Strains that have helped with ASD and ADHD.

• Thread starter geemonty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

Not sure if this is the right section for the topic. I am autistic and have ADHD. I had bad experiences with cannabis in past so never tried it again until recently. Started growing it for my cousin with MS then expanded to growing more for my mom she has chronic pain. I needed to understand the entire thing better so I broke down and smoked a bit so I could get a baseline and improve my abilities. I felt amazing. Didn't smoke much but apparently it was enough to change so much for me. I felt better about so much. Negative affects that made it hard for me to function seemed to go away or greatly reduced. It was just bag seed. My cousin had some seeds, unknown strains etc. I didn't take any clones and that first harvest was very small and most was intended for her so I only kept about 50ish grams for myself. I have been growing super sshaze x apple juice ever since because I got a clone and then kept cloning from there. It hasn't had the same overall effect as the unknown seeds I had started the journey with. I recently got some seeds of WW x Bruce Banner but still in flower haven't tried it. I was also given seeds of Durban Poison(mother) x Critical Clementine(father) as well as Purple Thai Haze(mother) x Critical Clementine(father) that I haven't even started yet.

I have searched endlessly but haven't found anything useful. I am looking for a strain that would help me smooth out the rough edges of my ADHD/ASD brain as well or maybe better than that first harvest of unknown did. Anyone else ADHD/ASD and have some help with preferred strains? With the time it takes from seed to smoke I would love to just start with something that others have had success with.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Your going to have to try it before you know how it does you. Even if someone recommends you a strain you will see different expressions within a seed line.

Maybe try to look for the plants that have similar physical characteristics and harvest time as to your first run. Even terps. What kinda smells did your first run have? Try to find something like that.

Imo terpenoids play a big part in the high for ppl who are sensitive enough to recognize it.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I was diagnosed as a child by quite a few shrinks as having ADHD but although highly recommended I never got onto any medication for it. 40+ years later I'd suck dick for adderal ok jkjk lmfao but that shit makes me focus so well I can pretty much guarantee myself $500-1000 in a night or 2 winning pool tournaments. As for strains that you seek, I think @HerbalEdu is right and I wouldn't kick CBD/THC and or just CBD or THC/CBN or any other option out there of of bed because just like @GrowHobo said it just doesn't work like that. What is good for the goose is not so good for the gander with the herb. It is too complex imo and there are too many caveats to say that Jack Herer or strain "X" is the one for you. Any strain can be harvested earlier or later, which changes its overall outcomes affect on you. You can also have a strain that "should" be such and such but was bred differently by the breeder. I sure wish all plants followed rules like they kinda glamour us with that they fall into this line or that line but it just isn't always so. If I were you I would throw down some experiments. I would get something that is highly indica, something highly sativa, and something 5050. Just throwin it out there but maybe a Blueberry for your Indica, a Purple or Super Lemon Haze or pretty much any Haze for your Sativa, and a GG4, WW, or GSC for hybrid. I think only by trying things will you find what works for you.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not sure if this is the right section for the topic. I am autistic and have ADHD. I had bad experiences with cannabis in past so never tried it again until recently. Started growing it for my cousin with MS then expanded to growing more for my mom she has chronic pain. I needed to understand the entire thing better so I broke down and smoked a bit so I could get a baseline and improve my abilities. I felt amazing. Didn't smoke much but apparently it was enough to change so much for me. I felt better about so much. Negative affects that made it hard for me to function seemed to go away or greatly reduced. It was just bag seed. My cousin had some seeds, unknown strains etc. I didn't take any clones and that first harvest was very small and most was intended for her so I only kept about 50ish grams for myself. I have been growing super sshaze x apple juice ever since because I got a clone and then kept cloning from there. It hasn't had the same overall effect as the unknown seeds I had started the journey with. I recently got some seeds of WW x Bruce Banner but still in flower haven't tried it. I was also given seeds of Durban Poison(mother) x Critical Clementine(father) as well as Purple Thai Haze(mother) x Critical Clementine(father) that I haven't even started yet.

I have searched endlessly but haven't found anything useful. I am looking for a strain that would help me smooth out the rough edges of my ADHD/ASD brain as well or maybe better than that first harvest of unknown did. Anyone else ADHD/ASD and have some help with preferred strains? With the time it takes from seed to smoke I would love to just start with something that others have had success with.
I think what you're looking for is something strong. Being 70 adhd wasn't a diagnoses it was disruptive a disciplined not treated and drugged. Although many of us had adhd as all our parents of my age drank and drove their cars. We were just sent to the back of the class or out in the hall. So if I'm an example of an un-diagnosed adhd person then i recommend the strongest smoke you can find. What is called couch lock,. If you are in a legal area go get a sample / gram or 2 and try out different strains.....I can't speak of your autism but I have experience with adhd

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I know two smokers say they have ADHD and they do seem to prefer calming strains, usually on the indica side of the spectrum, but I don't know if that holds true for everyone. Two guys who have crossed paths with me isn't exactly a random sample.

G

geemonty

You know what I am in a legal state and that is a great idea that I had actually considered but kind of forgot about. I will get a gram of a few strains and see what works. I also don't have a large inside grow, I am usually just growing 2 plants at a time and my lights are currently on the 2x White Banner from seed so thats 1 variety down... Whats the best way to run several varieties just to test them. Should I do like a solo cup run and just flip them super fast after I sex them with the goal of just a single main cola? I have tons of nursery type pots of various sizes so it doesnt have to be solo cups. My indoor lights are 2x viparspectra xs1500, currently on the white banners but they will be done by January freeing up those lights. Maybe I'll sprout several beans, take some cuttings for potential mother if they work for me.

It was like magic for me, got good night sleep I was focused etc etc. It was this that actually got me excited to grow it. There are many overlapping negative traits with ASD and ADHD and honestly some of them I couldn't say which is which. I have executive function issue, which is most likely from the adhd, I was told was like a motivational rope bridge. Basically I know how to and even want to cross the bridge but there are too many planks missing for me to actually cross it, I found myself crossing that bridge everyday when I was smoking/vaping that first harvest. I have hypersensitivity for certain things, usually notice smells and sounds that other just never notice or notice much later. This is both good and bad I guess. For things like food that I enjoy its amazing, but than it can get overwhelming for things that are unpleasant to me. I can't drive without sunglasses as there is just always this glare that is completely distracting. I don't get anxiety at all but I get stressed and exhausted form social situations. All of this basically gone for the short while I had that batch. This current super silver haze x apple juice does well for some of it but not all. Like it hasn't helped with sleep.

This stuff is actually pretty amazing. My mom has been using infused coconut oil I originally made as a topical salve for her but it didn't work for her that way so I convinced her to try it sublingual/ingestion. She has never been so pain free. She used to always smell of icy hot and was still in pain. I made a tincture for her but she didn't like the taste so we sticking with coco oil but damn am I surprised with how amazing this plant is. Actually been thinking of applying for a grow license mostly to provide medicine at a reduced cost. Not the most experienced grower but I tend to learn and excel very fast in things I am interested in.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I wish you luck in your search. I was diagnosed Hyperactive and Learning Disabled back in the late 1960's. I don't mean in anyway to be a downer. But I've been growing weed since the mid 1970's and I've not found anything in the cannabis world that helped at all with anything.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I'm going to say that a hybrid OG like OG Kush, Alien OG or Wedding Cake might be a good candidate for your goals. Gorilla Glue and Girl Scout Cookies would also be good candidates if high THC strains work best for you.

I suggested Maui Wowie to a friend that had chronic insomnia and he said it was the best sleep he had had in a long time. Keep in mind that, initially, you will sleep great the first few times but may not experience as profound a sleep after that. It'll be good but may not make you feel as refreshed as you did that first time.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I know two smokers say they have ADHD and they do seem to prefer calming strains, usually on the indica side of the spectrum, but I don't know if that holds true for everyone. Two guys who have crossed paths with me isn't exactly a random sample.
Longer running Indica's as well, I've pulled plants too early and got the jitters after I smoked it, like coffee jitters. The longer it ripens the better for me.....8 weeks = 10 - 11 for smoother more of a mellow smoke.

G

geemonty

Longer running Indica's as well, I've pulled plants too early and got the jitters after I smoked it, like coffee jitters. The longer it ripens the better for me.....8 weeks = 10 - 11 for smoother more of a mellow smoke.
Might try letting one of the 2 white banners flower a bit longer than the other.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I'm bipolar, and the older I get, starting to think probably also have Asperger's. When I was able to smoke, I preferred sativas, personally. Something about the terpenes really did well for me. Indicas always drove a hard anxiety coupled with an inability to function. Sativas, though, they smoothed things out while taking that "edge" off. Can't say they'll work for you, a lot of people end up crippled with paranoia on em, but for me, they were highly effective. Can't smoke anymore because THC drives me right into a panic attack, but I still grow for a small group of patients and the act of growing is therapeutic in of itself.

My best advice is grow a diverse range of genetics, find what works for you. It's a process of elimination. If you can, stay away from hype strains or heavily hybridized genetics -- you want clean bloodlines, not hybrids of hybrids going back decades. Super Silver Haze (catpiss pheno was always my favorite), Cinderella 99 (hybrid, but insanely medicinal), Durban Poison, White Widow, White Rhino... good luck finding clean lines of any of those, but that's a solid mix of sativas and indicas you could look into, and the white strains will help anyone you're treating that has chronic pain.

Wish you luck, keep your head up and keep persevering!

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I'm bipolar, and the older I get, starting to think probably also have Asperger's. When I was able to smoke, I preferred sativas, personally. Something about the terpenes really did well for me. Indicas always drove a hard anxiety coupled with an inability to function. Sativas, though, they smoothed things out while taking that "edge" off. Can't say they'll work for you, a lot of people end up crippled with paranoia on em, but for me, they were highly effective. Can't smoke anymore because THC drives me right into a panic attack, but I still grow for a small group of patients and the act of growing is therapeutic in of itself.

My best advice is grow a diverse range of genetics, find what works for you. It's a process of elimination. If you can, stay away from hype strains or heavily hybridized genetics -- you want clean bloodlines, not hybrids of hybrids going back decades. Super Silver Haze (catpiss pheno was always my favorite), Cinderella 99 (hybrid, but insanely medicinal), Durban Poison, White Widow, White Rhino... good luck finding clean lines of any of those, but that's a solid mix of sativas and indicas you could look into, and the white strains will help anyone you're treating that has chronic pain.

Wish you luck, keep your head up and keep persevering!
THIS^^^^^

G

geemonty

ASD is typically not a solo thing, the nature of it essentially changing the physical structure of the brain tends to create comorbidities such as OCD, ADHD, dyslexia, and more, including bipolar disorder, so you might be an autistic individual.

I received some free seeds mentioned above that both have Critical clementine father, forgot to ask if it was the same father or not but probably was, but the mothers are purple thai haze and durban poison. Hopefully these work well for me.

As for my patients, I only have 2 patients at the moment and they both seem to be happy. My mom actually loves telling everyone how amazing marijuana is. She shows them how easily she can walk and move her legs now. She used to have to wait for about 10 seconds after standing up before she could walk, unless she wanted to possibly fall over. Not sure why, assume some sort of blood flow issue, doctors told her there was nothing they could find. I do intend to look for specific strains that they prefer as well but atm keeping me able to keep growing is probably my main concern. If I'm not well they wont get anything lol. I almost lost my plants outside this past summer because I just couldn't bring myself to water them, will probably setup an automated water this summer.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

ASD is typically not a solo thing, the nature of it essentially changing the physical structure of the brain tends to create comorbidities such as OCD, ADHD, dyslexia, and more, including bipolar disorder, so you might be an autistic individual.

I received some free seeds mentioned above that both have Critical clementine father, forgot to ask if it was the same father or not but probably was, but the mothers are purple thai haze and durban poison. Hopefully these work well for me.

As for my patients, I only have 2 patients at the moment and they both seem to be happy. My mom actually loves telling everyone how amazing marijuana is. She shows them how easily she can walk and move her legs now. She used to have to wait for about 10 seconds after standing up before she could walk, unless she wanted to possibly fall over. Not sure why, assume some sort of blood flow issue, doctors told her there was nothing they could find. I do intend to look for specific strains that they prefer as well but atm keeping me able to keep growing is probably my main concern. If I'm not well they wont get anything lol. I almost lost my plants outside this past summer because I just couldn't bring myself to water them, will probably setup an automated water this summer.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Your mother may want to sample a bottle of a pain relief cream from a company called Medterra. When I used to work with them they made a pain cream that was mainly CBD but had some THC also.

I suggested it to a friend of mines who's grandmother could barely walk for more than an a few minutes before her knees hurt too much. She tried the cream and she was able to walk around for a few hours a day for around 3 days before the pain returned. Not sure if your mother will see the same results but it bears mentioning as I've seen it with my own eyes.

G

geemonty

Your mother may want to sample a bottle of a pain relief cream from a company called Medterra. When I used to work with them they made a pain cream that was mainly CBD but had some THC also.

I suggested it to a friend of mines who's grandmother could barely walk for more than an a few minutes before her knees hurt too much. She tried the cream and she was able to walk around for a few hours a day for around 3 days before the pain returned. Not sure if your mother will see the same results but it bears mentioning as I've seen it with my own eyes.
She wouldn't want to pay the price as I make it for her basically for free. Her oral dosing seems to be working nicely but I will keep that in mind.

Super Silver Haze (catpiss pheno was always my favorite)
This is intersting. So the ssh x apple juice clone I have been using as a mother for most of my harvests worried me this harvest. Biggest harvest yet and ended up using 5gals with gamma lids to cure. I had never noticed it on past grows with same clones but it had a licorice but not quite licorice smell when I would burp as it got to end of cure. I was so worried I was getting mold or something was wrong with my new curing setup. I actually posted about it HERE. I am reading about the catt piss pheno LINK .......

Ammonia!!! That's what I am smelling and why I was worried. I described it as licorice but yeah its close to ammonia.

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
not looking for a diagnosis, thanks though. simply offered input. best i step off as i have shown my ass plenty a time upon misreading something here. you're obviously intelligent OP, you can figure it out.

grow a variety, eliminate what doesn't work. grow more of what does. much love.

G

geemonty

not looking for a diagnosis, thanks though. simply offered input. best i step off as i have shown my ass plenty a time upon misreading something here. you're obviously intelligent OP, you can figure it out.

grow a variety, eliminate what doesn't work. grow more of what does. much love.
Sorry I was not offering a diagnoses but simply offering a factoid regarding your first sentence in which you stated you might also be ASD. If you wish to seek a diagnoses that is up to you entirely. I am ASD so I could also very likely have worded it in a way that was off putting. I have pissed off, without knowing why, probably 1 person a day, my whole life, simply because of how I communicate. If I have said something offensive I apologize it was not meant as such.

That said I really appreciated your input and you actually maybe, probably solved a problem I had by bringing up the cat piss pheno! Thanks! At any rate I think I have what I need from what you and others offered me. Getting better at growing just have to learn what genetics I like now. Your last statement sums it all up perfectly.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Sorry I was not offering a diagnoses but simply offering a factoid regarding your first sentence in which you stated you might also be ASD. If you wish to seek a diagnoses that is up to you entirely. I am ASD so I could also very likely have worded it in a way that was off putting. I have pissed off, without knowing why, probably 1 person a day, my whole life, simply because of how I communicate. If I have said something offensive I apologize it was not meant as such.

That said I really appreciated your input and you actually maybe, probably solved a problem I had by bringing up the cat piss pheno! Thanks! At any rate I think I have what I need from what you and others offered me. Getting better at growing just have to learn what genetics I like now. Your last statement sums it all up perfectly.
no offense taken, you communicate in this medium much like i do. i appreciate that a lot. i often feel too long winded, seeing someone else that runs their shit out.. .thought dumps, even... is a relief.

you can figure this out. it's hard. real fucking hard. there are too many variables to control but one thing you can, and should, focus on is the plant. SHE will tell you if she's happy, or if you're making her uncomfortable. in my life, the one thing i can control is my plants, variety of 50+. all require different things, but damn if I don't meet their parameters. I CAN control that. my paranoia, anxieties, misconceptions of communication... still struggling with so many things after 30 years... I'm an ass. I accept it. Don't be like me. No harm no foul, other common adages.

Latest posts

Top Bottom