Stunted Seedling in coco coir

• Thread starter _B_
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
_B_

_B_

This seeds probably two weeks old and just quit growing all together. Any ideas why?

Stunted seedling in coco coir
BB22

BB22

Im still a padawan but she just seems slower than seed’s I’ve had in the past. Went a little dryer in the beginning cause I always damp em off

I grow in soil. Know nothing of growing in coco. ✌️

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Mix up a gallon of solution, Set the plant in a sink and run a litre threw the pot every other day.
Don't worry, water it slow and let water/ solution run out the bottom k.
We want it to do that. 25% run off.
Never just water! Always fertilizer solution! This will get her growing.
Watch the PH very carefully. Same when mixing nutrient solutions. Measure carefully.
Before a seedling can grow a top it must first grow a root system to feed the top.
2 or 3 weeks is about on schedule.
Check out Coco for cannabis
You will learn plenty about growing in coco.

Come back and enjoy the farm!

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

This seeds probably two weeks old and just quit growing all together. Any ideas why?
In Coco, you need to give nutrients pretty much constantly. Coco gives no nutrients. Get a General Hydroponics (GH) set of charts and fertilizers and feed it as a seedling.

It's also going to be growing roots dramatically, which you can't tell at first but which can explode your growth soon. But it needs nutrients to get there.

Natep

Natep

Check the roots for springtails. Little white bugs. Normally won’t mess with the plants but if there is nothing else to eat they will eat the roots.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Did the coco come from a brick?

Ive had issues like this with brick coco if i didnt flush it before using. At least the slow seedling part. But it didnt look healthy.

Lmao i havent seen the word fertigating outside large scale agriculture. That took me by surprise a bit. That plant isn't asking for food, its cotyledeons are doing just fine feeding a plant that small still.

And im sure he'd have noticed the plant wilt if he was steadily underwatering for 2 weeks. Plants that small are quite moisture sensitive in both directions.

When i grew soiless in coco/perlite, this is generally about what a 3 day old plant looks like in my experience. But if the acidity of brick coco was the issue, it wouldnt look essentially totally fine. It would look like it was in a mix too acidic. I ended up transitioning back to peat/verm/perlite, and then back to soil before moving to DWC. And that whole transition was set in motion because the PH of coco bricks i was getting at home depot started to vary wildly brick to brick. No clue if its still like that.

No clue why its so slow. It looks pretty fine. 🤷‍♂️ Has that yellow coty tip, but that happens all the time if a seedling's embyo has a little tissue stuck when it molts the seed casing.

Last edited:
_B_

_B_

Ive had issues like this with brick coco if i didnt flush it before using. At least the slow seedling part. But it didnt look healthy.

Lmao i havent seen the word fertigating outside large scale agriculture. That took me by surprise a bit. That plant isn't asking for food, its cotyledeons are doing just fine feeding a plant that small still.

And im sure he'd have noticed the plant wilt if he was steadily underwatering for 2 weeks. Plants that small are quite moisture sensitive in both directions.

When i grew soiless in coco/perlite, this is generally about what a 3 day old plant looks like in my experience. But if the acidity of brick coco was the issue, it wouldnt look essentially totally fine. It would look like it was in a mix too acidic. I ended up transitioning back to peat/verm/perlite, and then back to soil before moving to DWC. And that whole transition was set in motion because the PH of coco bricks i was getting at home depot started to vary wildly brick to brick. No clue if its still like that.

No clue why its so slow. It looks pretty fine. 🤷‍♂️ Has that yellow coty tip, but that happens all the time if a seedling's embyo has a little tissue stuck when it molts the seed casing.
The coco was from a brick. It wasn’t buffered or anything.
Check the roots for springtails. Little white bugs. Normally won’t mess with the plants but if there is nothing else to eat they will eat the roots.
ill take a look. I haven’t seen anything like gnats on the top but maybe underneath.
Mix up a gallon of solution, Set the plant in a sink and run a litre threw the pot every other day.
Don't worry, water it slow and let water/ solution run out the bottom k.
We want it to do that. 25% run off.
Never just water! Always fertilizer solution! This will get her growing.
Watch the PH very carefully. Same when mixing nutrient solutions. Measure carefully.
Before a seedling can grow a top it must first grow a root system to feed the top.
2 or 3 weeks is about on schedule.
Check out Coco for cannabis
You will learn plenty about growing in coco.

Come back and enjoy the farm!
I’ve read on there a bit but every time I water daily they seem to damp off.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

The coco was from a brick. It wasn’t buffered or anything.

ill take a look. I haven’t seen anything like gnats on the top but maybe underneath.

I’ve read on there a bit but every time I water daily they seem to damp off.
if you feed a plant that small that still has viable cotyledeons it better be at like 1/4 strength lol. It would be VERY easy to burn a plant this small that isnt stunted let alone one that is. If you flush her out just use PH corrected distilled or RO water or something. If you can get the plant to start to grow then quickly work some feed in then scale up into veg, but rn that would prob not be the best idea. Its doesnt look hungry.

If from a brick, definitely flush the coir pre use. Especially if its that (i think burpee brand) stuff from home depot.

Could def be wrong, but as far as i knew, springtails only ate plant matter that has already died and begun decaying. And a seedling having its roots eaten probably wouldnt look this healthy, like i said, could be wrong there though lol.

Last edited:
N

newbeegrower

Even after 2 weeks the cotyledeons still supply the plant nutrients? Or does it just depend on the growth? Ive read i should feed 24 hours after the cotyledons open.

Top Bottom