Such low temperatures?

• Thread starter Foutwenty71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I'm on this site to learn just like most other people. I've also been growing many plants not just weed for as long as my children have been alive and my oldest one just turned 28. And I'm still learning... My question is so many people are recommending such low temps to grow, and in my observation which is extensive says otherwise. Plants that are adequately watered ,not ill in any sort ,seemed to grow best in the middle if not upper 80s even low 90s for short durations seems to be beneficial even for pot. Not just my peppers tomatoes and pumpkins.Having said that the climate where I live is cold until about June and then it can be sweltering hot for 3 months with stretches in the middle 90s and high humidity that's when the stuff really grows the best outdoors.. if the soil is right and it's adequately watered you can almost watch it ( Mary Jane) grow you can literally watch a pumpkin grow... Until this year I never even knew which strain of pot I was growing I'm currently working with super silver haze originally from mr. Nice and it seems to really like the middle 80s...you spend enough time with your plants you start to know when they're feeling good or not before they even show it..trust me thanks to flu I have spent a lot of time with my little ladies blowing pot rings of smoke in their direction, which I'm sure they benefit from the CO2... In fact I swear you can almost see them respond in the warm humid greenhouse to the CO2 in your breath.... Yes I'm bored...lol... So let me hear the pros and cons of the temperature thing from people that know... Because I know some of the strains of pot that are growing out there come from hot arid regions and many of them are hybrids with multiple strains inside of them taking on the characteristics of more than one strain of pot

threatco

threatco

I'm on this site to learn just like most other people. I've also been growing many plants not just weed for as long as my children have been alive and my oldest one just turned 28. And I'm still learning... My question is so many people are recommending such low temps to grow, and in my observation which is extensive says otherwise. Plants that are adequately watered ,not ill in any sort ,seemed to grow best in the middle if not upper 80s even low 90s for short durations seems to be beneficial even for pot. Not just my peppers tomatoes and pumpkins.Having said that the climate where I live is cold until about June and then it can be sweltering hot for 3 months with stretches in the middle 90s and high humidity that's when the stuff really grows the best outdoors.. if the soil is right and it's adequately watered you can almost watch it ( Mary Jane) grow you can literally watch a pumpkin grow... Until this year I never even knew which strain of pot I was growing I'm currently working with super silver haze originally from mr. Nice and it seems to really like the middle 80s...you spend enough time with your plants you start to know when they're feeling good or not before they even show it..trust me thanks to flu I have spent a lot of time with my little ladies blowing pot rings of smoke in their direction, which I'm sure they benefit from the CO2... In fact I swear you can almost see them respond in the warm humid greenhouse to the CO2 in your breath.... Yes I'm bored...lol... So let me hear the pros and cons of the temperature thing from people that know... Because I know some of the strains of pot that are growing out there come from hot arid regions and many of them are hybrids with multiple strains inside of them taking on the characteristics of more than one strain of pot

My view is higher temp helps absorb more CO2. But unless you add CO2 to the room then you won't photosynthesize any faster in cannabis by cranking up temps.

The argument for low temp I feel comes down more to cannabinoid and terpene production. Trigger the mechanism that produces the product we want. Not just flower mass.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

My view is higher temp helps absorb more CO2. But unless you add CO2 to the room then you won't photosynthesize any faster in cannabis by cranking up temps.

The argument for low temp I feel comes down more to cannabinoid and terpene production. Trigger the mechanism that produces the product we want. Not just flower mass.
That's a good answer and does make sense because it's long been known that two things that degrade THC are heat and light.. but general consensus is around the world that Humboldt county has the one of the best climate to grow weed.. having my roots going back to Humboldt county I know it very well..a couple miles from the coastline is cool not a lot of weed is growing there except in small amounts... Really easy to get busted plus the fog layer it comes in off of Humboldt Bay keeps it cool .most of the big growing operations are inland where is extremely hot and dry during the growing season.. although I will say that harvest time is very mild temperature they can easily drop below freezing at night in the upper elevations anytime pass September out there,yet some of the best weed on the planet has come from that region. I seen some major bust out there in the middle 1980s when Nancy Reagan had her little war on drugs that stuff was growing in the middle 90s on a daily basis....oh man you should have seen the truck loads they would haul out of those sites.Anyway I just thought I would throw that out there... Everybody has a little piece of information to pass along

threatco

threatco

That's a good answer and does make sense because it's long been known that two things that degrade THC are heat and light.. but general consensus is around the world that Humboldt county has the one of the best climate to grow weed.. having my roots going back to Humboldt county I know it very well..a couple miles from the coastline is cool not a lot of weed is growing there except in small amounts... Really easy to get busted plus the fog layer it comes in off of Humboldt Bay keeps it cool .most of the big growing operations are inland where is extremely hot and dry during the growing season.. although I will say that harvest time is very mild temperature they can easily drop below freezing at night in the upper elevations anytime pass September out there,yet some of the best weed on the planet has come from that region. I seen some major bust out there in the middle 1980s when Nancy Reagan had her little war on drugs that stuff was growing in the middle 90s on a daily basis....oh man you should have seen the truck loads they would haul out of those sites.Anyway I just thought I would throw that out there... Everybody has a little piece of information to pass along

That is cool to hear.

My personal experience is focused on indoor growing on a small scale.

I assume temperature is a whole other ball game outside. Having pest and disease concerns, I assume colder helps prevent those things.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Glad you started this thread. My temps have been strange but plants seem to be thriving. My lights on temps run 75-78 and my lights off temps run 79-82. With a RH ranging from 40-60%. Not sure if this has any affect on the flowers as it’s my first grow but the plants are taking to it well. Currently in first week of flowering.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

That is cool to hear.

My personal experience is focused on indoor growing on a small scale.

I assume temperature is a whole other ball game outside. Having pest and disease concerns, I assume colder helps prevent those things.
I'm just learning how to grow indoors.. all the kids are moved out sweetie pie has nothing to bitch I'm out now.. accept the fact it's not totally legal yet... Aphids mites and the dreaded corn borer worm are no joke they can wreck your crop especially the bore worms nothing gets rid of them that I know of yet,- cutting the affected part of the plant off which is usually your best cola 2/3 up the stock

threatco

threatco

I'm just learning how to grow indoors.. all the kids are moved out sweetie pie has nothing to bitch I'm out now.. accept the fact it's not totally legal yet... Aphids mites and the dreaded corn borer worm are no joke they can wreck your crop especially the bore worms nothing gets rid of them that I know of yet,- cutting the affected part of the plant off which is usually your best cola 2/3 up the stock

Love not having to worry about that indoors. Taking mother nature out of the mix simplifies so much.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Glad you started this thread. My temps have been strange but plants seem to be thriving. My lights on temps run 75-78 and my lights off temps run 79-82. With a RH ranging from 40-60%. Not sure if this has any affect on the flowers as it’s my first grow but the plants are taking to it well. Currently in first week of flowering.
There's some guys on here that really know their stuff sooner or later, hopefully they'll jump in. Threatco gave a real solid answer but I'm sure there's more

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
There's some guys on here that really know their stuff sooner or later, hopefully they'll jump in. Threatco gave a real solid answer but I'm sure there's more
I’ve heard some other stuff from other people as well about it. I know it’s supposed to shorten the node spacing. Here’s something I read on high times.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey foutwenty , when i grow outside its 90 or even higher , at first i thought it was not going to work , but it does work and its just fine , some super hot days i position them in difused light .....

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Hey foutwenty , when i grow outside its 90 or even higher , at first i thought it was not going to work , but it does work and its just fine , some super hot days i position them in difused light .....
Yeah I've seen my plants not like the heat when it got above 90 on strong UV days.. but only on those days that the UV is not blocked by whatever reason are greenhouse gases I'm not sure.. some days a guy can get burned really easy and other days he can be out in the sun all day with little to no burn, in my mind I'm sure it's the same with plants.... But then again I've been a flooring installer for 27 years... So I have very little sanity and know better than to trust my mind LOL 😉

elPannocia

elPannocia

Hei Foutwenty71, Super Silver Haze is one of my favorites, real powerful and trippy high capable of bringing back LSD flashbacks hehe.

In my experience the major factor influencing plants growth in hot environments are the genetics. You have to go back and think where these plants would grow in nature. The majority come from subtropical and tropical areas, think about India, South East Asia, Africa. This are plants well adapted to hot environments and strong light with substantial UVs.

To give you an example Carmagnola is an Italian gigantic hamp variety, we plant in march and by june/july the plants are 2/3 meter-high and they don’t need irrigation cause they have deep roots. In summer temps easily stay around 90° even up to 100°F, plants thrive without problems and in September you can get some specimens that measure 5-6 meters.

On the other hand, I noticed especially with plants with genetics coming from northern latitudes like autos, Dutch and Oregon genetics they don’t like it so hot. This might be due to both the genetic background and the selection that was performed.

Also today a lot of people like to keep cool temps indoor to bring out the colors and breeders do that as well, selecting plants that perform better in mild temps.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The real answer to temps is not the ambient temperature.... It's the leaf temperature. There are a lot of variables that influence this and that's why you see ppl having such varying results. Humidity, light spectrum, intensity (indirectly), air flow, transpiration rates. All have a huge affect on leaf temperature.

In almost all studies they are referring to leaf temps but for some reason many interpret these as ambient temps and that's not the case.

Outdoor we have no real control over this but indoor you can easily see the difference and many issues are related to the factors that influence leafs temps.

I did a write up on VPD here somewhere that explains some of this based on transpiration rates. Then add in forced evaporation, IR spectrum, CO2 concentrations and a few others and it's impossible to give someone an ideal room temperature that fits all.

The simplicity of using an IR temp gun to check leaf temps takes all the guess work out if it. A cheap under rated and under utilized tool imo.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I should have added as was said above... Genetics, the size (surface area) and shape of leaves also play a big role. Sativas are naturally more well suited to warmer climates.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I should have added as was said above... Genetics, the size (surface area) and shape of leaves also play a big role. Sativas are naturally more well suited to warmer climates.
thank you .hit the nail on the head with the surface temperature I'm pretty sure. It doesn't even have to be a super hot day just a bright sunny day in the upper 70s and you can go stick your hands into dark soil and that soil temp will be well over a hundred degrees, I've never actually checked the temp but I know it's well over a hundred degrees just for obvious reasons our body temp it's over 90 assuming the hands are much cooler than core body temp but the soil is still hot to the touch you just don't get that with artificial lighting as much unless you concentrated on a spot in the soil because of lack of (penetrating) infrared heat. Having said that and all the reading I've done this winter I've read a couple of reports that state that higher temperatures when using LED lighting seem to be beneficial if that helps anyone out. I've seen numerous postings on this site about people having problems with over-watering and some of them actually without really knowing for sure seem to be more temperature related than to over-watering I just haven't stated that because I'm a rookie compared to some of you guys and babes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

thank you .hit the nail on the head with the surface temperature I'm pretty sure. It doesn't even have to be a super hot day just a bright sunny day in the upper 70s and you can go stick your hands into dark soil and that soil temp will be well over a hundred degrees, I've never actually checked the temp but I know it's well over a hundred degrees just for obvious reasons our body temp it's over 90 assuming the hands are much cooler than core body temp but the soil is still hot to the touch you just don't get that with artificial lighting as much unless you concentrated on a spot in the soil because of lack of (penetrating) infrared heat. Having said that and all the reading I've done this winter I've read a couple of reports that state that higher temperatures when using LED lighting seem to be beneficial if that helps anyone out. I've seen numerous postings on this site about people having problems with over-watering and some of them actually without really knowing for sure seem to be more temperature related than to over-watering I just haven't stated that because I'm a rookie compared to some of you guys and babes
I agree cool root zones make for poor nutrient uptake. Why I run my hydro low to mid 70's and it makes a difference. You just need to be aware that when something goes wrong it goes wrong faster with higher temps... But so does growth.

It's kinda funny you brought this up. I don't feel dirt guys pay enough attention to root zone temps. I mean it's not as easy to change but keeping plants off the floor is a big benefit for that reason.

Cool wet root zones I can say I have seen it also is responsible for a lot of these threads you see where growth is slow. I mean there are lots of variables but I don't think that one gets enough attention

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Hei Foutwenty71, Super Silver Haze is one of my favorites, real powerful and trippy high capable of bringing back LSD flashbacks hehe.

In my experience the major factor influencing plants growth in hot environments are the genetics. You have to go back and think where these plants would grow in nature. The majority come from subtropical and tropical areas, think about India, South East Asia, Africa. This are plants well adapted to hot environments and strong light with substantial UVs.

To give you an example Carmagnola is an Italian gigantic hamp variety, we plant in march and by june/july the plants are 2/3 meter-high and they don’t need irrigation cause they have deep roots. In summer temps easily stay around 90° even up to 100°F, plants thrive without problems and in September you can get some specimens that measure 5-6 meters.

On the other hand, I noticed especially with plants with genetics coming from northern latitudes like autos, Dutch and Oregon genetics they don’t like it so hot. This might be due to both the genetic background and the selection that was performed.

Also today a lot of people like to keep cool temps indoor to bring out the colors and breeders do that as well, selecting plants that perform better in mild temps.
I agree cool root zones make for poor nutrient uptake. Why I run my hydro low to mid 70's and it makes a difference. You just need to be aware that when something goes wrong it goes wrong faster with higher temps... But so does growth.

It's kinda funny you brought this up. I don't feel dirt guys pay enough attention to root zone temps. I mean it's not as easy to change but keeping plants off the floor is a big benefit for that reason.

Cool wet root zones I can say I have seen it also is responsible for a lot of these threads you see where growth is slow. I mean there are lots of variables but I don't think that one gets enough attention
Temperature is everything up here in MiniSnota.. even Alaskan snow pea pods grow slow without a little heat. Soil temp is nearly as important is ambient air temp for many plants. I helped myself out a lot growing indoors by setting my 1 and 2 gallon pots on seed heating mats and keeping them on twenty-four hours a day. I know my pot size it's kind of small but I have to keep my smokeables mobile where I live. There's a couple of DNR officers that creep around that are almost as stealthy in the woods as I am... Almost LOL 😆.. I still have my man pride .. not to mention the animals that I have roaming the woods both big and small

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Thanks for the intelligent answer Man I agree with everything you said 100% which is why I asked the question that I asked, why such low temps?.... Everybody has a little information to pass on... Maybe we'd end up creating the next Kevin Jordy on this site LOL.... That man might ramble a lot ,BUT DAMN he is intelligent about his craft

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Finally!!! The sun came out even though it's only 51 degrees that translates to 85 or higher in the greenhouse so all the plants just got moved out of my grow room downstairs outside... Not a day too soon the last cold snap was hard on everything including my 5 year old asparagus patch. I included a picture of the asparagus patch just to warn guys up in the northern climates it's still too early to plant anyting that likes warm weather...about to put a gas bomb into a gopher hole that just popped up in my asparagus patch as well
IMG 20200511 113212103 HDR
IMG 20200511 113306440
IMG 20200511 113201976 HDR
IMG 20200511 113207723 HDR
IMG 20200511 113521030
IMG 20200511 113510399
IMG 20200511 113514726

Top Bottom