Strong smell despite tent size, filter and exhaust fan

• Thread starter GreenZone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenZone

Hey All,

I’m going to start by saying I’m fresh at this process and I could easily be doing something wrong.

I can’t for the life of me get the smell under control during flowering.

my setup consists of:
AC Infinity 4” exhaust fan
2x2.5x6 Gorilla grow tent
Spider Farmer SF-1000 grow light

I can visibly see the negative pressure being made from the exhaust fan pull air through the filter and out the tent through the ducting. The exhaust fan is directly connected to the filter and I’ve got it wrapped in metal duct tape and the ducting hose is running straight from the outtake end of the fan to the port on the side of the tent with no angles or bends to optimize CFM. I’ve got passive intact occurring that I can feel if I put my hand next to the vent and I’ve provided proper airflow in the room so it’s constantly being vented with open windows and a big fan that’s pushing air through the room.

with all that being said, my wife is going to kill me if I don’t get the smell under control and I wouldn’t blame her. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I

IamN2pot

Since you have negitive pressure in the tent and your exaust is forced through your carbon filter, you do have a carbon filter?, the problem has to be a flakey filter. A GOOD active charcoal carbon filter will kill your smell (I have the same wife problem 😊 ). Also, is the exaust fan running 24/7? If not, that could be your problem.
Hope that helps,
N2

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

You might want to post pics of your setup.

I am not an expert by any means, but I wonder if your fan/filter is not big enough for the job. I run an 8" fan/filter and vent it outside the tent as you are doing and I also open up of the lower vents on the tent to make sure there is plenty of fresh air supply for the fan. My set up takes care of all the smell, which I actually like the aroma of Cannabis....but I get it. My wife isn't too enthusiastic about the smell either.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hey All,

I’m going to start by saying I’m fresh at this process and I could easily be doing something wrong.

my setup consists of:

I can visibly see the negative pressure being made from the exhaust fan pull air through the filter and out the tent through the ducting. The exhaust fan is directly connected to the filter and I’ve got it wrapped in metal duct tape and the ducting hose is running straight from the outtake end of the fan to the port on the side of the tent with no angles or bends to optimize CFM. I’ve got passive intact occurring that I can feel if I put my hand next to the vent and I’ve provided proper airflow in the room so it’s constantly being vented with open windows and a big fan that’s pushing air through the room.

with all that being said, my wife is going to kill me if I don’t get the smell under control and I wouldn’t blame her. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Exhausting to the outside?

G

GreenZone

Since you have negitive pressure in the tent and your exaust is forced through your carbon filter, you do have a carbon filter?, the problem has to be a flakey filter. A GOOD active charcoal carbon filter will kill your smell (I have the same wife problem 😊 ). Also, is the exaust fan running 24/7? If not, that could be your problem.
Hope that helps,
N2
So I’m thinking that’s gotta be it then because my fan is running 24/7. And yeah I’ve got the AC Infinity 4” charcoal filter. What type of setup do you have? Do you ever have issues with smell?

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Hey All,

my setup consists of:

Pictures will definitely help. You can also try and take the carbon filter off and shake it and see if that helps. If not I would try a better charcoal filter.

G

GreenZone

You might want to post pics of your setup.

I am not an expert by any means, but I wonder if your fan/filter is not big enough for the job. I run an 8" fan/filter and vent it outside the tent as you are doing and I also open up of the lower vents on the tent to make sure there is plenty of fresh air supply for the fan. My set up takes care of all the smell, which I actually like the aroma of Cannabis....but I get it. My wife isn't too enthusiastic about the smell either.

1501CF6A 5FE9 41F2 B983 E19539AC585A
48D4809F 8C99 47B4 8EC6 C94C2A2BAD92
D6624121 53B7 44DA AC16 17296211F9AC
DCE2A14E 63C1 476F BAF4 702526F61C32
freezeland2

freezeland2

I have Gorillas 3x3 so not much bigger. I started with the 4” fan like you. Ended up getting a 6”. I moved the 4” to be a supply at the bottom with 6” as exhaust. I plugged the 4” into the same controller running the 6”. Both at max speed of 8 and minimum at off of 3. Works well to maintain environment in the tent like that.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I would also recommend their high cfm bars. They really help with the negative pressure collapsing the tent walls. They are cheap.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I would also recommend their high cfm bars. They really help with the negative pressure collapsing the tent walls. They are cheap.
I always try to keep a vent open on the lower side of the tent for fresh air intake, especially if you don't run an intake fan like you do. I don't so much worry about the tent sides coming inward as I do about burning up the fan because it's not getting a good enough air supply. Might not burn it up outright, but could lessen the life of the fan.

G

GreenZone

Hope that helps,
N2
Hey IamN2pot,

what is your current setup looking like? I’ve calculated the CFMs for my area, tent size, hoses, etc. and the numbers come out where I’m net positive by a significant amount, but I don’t know if I should just shell out the cash for a 6” fan instead. Here’s my current setup.

AD55A4D0 6EB8 4A12 A9CF FAFF500F53D5
I

IamN2pot

So I’m thinking that’s gotta be it then because my fan is running 24/7. And yeah I’ve got the AC Infinity 4” charcoal filter. What type of setup do you have? Do you ever have issues with smell?
I'm running a 6" Infinity fan and carbon filter in a 'tall' 4x4 tent. I'm setup with the filter connected to the intake side of the fan inside the tent, just like yours. The 6" duct goes out the top of the tent and into my attic. I keep the fan on #3 or higher and that keeps the wifes nose happy. I'm thinking you have a bunk filter. I'd order another one, differant brand on Amazon and see. If it fixes the problem, then you have a beef with Infinity. If it doesn't eliminate the smell, ........... Hell! I'd be pretty stumped. As for upsizing to a 6", not in a 3x3. My 4" exaust does great in my veg 4X4, but there aren't any smell issues with veg.
N2

IMG 20220414 202104

Last edited:
I

IamN2pot

I couldn't agree more. You will lose aproximately 25% of your tent width at the center of the tent. I priced CFM bars for my tents and decided I'd rather put that $30 (ea w/shipping) to better use. I used my bamboo stakes, cut to size and secured to the poles with my green wire tie. In the tall tent I upgraded to a 3/8" dowel rods from Home Depot for a buck each. They give you soooo much more space inside the tent in the middle and work perfectly.

IMG 20220414 204210
IMG 20220414 205043

D

Deaner

You'll be fine if you just get a new filter for your exhaust. Ask yourself? Was it working when I first got it? Always keep it new 2 grows max!
Love and respect!

D

Deaner

I'm running a 6" Infinity fan and carbon filter in a 'tall' 4x4 tent. I'm setup with the filter connected to the intake side of the fan inside the tent, just like yours. The 6" duct goes out the top of the tent and into my attic. I keep the fan on #3 or higher and that keeps the wifes nose happy. I'm thinking you have a bunk filter. I'd order another one, differant brand on Amazon and see. If it fixes the problem, then you have a beef with Infinity. If it doesn't eliminate the smell, ........... Hell! I'd be pretty stumped. As for upsizing to a 6", not in a 3x3. My 4" exaust does great in my veg 4X4, but there aren't any smell issues with veg.
N2

View attachment 1235993
I always draw in fresh air while exhaust the heat out of the top of my tent. Slight negative pressure, goes a mile and a half!!
Just keep incoming air les than the out going air. A small but important part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom