Stripping plants of their fan leaves??

• Thread starter shavits
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

shavits

Whats up everybody I hope all is well! I was wondering if its a good idea to strip my plants of its fan leaves at the start of flowering? If so what is the benefit of this technique and how should this be done with less stress to the plant if any at all? I was told to do this but I have never done this before so I was looking for more advice. Just so you know I am growing outdoors in containers and I have about 15 ladies in 15 gallon containers and they are all doing well! I think by the end of July they should all be flowering in the sun.

M

mrdizzle

there is a really good thread on ICmag about this, I have always plucked fan leafs, I stripped down my blackberries at day 8 last run and had great budsize and zero popcorn. at the end there is still plenty of fan leaves to do work

southstreets

southstreets

i strip my plants from veg all the way through.. real heavy in veg and the first coupl weeks of flower.. then moderatly til the last two weeks... y thinnin it helps the light penetrate the middle of the plant.. which in turn causes side ranchin to grow off the main spears and also helps them fill in nice and tight come harvest time...

A

antimatter

there is a really good thread on ICmag about this, I have always plucked fan leafs, I stripped down my blackberries at day 8 last run and had great budsize and zero popcorn. at the end there is still plenty of fan leaves to do work

mrdizzle I tried at day 8 but I noticed it slowed down the stretch a bit but not bud formation did you notice that, i'll do the rest of my girls at day 21

B

budmonger

I do it twice in flower at day 20 and day 40 it works great for the kushes but other strains im not sure,be well.Peace and stay safe...budmonger

bigherb

bigherb

Farmer
IMO /IME outdoors is definetly a NO NO for takin off fan leaves they store nutrients which feed the plant and keep it healthy to produce the best harvest,the sun is the strongest light source available your not benefiting from this methood imo

IMO the only benefit of this technique is indo but to a minimal,ive seen techniques where the large fans leafs are tied/folded soo they dont block light but still feed the plant

its like do you need a hair we hav thousands or fingernails you hav 10 ,no reason too take off leaves unless they are dead or fallin off

1luvbigherb

P

paulycali

Its fine to thin your plants! I dont pull any branches off till flowering. I havent seen a benefit for doing that while the plants are in veg.

During flowering i do 2 rounds of thinning. Once at two weeks annd the other at 5 weeks. I thin over a few days so i dont stress the plants out to much. Thay seem to respond better that way.

I almost feel its best to just wait till the 5th week of flowering and then thin. I will test that out in a side by side comparison

S

SSHZ

I trim alot off the bottom 1/3 of all my plants about 1 week into flowering. Around 10 days out from finishing flowering, I remove most of the top sun leaves (4 sets) to let the lower buds get better lighting to help them finish up. Works fine IMO....

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I only start taking dead fans off in like the first week of august when they start to die off. I have had problems with mold if i dont remove the dead fans in flower.

S

shavits

Word thanks everybody for sharing your opinions with me! I may just thin them out to allow sunlight to penetrate the inside of my plants! Thanks again!

southstreets

southstreets

the benefit of thinning during veg is to create width not highth.. if you havent seen any benefits from it check my threads... already 4 ft wide by about 5 ft tall and i startd outside... meanin no veggin indoor then movin out.. plus almost all the plants already have 40 to 50 top growin.. thats with temps only toppin out in the low 70's.. cant wait til the 80's hit!!

S

shavits

Word thanks for all the info you guys ill thin them out a bit to see what happens!

M

mrdizzle

mrdizzle I tried at day 8 but I noticed it slowed down the stretch a bit but not bud formation did you notice that, i'll do the rest of my girls at day 21

I hadnt noticed that but with vertical lighting the stretch isnt as noticable as overhead lighting, I notice the plant slows for a day or two but then keep pushing forward

S

SVC889

cutting of fan leaves has absolutely no benefit. fan leaves do not shade hardly anything, visible light is much much different than what the plant uses you all need to do some research into PAR light. actually the only thing that those leaves reflect is light in the green spectrum's which are not even used by the plant for photosynthesis

B

biggs

i don't think it hurts to take some off as long as you don't strip it bare. i know they absorb the light and this helps the plant grow. but removing a few to help with air circulation, and to let the light reach the further down buds, does not affect the plant.

sedate

sedate

shavits said:
Word thanks everybody for sharing your opinions with me! I may just thin them out to allow sunlight to penetrate the inside of my plants! Thanks again!

This is what I do.

Everyone has their own technique.

I clean my plants up as soon as the flower-stretch is done - maybe week 2 1/2 or so.

true grit

true grit

Outdoor it won't be as big of a deal with the sun as your light. Ha. Great canopy penetration and the extra leaves may provide some extra cooling/shade for the plant/buds...just a thought.

Other than that, I agree with everyone- I start thinning in veg all the way til they are bald almost at harvest. Your budsites will love you. So will your yields....

A

antimatter

I hadnt noticed that but with vertical lighting the stretch isnt as noticable as overhead lighting, I notice the plant slows for a day or two but then keep pushing forward

I use vertical lighting and I find stretch still noticeable but thats with a bit more lighting then you have but I agree its not as much of a vertical stretch more a getting bigger and bushier (bout +25% with the strain I grow), it seemed like the ones that were plucked on day 8 focused there energy into bud formation and regrowing new fan leaves instead of that extra 25% of size. Might be the MPB water sports?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
cutting of fan leaves has absolutely no benefit. fan leaves do not shade hardly anything, visible light is much much different than what the plant uses you all need to do some research into PAR light. actually the only thing that those leaves reflect is light in the green spectrum's which are not even used by the plant for photosynthesis
Whoops! Looks like you need to do some readin', too. Green light is not functionally invisible/unusable light, plants use that portion of the spectrum as well.

Two papers for your perusal. :) Crap! The more pertinent paper won't upload, it's too big for the site's parameters. Here's a link, but it's the abstract only, don't think I can reprint this paper here (plus it's a little extensive). I'll post the introduction, though, it gives one a great deal to chew on.

Green Light Drives Leaf Photosynthesis More Efficiently than Red Light in Strong White Light: Revisiting the Enigmatic Question of Why Leaves are Green.

Introduction:
Absorbance spectra of chlorophylls or pigments extracted from green leaves show that green light is absorbed only weakly. Action spectra of photosynthesis for thin algal solutions, transparent thalli of ordinary green algae, and leaves of aquatic angiosperms also show that green light is less effective than red light. As has been pointed out by Nishio (2000), these facts are often confused, and it is frequently argued that green light is inefficient for photosynthesis in green leaves. However, many spectra of absorptance (the value of light absorption) measured with integrating spheres have shown clearly that ordinary, green leaves of land plants absorb a substantial fraction of green light (McCree 1972, Inada 1976, Gates 1980). It is also known that green light, once absorbed by the leaves, drives photosynthesis with high efficiency (Björkmann 1968, Balegh and Biddulph 1970, McCree 1972, Inada 1976). On an absorbed quantum basis, the efficiency or photosynthetic quantum yield of green light is comparable with that of red light, and greater than that of blue light. The difference between the quantum yields of green and blue light is particularly large in woody plants grown outdoors in high light. The question of how much green light is absorbed and used in photosynthesis by the green leaves of land plants has therefore been solved. In this mini-review, however, we aim at further clarifying another important role of green light in photosynthesis, by considering the intra-leaf profiles of light absorption and photosynthetic capacity of chloroplasts.

First, we briefly explain light absorption by the leaf. Secondly, we examine the light environment within the leaf. Thirdly, we compare the vertical, intra-leaf profile of photosynthetic capacity with that of light absorption. We also discuss some serious problems with the use of pulse amplitude modulated (PAM) fluorometry in assessing leaf electron transport rate and photoinhibition. Fourthly, we propose a new method to measure the quantum yield of any monochromatic light in white light, and demonstrate the effectiveness of green light in strong white light. Based on these arguments, we finally revisit the enigmatic question of why leaves are green.

View attachment Why are higher plants green Evolution of the higher plant photosynthetic pigment complement.PDF
J

Jalisco Kid

If your plants are outside lst them to open up the inside.Leaves make the plant. JK

Top Bottom