Stressed plant went into flowering?

• Thread starter NGC7023
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NGC7023

NGC7023

Hi all,

this is my first post here, I've been lurking for a couple of months and have been enjoying your posts. Now it's my turn to ask for advice 😁 I have 4 plants, got the seeds from Royal Queen Seeds (RQS) - 3x North Thunderfuck and got 1x Skunk XL for free. This is my first real grow, I'm not counting the trials I've had some 18 years ago. I have a Mars Hydro 1000 on 18/6. My setup is literally in the closet, but I think it's doing fine. I'm growing in soil with RQS Grow Caps added. Temperature varies between 19 and 25 C, humidity 55-70 %. The plants sprouted exactly a month ago. They were slow to start growing because the humidity was extremely low (30%) until I got a humidifier. I've topped them 20 days ago (march 20-22). All North Thunderfuck girls are doing fine, but the Skunk XL (the one nearest the camera lens in the photos) started flowering some 5 days afterwards and it seems it stopped growing. I'm guessing it's because of the stress from my (bad) topping. It's not an auto. Also, a few leaves at the bottom faded and one has a few brown patches (please see the photos). I'm wondering should I leave her in the closet with 18/6 schedule or maybe put her outside on the window to simulate the 12/12 cycle until I get the others to flower in a week or two?

Thanks for any help and greetings from Europe!

Stressed plant went into flowering
Stressed plant went into flowering 2
Stressed plant went into flowering 3
Stressed plant went into flowering 4

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Could they be autoflower?
I have a supposed "photo period" that went "auto" on me under 18/6. It's the only one that did this. I have 2 others of the same strain that showed pre-flowers but didn't move into flowering until under 12/12 lighting. In my case, the profile and the leaves of the 2 plants are different and to me, this suggests that its genetic and likely showing a recessive trait(ruderalis in there somewhere). I really don't know this for sure but it's logical and others (not all) seem to share my opinion on this.

I left mine in the tent when I flipped to 12/12. She's not going to produce much so if she hermies, she is gone ... and I watch her closely.

I don't see harm in leaving her in 18/6. Just watch for male flowers to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I thought so, too, but it's not advertised as auto. Also, a true auto would continue to grow, right? See here: Skunk XL
Here's a similar strain:

This is kind of what I mean. If somewhere in the breeding, ruderalis was introduced into the genetics of the plant, even though it's technically "photo period," you will see the recessive trait expressed. How often? Depends on the genetic tree. My example here says it autoflowers 50% of the time.

Last edited:
visajoe1

visajoe1

I have a supposed "photo period" that went "auto" on me under 18/6. It's the only one that did this. I have 2 others of the same strain that showed pre-flowers but didn't move into flowering until under 12/12 lighting. In my case, the profile and the leaves of the 2 plants are different and to me, this suggests that its genetic and likely showing a recessive trait(ruderalis in there somewhere). I really don't know this for sure but it's logical and others (not all) seem to share my opinion on this.

I left mine in the tent when I flipped to 12/12. She's not going to produce much so if she hermies, she is gone ... and I watch her closely.

I don't see harm in leaving her in 18/6. Just watch for male flowers to be on the safe side.
i have the same thing going on, but i'm letting it go just to see what happens. you never know with these runts sometimes. mine has been slowly stretching and trying to flower for about 4/5 weeks, and i flipped the tent to 12/12 a week ago. now its stacking under 12/12. each branch is littered with nuggets, its nuts

height is almost identical to its "sister" that is growing like a normal photo

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

i have the same thing going on, but i'm letting it go just to see what happens. you never know with these runts sometimes. mine has been slowly stretching and trying to flower for about 4/5 weeks, and i flipped the tent to 12/12 a week ago. now its stacking under 12/12. each branch is littered with nuggets, its nuts

height is almost identical to its "sister" that is growing like a normal photo

In my case, her sisters are easily 2 times her size and stretching nicely and beginning to fill in bud sites. I flipped to 12/12 16 days ago so those 2 have a long time yet to continue to fill out. My other is stacking on the bud sites she has but hasn't stretched at all. She's on a milk crate right now so she is closer to the light than she would be on the floor.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Do autos continue to grow under 18/6 lights?
Yes, it will grow, some farmers always stuck to 18/6 for autos, they need rest. But also growers said that 20/4 can get bigger buds, do what you feel right

Reactions: Ina
NGC7023

NGC7023

Yes, it will grow, some farmers always stuck to 18/6 for autos, they need rest. But also growers said that 20/4 can get bigger buds, do what you feel right

Yes, but I'm wondering if anyone is reading what I'm writing - the plant stopped growing. Therefore, I don't think it's an auto.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes, but I'm wondering if anyone is reading what I'm writing - the plant stopped growing. Therefore, I don't think it's an auto.
I have a photo-period right now that is behaving as an auto. I have a theory that it's due to ruderalis in the gene pool expressing itself. Ruderalis has a real short grow cycle.

I don't know this to be sure, but it is possible.

Reactions: Ina
Top Bottom