Stopping Hermies

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MamaBear

Seems everyone goes nuts when a plant hermies. I know that it is just nature throwing in a last ditch effort to get those plants pollinated. Seems reasonable and I’ve seen it happen on several other types of plants too – most squashes and melons will do the same if a male isn’t around to pollinate the girls.

So I was thinking that it’s definitely a hormone thing. And everyone knows a pregnant girl doesn’t ovulate, right? Because she’s already pregnant. I’m talking usual stuff here, not freak of nature stuff. And yes, I know it’s not the same from people to plants – just using it as an analogy.

I began pollinating all my girls, yep, every single one even if I don’t want those seeds. And it doesn’t matter who’s pollen I use if I don’t want the seeds (I usually keep them anyway, or eat them). All I need to do is make sure 1 small, lower branch is pollinated and making seeds. I try to do this early in the flower phase, as soon as it’s possible.

It doesn’t seem to make much difference for the rest of the plant, it flowers like mad either way.

What I’ve found is that I’ve never seen a “pregnant” girl throw out those male flowers. No matter what strain I grow, even if I stress the hell out of them (I’m tough on my girls) and still never a male flower. I’ve even grown strains very well known to hermie and they didn’t.

I’m positive there’s a correlation here. Some hormone in the plant during seed production that keeps it from going hermie.

Anyway, I sure would love to know if anyone else has found this to be true also. Or is there anyone that has a strain with especially nasty hermie traits willing to try it?

Now, my theory is that it will stop herming in “normal” plants. I realize there are some strains with so much herm traits in-bred into them it’s become a dominant trait – most likely due to all the femming being done – not sure what it would do for them.

Hoping some more data will help pin down my theory.

Calixylon

Calixylon

intresting, if i got this right.

So you purposely knock up a lower branch with any cannabis pollen, becasue you believe that a fertilized plant wont throw any nanners? You logic seems sound, i would imagine the plant releases some sort of hormone to signify its preggo, and to start making seeds, but does that really affect the entire plant if youve got 1/8 oz of lower branch thats seeded, and 1lb of unseeded tops. Not sure, but sounds promising, to bad ya cant bust out an acre or so to try it out on.

Like the theory, maybe ask any folks who like to do a bit of pollen chucking, or breeding if they have ever seen a plant thats had a few lowers seeded, herm out on top. Theres gotta be someone whos encontered this happening, if not your on to something!

Calixylon

Calixylon

Definetly came to the right place to ask, you got me curious, i dont do much pollen collecting, but have had good luck without having bad nanners. But i do find them time to time, usually once i pull mine off they dont come back, but i always catch mine early since i have a small garden

M

MamaBear

I'm not saying it's true, just a theory I have that needs more work/data.
But if it is, would you be willing to give up 1 small bud from each plant if it would guarantee no nanners?

Tnelz

Tnelz

I'm not saying it's true, just a theory I have that needs more work/data.
But if it is, would you be willing to give up 1 small bud from each plant if it would guarantee no nanners?
I very rarely get them but to answer ur question yes I would be willing to alleviate the risk all together. It would also low me to do a little pollen chucking as well.

M

MamaBear

Thanks Seamaiden. That's what I needed to know. I guess that's the end of that theory. I must just be very lucky then.

DrFever

DrFever

Are nanners fertile ??? curious personally i cannot see nanners making seeds cause they showed up to late for the party but they make a mess out of everything ..
Just wondering if anyone actually got seeds from it and seeds germinated ??

M

MamaBear

Uh, couldn't tell you since I've never had them. Everything I read on them says they can though. I'm with you, by the time they do fertilize, not enough time left for the seeds to mature before the plant dies. I can tell you that the 1 hermie male I had was not viable and did not fertilize itself.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks Seamaiden. That's what I needed to know. I guess that's the end of that theory. I must just be very lucky then.
Yeah, I can tell you I was *very* disappointed, for a few reasons. It made so much sense, and still does!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The seeds I have are always regular, but I think this was some cuts I'd been gifted. It was a few years ago.

M

MamaBear

I always prefer regular seeds too. Personally, I think femming is a bad practice that should be banned immediately. Herming is most likely a very rare occurrence in the wild. Femming is encouraging a very undesirable trait to become dominant. And now look at the mess we're in! Only reasons I can see to do it is because you are:
A) too lazy to cull the males
B) too lazy to breed a strain the natural way
C) greedy and don't want anyone else to be able to breed your strain.

showmegreen

showmegreen

Seems everyone goes nuts when a plant hermies. I know that it is just nature throwing in a last ditch effort to get those plants pollinated. Seems reasonable and I’ve seen it happen on several other types of plants too – most squashes and melons will do the same if a male isn’t around to pollinate the girls.

So I was thinking that it’s definitely a hormone thing. And everyone knows a pregnant girl doesn’t ovulate, right? Because she’s already pregnant. I’m talking usual stuff here, not freak of nature stuff. And yes, I know it’s not the same from people to plants – just using it as an analogy.

I began pollinating all my girls, yep, every single one even if I don’t want those seeds. And it doesn’t matter who’s pollen I use if I don’t want the seeds (I usually keep them anyway, or eat them). All I need to do is make sure 1 small, lower branch is pollinated and making seeds. I try to do this early in the flower phase, as soon as it’s possible.

It doesn’t seem to make much difference for the rest of the plant, it flowers like mad either way.

What I’ve found is that I’ve never seen a “pregnant” girl throw out those male flowers. No matter what strain I grow, even if I stress the hell out of them (I’m tough on my girls) and still never a male flower. I’ve even grown strains very well known to hermie and they didn’t.

I’m positive there’s a correlation here. Some hormone in the plant during seed production that keeps it from going hermie.

Anyway, I sure would love to know if anyone else has found this to be true also. Or is there anyone that has a strain with especially nasty hermie traits willing to try it?

Now, my theory is that it will stop herming in “normal” plants. I realize there are some strains with so much herm traits in-bred into them it’s become a dominant trait – most likely due to all the femming being done – not sure what it would do for them.

Hoping some more data will help pin down my theory.
I have only had one throw nanners that I've seen that was "el Prego" but she was light stressed due to a leak I was un aware of. But it was only where the light beam struck tha plant. But I've never seen it in an outdoor. @Seamaiden was tha ones you seen in an indoor or out? Ol' Mama cub's got a hypotheses of sound value IMO.
I think people need ta quit bein so lazy. Pick tha seeds out yer buds and throw'em everwhere! Pave tha planet with buds! Lets see'em regulate that shit. Besides males make right fine oil. Fine in deed.

Last edited:
H

happy b

You know now you mention it,i personally have never seen a plant i pollinated(i always only pollonate a wee branch at the bottom) throw nanners.
it may well work with some strains that herm but not others.like sea maidens Chemdog D.
but at the end of the day with no disrespect to anyone,you say its working for you and i would go by my own personal experiences before others advice.
what i mean by that is if you know somethings working for you it works for you and what other people say wont change it so if your having success with something i would continue doing it until it shows itself otherwise.

showmegreen

showmegreen

You know now you mention it,i personally have never seen a plant i pollinated(i always only pollonate a wee branch at the bottom) throw nanners.
it may well work with some strains that herm but not others.like sea maidens Chemdog D.
but at the end of the day with no disrespect to anyone,you say its working for you and i would go by my own personal experiences before others advice.
what i mean by that is if you know somethings working for you it works for you and what other people say wont change it so if your having success with something i would continue doing it until it shows itself otherwise.

AMEN ta that!
Nuthin wrong with a lil "Belief Manifestation"
Good words ta stand on @happy b!

Top Bottom