Suddenly Allergic to my F12 breeding project...anyone had this happen?

• Thread starter mrcrispy13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

Background: In 1996 I ordered seeds from Marc Emery in Canada. One strain - his 'Blue Afghani Hash plant' - has been producing HUGE harvests for me ever since.
I have back-crossed it with itself every few years since then. I'd guess if it was F4 when I bought it, it must be F12 by now. It grows a huge but short, dense bush that takes very little effort, does fine indoors or out, and produces huge amounts of trichomes. A true hash plant...my favorite to make extractions.

The last two times I have grown it became undeniable that I have developed a strong allergy to this strain when it is flowering. When trimming the plant if I dont wear elbow length gloves I break out all over my arms and hands. When I break up the cured buds it sends me into sneezing fits. I know it's strain specific because I grow almost every year and usually have 4-5 strains each year. No other strain has EVER caused me to show allergy symptoms!

So my questions are:

1) Have you ever run into a strain that single handedly causes an almost instant allergic reaction? What ones if so?
2) What strain can I breed with this gem to move away from it being so reactive? A weak landrace maybe?
3) Should I consider such a reactive strain (even though I can hardly grow it anymore) to be significant medicinal genetics? Is so how do I get it to a researcher?

Curious what others think about acquiring an allergy to a *specific* strain.
Thanks

MrCrispy13

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It is not exactly an allergic reaction. It is a histamine reaction. You have a high histamine response. That is not unusual, many people have it.
Just wear gloves. If your chest tightens and your breathing gets difficult when smoking or eating it, then you are allergic to it.

I am not a medical doctor but this is what they have told me.

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

It is not exactly an allergic reaction. It is a histamine reaction. You have a high histamine response. That is not unusual, many people have it.
Just wear gloves. If your chest tightens and your breathing gets difficult when smoking or eating it, then you are allergic to it.

I am not a medical doctor but this is what they have told me.

A good point about histamines being different than allergies!
I am more interested in what made it suddenly change when no other plants are causing the same, some quite strong. I totally get that my own exposure and system may be the source of MY reaction, but what I want to understand is what makes this ONE strain stand out from all the rest WRT my reaction.

Thoughts?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

A good point about histamines being different than allergies!
I am more interested in what made it suddenly change when no other plants are causing the same, some quite strong. I totally get that my own exposure and system may be the source of MY reaction, but what I want to understand is what makes this ONE strain stand out from all the rest WRT my reaction.

Thoughts?
Ummm... The histamine count in the trichs would be a good guess. Most likely you have introduced a higher than normal histamine level in your breeding program. I would begin tracing my crosses back to before it turned excessive and then work to minimize it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Diet has a huge impact. Your liver controls a lot of your allergic response
Yes. Also changes in weather change the viscosity of your blood and it's capacity to carry allergens or histamines throughout the body.

Reactions: HWH
Top Bottom