Strip her down? LED light penetration

• Thread starter Greysbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greysbuds

Greysbuds

I’m interested in hearing some opinions. I’m in week 3 of flower on my first grow and trying to avoid doing too much. I am running an atrium hydra “1000 watt” LED that’s pulling 102w from the wall powering flower over roughly a 2.5’x2x5’ canopy. To my untrained eye things look like they are stacking up well for some good production as we near the end of week 3 but I’m just not sure if I should strip this bushy girl down to allow for a bit more light as I’m worried I may already be a bit underpowered in the light department. PPFD reads between 900-1070 at canopy but drops dramatically further down the plant. What would you do?

Strip her down led light penetration
Strip her down led light penetration 2
Strip her down led light penetration 3
Strip her down led light penetration 4
Strip her down led light penetration 5
Bbonez

Bbonez

Strip her good, take 80% of the fan leaves and any lower branches that will never catch up.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I would clean up a lil on the inside and remove any fan leave that is directly blocking a prime bud site. That's just what I would do, plant looks really good, what size pot is that and what type of media? Fertilizer?

Greysbuds

Greysbuds

I would clean up a lil on the inside and remove any fan leave that is directly blocking a prime bud site. That's just what I would do, plant looks really good, what size pot is that and what type of media? Fertilizer?
Thank you. She is in a 7 gallon fabric pot with Ocean Forrest. Currently feeding with dry amendments Dr. Earth bud and bloom booster 3-9-4 as a tea every two weeks and I scratch the solids from making the tea into the top of the soil. Other than that just botanicare calmag plus 5ml/gallon at watering time.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thank you. She is in a 7 gallon fabric pot with Ocean Forrest. Currently feeding with dry amendments Dr. Earth bud and bloom booster 3-9-4 as a tea every two weeks and I scratch the solids from making the tea into the top of the soil. Other than that just botanicare calmag plus 5ml/gallon at watering time.

Good shit

chemistry

chemistry

I'd pull down some branches slightly, to make use of the empty space around your plant, and get to to grow out to the walls. 👍

Greysbuds

Greysbuds

I'd pull down some branches slightly, to make use of the empty space around your plant, and get to to grow out to the walls. 👍
I did a lot of lst to get her to the point she’s at now. Tent is 36x20 and I’ve noticed a pretty significant drop off of light intensity toward the outer edges. When the lights come on I am going to do a combo of tying down some of the branches to expand the canopy a bit more and a light defoliation. Thanks for the input.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Start from the bottom and work your way up. Work slow and try not to take more than 15%-20% of the leaves at any one trimming.
The only exception for me is after the first flower pops, I tend to lolipop mine to prevent lower branches from sucking energy from the buds.
But I always leave at least the last 2 nodes below the flower.

Greysbuds

Greysbuds

Welp. For better or worse the deed is done. I used a combination of advice you all provided me with. I may have had a bit too much coffee before getting after this thing. She got a pretty big trim and then I tied her down as space permitted. Much better light penetration and this strain has been really resilient up to this point so I really hope it takes advantage of the increased light and bulks right up. It was watering time so in an attempt to minimize shock I watered with 1tbsp/gal of blackstrap and 5ml/gal calmag plus. She’s zipped back up and now we wait.

before
AF191DD2 B16E 4778 92C0 997B0FC94F87

After
4B2684F4 E6CE 4A35 857D 71FEB191DA79
3A787718 7A84 46AB B43C 10920BA2F684
5A8DFA7A E19A 4EEB AC63 413C60C66E3E
81A8D12C 5A37 493B AE41 C9A896BF0C5D

Greysbuds

Greysbuds

3 day update: bud production way up foliage coming back strong. Considering a more selective defoliation to make sure prime bud sites have access to as much light as possible. Will give it a few more days tho don’t want to over stress if not necessary. Looks like I am developing a deficiency looks like mag? I don’t know how I am feeding 5ml/gal of calmag plus with every watering. Possibly just a very needy strain. What do you guys think?
3037A7C2 A020 4C8E AE24 F5D7FAB46840
A34B9788 F28F 4E54 A1E7 A7CDB3DEDECE
929F6D05 4BE1 41C1 9B77 D4D1DE2523DA
52C2EB3A 0042 443E A1A9 5842D97FA133

Top Bottom