Stumped with this one, could use some help.

• Thread starter coeusk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
coeusk

coeusk

Future #1 by Anesia Seeds

EC - 835us
pH - 5.9
Light -15,000 lux
water temp 21c
VPD - .8 to .9
airstone 24/7

Using Tap water which is around 220us
Calmag to bring water up to 450us
Then add nutes.
15ml of peroxide
ph the water

For nutes Im using the lucas formula. Which is a 1:2 ratio of General Hydroponics Micro and Bloom.

As you see the plant is generally growing well, new growth looks fine then after a few days small spots appear, then the majority of the leaf gets covered in brown areas. roots are nice and white no slime and tested my ph pen with a buffer and its spot on.

Stumped with this one could use some help
Stumped with this one could use some help 2
Stumped with this one could use some help 3
Stumped with this one could use some help 4
Stumped with this one could use some help 5
Stumped with this one could use some help 6

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Hope this helps, but may not apply. I had a water softener on my tap and ended up with similar looks. Stopped adding salt for softener and all was solved.

coeusk

coeusk

Hope this helps, but may not apply. I had a water softener on my tap and ended up with similar looks. Stopped adding salt for softener and all was solved.
I don't use a softener, just water right from the tap

MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

Looks hungry, make sure your pH pen is accurate. If it is you just need to feed more.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
can’t help as i’m not a hydro grower but i’m in to see the future 1 from anesia, our outdoor one this year was a beauty and i have 2 more seeds to start in january..
good luck hope it works out!

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Rust spots are usually cal/mag deficiency. Try getting one of the ph drops kits, they're like $10 off of amazon. Just to double check, ya know?

Can you take any pics of the undersides of the leaves where the necrosis is starting, look for bugs?

coeusk

coeusk

can’t help as i’m not a hydro grower but i’m in to see the future 1 from anesia, our outdoor one this year was a beauty and i have 2 more seeds to start in january..
good luck hope it works out!
Did you notice that it needed anything out of the ordinary? More calmag, certain micros/macro that are out of the ordinary. I recently ran a Northern Lights with exact same formula and it did great. I'm leaning on fungus or this stain requires something more then what I normally give a plant.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'd cut out that calmag altogether if your using tap water over 200ppm. Good tap water with Lucas shouldn't need extra calmag. If you have too much calcium in solution it will start locking itself out by binding and precipitating with other nutrients causing a spectrum of deficiencies.
To me, the problem is that you're using too much Calcium.

growsince79

growsince79

I'd cut out that calmag altogether if your using tap water over 200ppm. Good tap water with Lucas shouldn't need extra calmag. If you have too much calcium in solution it will start locking itself out by binding and precipitating with other nutrients causing a spectrum of deficiencies.
My thought is also too much calmag.

coeusk

coeusk

I just bumped up my EC to 1200us. I'm going to give it a day or two if doesn't get any better then I'll remake some water excluding the calmag.

I attached a reading from my water company not sure how accurate it is.

Screenshot 20211114 183140

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I just bumped up my EC to 1200us. I'm going to give it a day or two if doesn't get any better then I'll remake some water excluding the calmag.

I attached a reading from my water company not sure how accurate it is.

View attachment 1188355
I'll admit I'm not a fan of the Lucas formula to begin with. It's complete, but it's not balanced imho.. that said, it should have plenty of calcium in it so that combined with that tap water, you will have enough. Adding 230ppm of calmag is definitely adding too much calcium, I wouldn't be surprised if your total Ca is in excess of 200-250ppm. Should be closer to 100-150 total.

Calmag in general should only be used if you see a deficiency. And even then there are better options for correcting that.

Plants that age, I would just use your tap water, and bring ppm up to about 750 TOTAL. More isn't better. They just need enough of the right stuff in the right proportions.

coeusk

coeusk

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the Lucas formula to begin with. It's complete, but it's not balanced imho.. that said, it should have plenty of calcium in it so that combined with that tap water, you will have enough. Adding 230ppm of calmag is definitely adding too much calcium, I wouldn't be surprised if your total Ca is in excess of 200-250ppm. Should be closer to 100-150 total.

Calmag in general should only be used if you see a deficiency. And even then there are better options for correcting that.

Plants that age, I would just use your tap water, and bring ppm up to about 750 TOTAL. More isn't better. They just need enough of the right stuff in the right proportions.
I agree, Lucas formula isn't optimal but its easy. using a straight forward 1:2 and just aiming for a specific ec take the guess work out of it. and being able to run the same formula through the whole cycle is really nice as well.

I'm going to give it another day if no improvements Ill definitely cut out the calmag.

Thanks again for the help.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I agree, Lucas formula isn't optimal but its easy. using a straight forward 1:2 and just aiming for a specific ec take the guess work out of it. and being able to run the same formula through the whole cycle is really nice as well.

I'm going to give it another day if no improvements Ill definitely cut out the calmag.

Thanks again for the help.
No prob. I'm 90% sure that's your problem.
Honestly, last bit of a nudge here.. the best thing you could do is replace the Calmag with the third bottle of Grow and just use the 3 part as it was designed to be used with regular tap water. Would almost certainly fix all your problems and you'd be working with the same number of bottles still. But I think just dropping the calmag would fix thing up too.

If you really want simplicity, switch to a complete balanced one part nutrient line like Botanicare pure blend pro, or Dyna-gro Foliage pro. It doesn't get any more simple. And neither requires any Calcium supplementation whatsoever.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I think I have been giving her too much calmag so you might be right. pH fluctuated slightly between 5.8-6.0 and tested my pen with two buffers this morning so don't think its pH.
I struggled with my F #1 also. They really like a balanced feed and I had to up my Mag but not calcium. My water is pretty similar to yours

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Is there any way you can use ro or distilled for now? For sure has a nutrient imbalance since there are no root issues and light is ample. Ill tell you this, I use flora trio with calmag and RO. I start at 7ppm ro, I add calmag to 100pmm. Then you can add your normal ratios on top of that. For where your at, id just use .5ml per gal off all 3 bottles and lower your ec to like .3 or 300ppm.

Id go to walmart and get like 20 gallons of distilled for 20 bucks for now and do what i suggested. Easy fix in my opinion.

I dont go over 400ppm for veg. . ever, using flora trio. Now if you have a bunch of other things your adding let me know. Since your using peroxide I doubt it lol. .

For the first 3 weeks my plants basically get equal ratios of calmag, micro, grow and bloom, prolly not the fastest growth ratio, but i get no issues.

Top Bottom