover. If they're in veg they'll be fine if that's the worst of the damage. just go light on the nutes for a while, h&gs chart is pretty strong

Bousky

Bousky

In the first week of veg there was a day when the temp was over 100 degrees. Until the day when I redid the ducting there was a wide fluctuation of temp but other than that one day it probably didn't go over 90 degrees.

I did forget to mention that yesterday I started adding CO2 into the room. At this time I have the timer/gauge to release for 5 minutes at the top of each hour and the gauge is set at about 1.5.

After the lights go on at 5pm I was going to hang the fans, now outside the tent, so I can close up the tent. Although I keep thinking I am going to do it every day, but my intuition has been screaming not to make the change until the plants quit curling. Any real advise? Following my intuition has served me well in most areas of my life. It is when I don't listen to it that things go wrong. (It's a woman thing!)

Botanikos

Botanikos

I'd try a light foliar spray of N, had some that did that too and within the next couple of days it came back. I used a 1-0-0 and it did the trick.

Bousky

Bousky

Thank you Botanikos. I will be giving that a try tonight.

I wish I had done the exercise of answering the above questions earlier. It made me aware that I was missing the whole PPM thing. There is so much to learn about all this. It is exciting and I am looking forward to the adventure.

Haggardass

Haggardass

Im no hydro grower, so call me a dipshit if im wrong lol but those back leaves look like the ph is out of wack. Just my 2 pennies

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Like I said on your other thread. Heat stress leads to multiple problems because the stomatas close so nutes arent absorbed which leads to salt build up etc etc etc. Hopefully you flushed your plants last week and just give them water for a couple weeks. You might not see improvements for weeks literally depending how stressed the plants are. You now have multiple issues probably so just be patient.

Bousky

Bousky

Ha Ha.....Haggardass.....the PH may have been part of the problem, but I will never know for sure.

Thanks Dan, I did flushed and let the plants rest for a week, they held their own but didn't improve much. I adjusted the vents and many other changes. I had been checking my PH with the liquid tester, which I have decided is not the best method of checking PH. I bought new meters for both PH and PPMs. I have now gone back up to full strength on the nutrients and added Cal Mag and CO2. The plants seem to be doing well. Their color has improved new growth is looking good. I believe the corner has been turned.

I do appreciate all the input. It helped a lot.

C

Cannagods

if you are using canna coco you should of stuck with the canna coco a&b and botanicare calmag plus so you get the instant uptake
I have resolved the heat problem in my room. The temp is remaining consistent 2 or 3 degrees each side of 79 degrees. Although the curling of leaves problem continues on some of the new growth. Not all of the plants are affected.

What would you do in my situation?

I have been light on the nutrients while attempting to resolve the curling. Today they just had Super Thrive. I am using the HG nutrients at 1/4 strength (using amounts recommended by online nutrient calculator when I have given them nutrients during the last week after the curling started.)
DSCN9395.jpg

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones (Platinum Skunk)
2. How old are your plants? Transplanted on 8/17 (12 days)
3. How tall are your plants? varies from 3" to 8"
4. What type of hydro system are you using? Canna Coco in Superoot Air Pots. Unfortunately I am unsure of the size of the pots. Most of my set up was given to me by long time growers.
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? HG
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 6 (after using PH up)
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? I do not know, I am using RO water and mixing my nutes in 4 gallon batches and hand watering. For the last several waterings I have been using 1/4 of the recommended amount while resolving the heat and curling issues. I am using the HG online nute calculator. Today I just gave them Super Thrive as directed 1 drop per gallon.
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? I have not been testing that. I will research and figure out how today.
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? cool I tried to take the temp but do not have an appropriate thermometer. The water reso is in an unused shower and it remains cool.
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? I will get the appropriate knowledge to know this info today!
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? I am only checking the nutes and that is remaining consistent.
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? I have Magic Green and was supposed to use it for the first time this week. ( according to HG online calculator) I did not start due to the stress my plants are already in.
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") I have two 1000 watt HPS bulbs and an adjustable ballast. At this time I have the lights at 600 watts to avoid extra stress on the plants.
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 3 feet
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? The room is 10'x12'. I have a 4'x8' tent which I have yet to close up. The environment is enclosed and I have didn't want to make dramatic changes until the plants were stabilized.
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? My room is dark right now and I have left my records in the room. This is the first day I failed to move a thermometer outside the room (probe inside). With my lousy memory I would say the temp is now consistently 2 or 3 degrees each side of 79 degrees. As for humidity, I'd say it is ranging between 50 and 60 percent.
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No
18. How much experience do you have growing? This is my first crop.
Ha Ha.....Haggardass.....the PH may have been part of the problem, but I will never know for sure.

Thanks Dan, I did flushed and let the plants rest for a week, they held their own but didn't improve much. I adjusted the vents and many other changes. I had been checking my PH with the liquid tester, which I have decided is not the best method of checking PH. I bought new meters for both PH and PPMs. I have now gone back up to full strength on the nutrients and added Cal Mag and CO2. The plants seem to be doing well. Their color has improved new growth is looking good. I believe the corner has been turned.

I do appreciate all the input. It helped a lot.

montanamike1

montanamike1

My best bet is humidity stress. If you are running over 1k of light in a tent without A/C, you are likely cooling your tent/room with inline fans exchanging the hot air of your room for the relatively cooler air outside. Is it possible that you are "convecting" your room, i.e. blowing hot air into the room at any point, or perhaps even exchanging air too rapidly for humidity to accumulate? Either way, I'd recommend adding a humidifier to keep the room at 60% and encourage the stomata to stay wide open; many growers add humidity and nutrients to the leaves themselves through foliar feeding, as others have recommended earlier. Hope things keep looking up for you!

Top Bottom