Stumped as to what this irregular pattern is [All info attached]

• Thread starter mrSimples
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrSimples

mrSimples

Hi guys, first time indoor grower here. Attached images have had me scratching my head for a few days already. Strange discoloration has been occuring on my first leaves and I can't seem to find any post with similar spotty patterns. The symptoms seem to be diminishing as new nodes sprout up, but I can still see some small spots of discoloration/lighter green.

Here's the current situation with my grow, as per forum rules:

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seeds, 2 northern lights from sensi seeds.

2. How old are your plants? 15 days from seed, a week and half from potting and first set of real leaves.

3. How tall are your plants? About 10cm including part of the stem which is below the soil, didn't want the seedlings to become too lanky.

4. What size containers are they planted in? Currently in a 2L pot.

5. What is your soil mix? It's Biobizz Light mix

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? I leave 2 to 3 days without water, meaning watering schedule is 3 to 4 days resulting is 2 waterings per week.

7. What is the pH of your water? Measured to 6.3.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Whole biobizz lineup, currently using 4ml/l RootJuice, 2ml/l ActiVera, 2ml/l bioHeaven, 0.3ml/l CalMag, and up til now I've had to phDown around 0.5ph starting from 7ph rested mix. Water in my city is very soft, between 0.1 and 0.3 ms/cm. NPK with the nutes I'm using currently is probably minimal as I haven't started feeding bioGrow.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? I have been foliar misting twice a day, in order to keep the humidity up, it has been quite low in occasion, currently sitting around 35-40%.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") Using MarsHydro FC3000 at around half power, ppfd app showing around 400-450ppfd.

11. How close are your lights to the plants? 45cm/17inches

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 70x70x160cm or 27,5x27,5x63inch

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Temps are also quite high but manageable from 26 to 29ºC (77 to 84F)

14. What is the pH of the soil? Could only read runoff, sits at 6.5.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? I initially thought it could be some kind of mite, but spots seems to be pretty stable and I believe appear even as the new leaves are opening, no expansion. Also checked under leaves thoroughly which wasnt hard as I was already seeing spots on the first 2 real leaves and didn't have to try to get my microscope inside a forest of leaves.

16. How much experience do you have growing? None.

A series of images:

A general view of the plant with some new leaves looking quite normal along with some older leaves with spottiness, including the worst offender (2nd node, secondary leaf on the right). Last image is the same plant in a younger stage, showing how the spots develop.

20220825_102513.jpg

20220825_102440.jpg

20220821_232038.jpg

Plant next to this one is ahowing absolutely no spots, feeding the same, same light, same conditions. It's a bit smaller and took around 12 more hours to sprout.
20220825_102525.jpg

I should also mention I have a fan blowing some but not directly hitting the leaves, resulting in a very mild plant vibration. Reasons I thought this could be happening are too much light, wind burn or perhaps some defficiency. I'm pretty stumped though, reason being the plant next to it is doing pretty good from a newb's visual standpoint. Also any wilting you may see is due to the photographs just been taken right after morning water.

Appreciate any help and thanks.

mancorn

mancorn

Have you scoped the underside of the leaves for critters? Could be thrip damage. (Whitefly does similar, but almost assuredly you’d seem them fluttering around.)

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

First, welcome to the farm and great post. Love how you provided all the important details!

I'm thinking unless you find bugs, ride it out and lets see the new growth in a few days.

mrSimples

mrSimples

Thanks for the reassuring comments and the warm welcome, guys.

Definitely not any kind of flying critter. As for the underside I thoroughly inspected the first 4 leaves as soon as I saw the first spots, as I was sure they were culprit, being of course the closest resemblance amongst the first google results for spotty leaves. Hour and a half later and having become permanently crosseyed using the microscope, no sign. Been checking ever since.

As I finished typing my first post, I decided to keep searching and stumbled upon the unwindable worm ball that is TMV alongside images which were eerily similar to my plant. Once again anxiety rose to the top of my head as I realized I smoke filtered cigars with a literal tobbaco leaf wrapped around it and had most probably touched the plants after that. From what I could gather, it's highly unlikely that it's TMV or any kind of virus, and is in fact most likely just some mutant variegation of sorts, there being no expansion to the plant right next to this one and all. It's crazy how similar some photos are though...

Anyhow, will def ride on with the grow and see what happens. If there is any kind of virus the damage is already done. I'll try to post an update after a few days since I scoured the internet for a long while and didn't find any clear info on similar stuff. Either that or people leaving the thread without an outcome.

Also, do you guys see 4 images? I can only see 3 of the four I uploaded.

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

I see 4 on a Iphone 13 - led is a new game if this is your first run may take a minute to dial it all in - personally like Moe said keep on trucking !
Welcome to the farm

mrSimples

mrSimples

Back to report new growth is not showing this issue anymore.

I'm on pc and android by the way. Still can only see 3 out of 4 images. No matter.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Back to report new growth is not showing this issue anymore.

I'm on pc and android by the way. Still can only see 3 out of 4 images. No matter.
Mmm 🤔 not sure about the photos but glad to here ur ladies have tuned the corner

Latest posts

Top Bottom