Student abandoned in DEA holding cell drank own urine to survive

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squarepusher

squarepusher

Student abandoned in DEA holding cell drank own urine to survive - Daniel Chong, a 24-year old student at UC San Diego, was taken into custody & abandoned in a holding cell for 5 days without food or water. “They never came back."

Student abandoned in DEA holding cell drank own urine to survive

By Eric W. Dolan
Tuesday, May 1, 2012 21:33 EDT
print_bottom.gif
Share on facebookShare on redditShare on diggShare on twitterShare on farkShare on stumbleupon158

Daniel-Chong-and-his-lawyer-screenshot.jpg

Topics: Daniel ChongDEAUC San Diego

Daniel Chong, a 24-year old student at UC San Diego, was taken into custody during a drug raid and abandoned in a holding cell for five days without food or water, according to NBC San Diego.
“They never came back, ignored all my cries and I still don’t know what happened,” he said. “I’m not sure how they could forget me.”
On April 21, Drug Enforcement Agents raided an apartment where Chong and his friends were smoking marijuana. Nine people were arrested and the agents reportedly seized ecstasy pills, marijuana, prescription medication, psychedelic mushrooms and weapons, according to CBS 8 News. Seven of those arrested were taken to jail and one was released.
Chong, however, was left handcuffed in a 5 ft. by 10 ft. holding cell.
Chong said he screamed and kicked the door, but to no avail. Eventually, he began hallucinating and drank his own urine in hopes of staying hydrated. After days without any human contact, he tried to kill himself by breaking his glasses with his teeth, and using the glass to cut himself.
Surprisingly, Chong allegedly found a bag of methamphetamine in the holding cell, which he used to stay awake.
After five days, a DEA worker heard noises coming from the holding cell and discovered him. Chong was taken to the hospital, where he spent three days in the intensive care unit.
The DEA has not apologized to Chong. He has not been charged with any crime.
Watch video, courtesy of NBC San Diego, below:
View more videos at: http://nbcsandiego.com.

B

Burned Haze

wouldn't be surprised if a. Few have died and what not and just dropped off without any evidence , FUCK THE GOVERNMENT !

ttystikk

ttystikk

Mr. Chong now has grounds- and the public platform- for a nice fat lawsuit... and the bastards who forgot him should have to pay for it out of their own pocket. That would be justice- which of course we know no longer happens in this country, except perhaps occasionally by accident.

K

kolah

this is just the beginning. Indefinite detention is now legal, folks.

PIGS did something similar to me except it was only 3 hours. no phone call, no right to attorney, etc.

dirk d

dirk d

ya he looks like an enemy combatant. he probably couldnt produce his passport when they arrested him. this is way too much. i'm very worried for this country.

Illmind

Illmind

Lol @ kolah u are out there man. 3 hrs?? Thats fast.. Prob fastest releas ever. I like the part were he 'magically' found a bag of shards. Prob didnt search his person well enough. Nice to know the dea is now going after college kids partying cuz lord knows college kids dont party.. Dix

ttystikk

ttystikk

America, and especially its governement, has a longstanding habit of crossing the boundaries of our constitutional protections, crossing them some more when called on it, and then finally forced to back off in the face of overwhelming criticism of its actions. With the MMJ movement, we are reaching that tipping point. Trouble is, every time this cycle occurs, it takes more and more human rights abuses for it to work. Someday, it won't matter what the populace says as the government simply can't be forced to care, and that will be the end of our democracy.

dankworth

dankworth

I believe we have a republic vs. a democracy, would have to look further to actually intelligently debate any particulars of this.

P

paulycali

Why why why! Didn't the video say they found meth inside his cell? Cover up anyone? Dea trying to save their ass. More money wasted on the war on drugs. Especially after chong sues the shit out of the dea. There is something wrong with our society for sure. Stuff like this needs to be stopped. STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS!!!!!

deep buddy

deep buddy

yeah it seem the cops are our enemys i almost got shoot in my front yard a few days ago for nothing! when did it turn from protect and serve to intimidate and assume guilt?

K

kolah

Lol @ kolah u are out there man. 3 hrs?? Thats fast.. Prob fastest releas ever. I like the part were he 'magically' found a bag of shards. Prob didnt search his person well enough. Nice to know the dea is now going after college kids partying cuz lord knows college kids dont party.. Dix

This little diddy started in Manitou Springs. I saw a metermaid ticketing a parked car and asked her what she was doing. She says to me, "what's it look like?" I said, " It looks like you are ruining someones day, don't you have something better to do?" She radioed for the pigs and off they came.
I refused to talk to the pigs...exercised my 5th amendment right and my personal right to STFU. The oinksers didn't like that and didn't know how to handle me...so they pulled a taser on me, handcuffed me, impounded my dog and threw me in a cell. They wanted me to talk. I requested a phone call and lawyer and whereabouts of my dog. They ignored me. They would come back about every 20 minutes but I wouldn't say shit. I was never charged with anything. Fuck em' all.

K

kolah

I believe we have a republic vs. a democracy, would have to look further to actually intelligently debate any particulars of this.

Dead straight. I would guess 90% of americano people do not understand the difference. (and esp the OWS crowd)........although a debate IMO would be fruitless.

Medijuana

Medijuana

This little diddy started in Manitou Springs. I saw a metermaid ticketing a parked car and asked her what she was doing. She says to me, "what's it look like?" I said, " It looks like you are ruining someones day, don't you have something better to do?" She radioed for the pigs and off they came.

I'm as libertarian as they get, but I'm sorry bro, it seems like you were looking for trouble and you found it. That's how the universe works sometimes and I don't feel sorry for you. That lady was doing her job and parking violations are a no-brainer. You decided to fuck with her and she sicked her dogs on you. Not at all saying that was cool of her, but karma's a bitch, and it bit you back hard and fast.

Regarding the dude in the story though, I do feel for him, and now the DEA has released an official apology because they know they fucked up:

"I am deeply troubled by the incident that occurred here last week," DEA San Diego Acting Special Agent in Charge William R. Sherman said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "I extend my deepest apologies the young man and want to express that this event is not indicative of the high standards that I hold my employees to. I have personally ordered an extensive review of our policies and procedures."
An earlier statement from the San Diego DEA office was less contrite, with spokeswoman Amy Roderick saying that the student was caught in a drug raid because "he was at the house, by his own admission, to get high with his friends."
I can't wait to see how much they have to fork over to that poor dude after the suit is settled.

Illmind

Illmind

I got tossed on a cell for 2 days cuz i wouldn give em my name cuz they stole a lot of money out of my pocket.. After 2 days i was practically dying to get out it felt like 20 days.. When they came in got me they had to call one of the arresting officers at home because they forgot about me. I wqs definately being hard to deal with lol! They took me for a lot of money. On top of that they intimadated the only witness that saw them take my shit so i couldnt do shit about it. And when your in holding u do not get a phone call. Once u in jail then u get ya call. Sucks but thats how it works. Damn thats unfortubate u got pinched for telling a meter maid ya mind.

og619

og619

I hope chong invests in the best lawyers possible, and take thoses pieces of shit for a nice chunk of change. He was not only locked in a cell for 5 days but "handcuffed", i've been handcuffed in a cell for a few hrs and almost lost my mind.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I hope justice will get served. That's pretty inhumane, didn't people who used to do this be charged w/ crimes against humanity? It's pretty close to torture. I guess that's legal nowadays cause we don't have human rights anymore... since we forfeited them for security after...

K

kolah

"....just doing their job." YEAH right. That's what the friggin' nazis said.

Medijuana

Medijuana

"....just doing their job." YEAH right. That's what the friggin' nazis said.

Dude, are you a 12 year old sociopath? If someone breaks the law, am I to expect you to enforce it? No! The meter-maids are basically on you-park-like-an-asshole patrol, and luckily there are laws to prevent assholes from taking up two spaces, parking in 2-hour parking spots all day, parking in front of fire hydrants, etc. These are the types of laws libertarians should be supportive of, as we need laws that protect us from assholes (and not ourselves). By confronting this lady the way you describe, and then being a little twerp and not explaining yourself when she called backup because she probably felt threatened by you, you found yourself in custody. And you want a congratulations for that? Or you want us to feel bad for you? Of course it is your right to STFU in police presence, but guess what dude, you brought all of those excruciating 3 hours in custody on yourself, and if you had just STFU in the first place and let that lady work under the laws that actually have some use in our society, you wouldn't be looking for sympathy where there is none. And for you to equate the enforcement of needed laws with Nazis just shows how juvenile and obstructionist you really are. I hope you learn how to take responsibility for your actions someday and begin to actually add something positive to this planet.

K

kolah

Me wonders if you'd call me a "little twerp" in person. You can disagree with me but try and avoid shit-talking.

No further explanations needed. Enuf' sed. Have a nice day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom