Stunted Seedling Issue

• Thread starter Lazerus00
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Hello fellow farmers!!! I come to you frustrated, confused, upset, and just plain baffled. I have been growing for a few years now but really only started seriosly growing indoors for 2 years. I have always kept things organic and or natural for the most part with the only bottled nute line ever used being Nectar for the Gods but now I am using Anbessa nutes with a few other inputs like Osa28, SLF-100, Veganic Special Sauce, and a cpl others. Since the begining I have always had great success with germinating and growing. I am not saying I am this badass grower that only grow crystal covered liter size cola plants but I get by. So my last succcessful grow was harvested in early Jan and I was, at the time working with a 1 tent setup for veg and flower so I had to wait to harvest before starting anything new. Well after that harvest I got a 2nd tent so I could run a perpetual cycle and harvest more meds. Starting with the first batch of seeds I germed, everything looked fine when the popped up outa their plugs and showed their cytodoyles (or however its spelt) but afterer they grew their first set of true leaves (serrated) they just STOPPED GROWING!!! At first I thought it was just that batch of seeds but seed after seed from breeder after breeder they were all doing the same thing!! Its like my seedlings are germing and only growing as much as the stored energy in their seed is giving them, not taking in any water or nutrition from the soil. The seedling soil I am now using is Light Warrior from Fox Farms but I have also tried bas's seedling mix and also my own. Once the seedlings grow to that small fistr set height they just stop! I notice that they are not growing roots either, hence them not taking in anything from the soil. I have only ever gave the seedling plain clean water, or water with osa28 and slf100 or some vss. I have tried switching from my Airpot prop cells (which I have previously grown seedlings with great success) I have also tried switching back to red solos to see if a smaller constainer was the answer but no luck. I have tried watering more, watering less, I have tried root enhancers like Deep6 and Vam from BioAg but they just wont fucking grow!! And after I transplant I ofcourse don't water until the soil is completely dry but once I do water it is like the water never gets used or evaporates and the soil stays wet! Just bc I know it will get asked I have tried both in my tent and in a reg room under T'5s..I usually didn't pH my water in the past and never had problems but now have tried both pH'd and non pH'd water...My lights on temps are 74-77 with rh around 40 and lights off at 68-70 with rh in the 30's (for my tent at least) in the bare room I tried starting them in the temp were similar but the rh was consitantly at like 20%. I have ask close trusted fellow growers who of course started with "you watered too much" and "its too big of a container" but none of those could be it bc the fact is that even when I don't water but once I still have this problem. I am so confused and upset that I am almost ready to give up!! It's like all of a sudden their is something toxic in my air or water that is not letting my babies grow roots. I have been thru well over 70 seeds and countless hundreds of $$ lost in genetics and am now only trying herm beans or personal testers until i figure out what the fuck is going on....One strange thing I noticed is one of the seedlings that was getting yellow as they do after 2 or 3 weeks of staying on their first set of true leaves I moved it outside in a pot with some soil from last season and after about 2 or 3 weeks of it just chilling looking ugly in that outdoor pot it started growing and is now looking pretty decent. I have also started seed completley outdoors and even with the close to freezing temps I was having not too long ago the beans outdoors seem to be germing and growing past my indoor plants with no problems. I am convinced if its not toxic air it has to be some sort of fungal disease that is in the room I start my seedlings in or something but idk. The lil tiny root/s that the seedlings do show are white and look healty...Not sure what other info I can give but please if anyone has any advice I am so close to giving up on growing bc of this.....I attached a cpl pics of seedlings that were germed in the very begining of April and they look like they are 5 days old....

Stunted seedling issue
Stunted seedling issue 2
Stunted seedling issue 3
Stunted seedling issue 4
Stunted seedling issue 5
Stunted seedling issue 6
Stunted seedling issue 7
Stunted seedling issue 8
Stunted seedling issue 9
Stunted seedling issue 10
Lazerus00

Lazerus00

They just stop growing when they get that big no matter what!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I ALL OF A SUDDEN DOING WRONG??? How can it be that I go from growing plants that I can notice growth everyday....TO THIS!?!?!?! I just don't know what to do except maybe starting some seeds in another house and see what happens....

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Those plants look locked out. Either your pH is way off or you're overfeeding them. Plants so small should not be getting all the extras you mentioned.

Are you sure 77 is the highest your temperature goes? I've killed seeds before because my space can overheat right under the lamps and get into the 90s if airflow is restricted. Get a laser thermometer and hit the leaves to test temps at the canopy. Ambient temp can be deceiving, canopy temperature is the important measurement.

That light warrior has been problematic for me in the past. Try 50/50 light warrior + roots organic or similar soil with moderate available nutrition.

If changing those factors offers no relief, then you likely have a pathogen.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Those plants look locked out. Either your pH is way off or you're overfeeding them. Plants so small should not be getting all the extras you mentioned.

Are you sure 77 is the highest your temperature goes? I've killed seeds before because my space can overheat right under the lamps and get into the 90s if airflow is restricted. Get a laser thermometer and hit the leaves to test temps at the canopy. Ambient temp can be deceiving, canopy temperature is the important measurement.

That light warrior has been problematic for me in the past. Try 50/50 light warrior + roots organic or similar soil with moderate available nutrition.

The leaves temp with my ir gun is 73 and yea i have not fed ANYTHING so if its the light warrior id understand but like i said i have tried other seedling soils...but k=just bc I trust your advice I will go grab a bag of roots organic to try to cut the LW with. Also my ph is 6.2 going in and 6 coming out

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

@NaturalTherapy also I was under the notion that osa28 is just silica which was more then okay to give to seedlings and slf100 being an enzyme was also okay....the other veganic special sauce is really just bennies so Im not sure how it could be those...but also i have tried seedling using just water too

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

I suspect it is your low relative humidity... Low relative humidity will cause the stomata to close, they will stop chlorophyll production and the growth will be stunted.
but is it not strange that all of a sudden RH is the issue? I have been growing robust plants with the same conditions for over a year with great success.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

also they dont look yellow like that until about week 4 of being that small...its like they are eating themselves...up until then they are a nice healthy green...

ken dog

ken dog

but is it not strange that all of a sudden RH is the issue? I have been growing robust plants with the same conditions for over a year with great success.
Well, it would be a simple matter to adjust the relative humidity and see if they grow better.
20% is pretty low.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Well, it would be a simple matter to adjust the relative humidity and see if they grow better.
20% is pretty low.
oh lol...that was just a seperate room i tried, my tent is mid 40s during lights on and mid 30's to mid 40's lights off

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I can't comment on using OSA28 on seedlings, likewise the other additives because I simply haven't the experience to comment. I guess just because I tend toward minimal inputs until plants are established, I just don't add anything really. Lately I've just been using roots organic for seeds, all but the most sensitive genetics respond great to it. I like the Dragonfly Earth Medicine Lush Roots product, but haven't yet tried it on seedlings.

If your roots aren't growing that suggest media and/or water issues. How's your water? Heavy ppm from the tap? Filtered? RO would cause problems in inert media like light warrior....

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

I can't comment on using OSA28 on seedlings, likewise the other additives because I simply haven't the experience to comment. I guess just because I tend toward minimal inputs until plants are established, I just don't add anything really. Lately I've just been using roots organic for seeds, all but the most sensitive genetics respond great to it. I like the Dragonfly Earth Medicine Lush Roots product, but haven't yet tried it on seedlings.

If your roots aren't growing that suggest media and/or water issues. How's your water? Heavy ppm from the tap? Filtered? RO would cause problems in inert media like light warrior....
no i use tap ran thru a boogie blue filter but then started thinking maybe some kind of bad bacteria was growing in the filter and switched to tap water left out for 48hrs to be sure....ppms out of tap is under 40 last i checked not to long ago...i have and have also used all the DEM products....Everything i have tried has always given me huge plants that i usually have a hard time containg their growth....its like just one day it all changed and it is so beyond frustrating@@

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

which roots organic soil are you using? the reg potting soil? on amazon ppl commented on how they feel its a hot mix but then again they say a lot of shit

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
which roots organic soil are you using? the reg potting soil? on amazon ppl commented on how they feel its a hot mix but then again they say a lot of shit
roots original. I've had great results, if you're concerned go 50/50 with light warrior. Biggest annoyance with that soil is prevalence of fungus gnat larvae, which is pretty easy to deal with but still annoying

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

roots original. I've had great results, if you're concerned go 50/50 with light warrior. Biggest annoyance with that soil is prevalence of fungus gnat larvae, which is pretty easy to deal with but still annoying
your saying the RO soil has fngus gnat issues?

Toaster79

Toaster79

For seedlings you should keep your rH much higher, more like >70%.

If I understand this right, your seedlings are dying only in your new tent, but they didn't in your old one, right? Did you try starting some of them in your old tent, nevermind the light cycle? I'm thinking that the material of your new tent could be gassing off some fumes and that's what's killing your babies.

Also those cups look way too dry for plants in this stage. You'll hardly overwater seedlings

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Those seedlings are starving.
You need to feed them.
Best of luck.
Peace
ive tried feeding but the just dont have any roots to take anything up and the soil just stays weet and turns them yellow

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

For seedlings you should keep your rH much higher, more like >70%.

If I understand this right, your seedlings are dying only in your new tent, but they didn't in your old one, right? Did you try starting some of them in your old tent, nevermind the light cycle? I'm thinking that the material of your new tent could be gassing off some fumes and that's what's killing your babies.

Also those cups look way too dry for plants in this stage. You'll hardly overwater seedlings
No this problem is happening EVERYWHERE noww except outside my house....I have tried to keep a few solos of seedlings under a dome with a higher RH but nothing, i get that the might like a high rh but you should easily be able to raise canna seedlings with anything higher then 20-25 without issue...it might not be optimal but nothing like what is happening here

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Oh and I guess I should add....I got some very preasious cuts sent to me and after rooting them in my cloner to where they had nice long thick fishbone roots, i put them in soil under my light and they all just died out??????

Latest posts

Top Bottom