Straight potting soil vs adding perlite

• Thread starter HerbCyclone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HerbCyclone

HerbCyclone

I've been mixing 75% pro mix with 25% black gold and then adding maybe 15%(by volume) of additional perlite. Bought a different kind of soil that is coco and peat based which I haven't used. Asked the manufacturer about preparation for a 45 gallon container and they recommended against mixing anything or transplanting my 8 node plant currently in a 2 gallon until it gets bigger.
I like perlite because I've never had too much drainage but have definitely had issues not having enough...

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is there any perlite in the new mix?

Coco adds some aeration over peat, but I don't know if it would be enough to compensate for the amount of perlite in Pro-mix + your added perlite. Maybe a coco user can comment.

HerbCyclone

HerbCyclone

Is there any perlite in the new mix?

Coco adds some aeration over peat, but I don't know if it would be enough to compensate for the amount of perlite in Pro-mix + your added perlite. Maybe a coco user can comment.
Thanks, I haven't mixed anything in yet. These are in separate 45's and I'm ok doing something different as long as its advisable. The 100s with the heavy pro mix ratio is my insurance policy for good respiration and aeration, but I have not done it thay way before so finger crossed. I had serious issues last year and I'm pretty sure I'm over compensating in certain ways now because of it!

Top Bottom