Sulphered Molasses Question.

• Thread starter BuDGooDE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Hi folks. I have just acquired some agricultural grade molasses and was told that animal grade molasses is un-sulphered. As it happens after a little research the one i got does contain sulpher :_( DAMN !!! what damage can it do and what should i do to prevent it. Many thanks BuD.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Do you have living soil? Don't think it will be a big deal either way, just a small amount of sulfur dioxide. Can't you get regular black-strap unsulphured at the grocery aisle?

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Do you have living soil? Don't think it will be a big deal either way, just a small amount of sulfur dioxide. Can't you get regular black-strap unsulphured at the grocery aisle?
phew hope so lol got me panicking. Will get some from health food shop or somewhere. Would'nt mind but the pet supplies store only had it in gallons ha ha :-) Thanks for reply @Homesteader.

G gnome

G gnome

I started a thread about this a while ago....i had the same question. U can buy feed topper molasses from the feed store for like $8 for 2 1/2 gal...never had the balls to try it tho....
I just use earth juice brand....grocery store molasses gets expensive

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

I started a thread about this a while ago....i had the same question. U can buy feed topper molasses from the feed store for like $8 for 2 1/2 gal...never had the balls to try it tho....
I just use earth juice brand....grocery store molasses gets expensive
Its definitely expensive G. The jars ive seen for £2,99 are not very large :-( Is the Earth Juice brand quite cheap ?

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Hi folks. I have just acquired some agricultural grade molasses and was told that animal grade molasses is un-sulphered. As it happens after a little research the one i got does contain sulpher :_( DAMN !!! what damage can it do and what should i do to prevent it. Many thanks BuD.

Believe it or not you could use them on skin injuries.

The mollases would act as a skin protectant, and the sulphur will kill bacteria and viruses on the skin and prevent inflammation.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Believe it or not you could use them on skin injuries.

The mollases would act as a skin protectant, and the sulphur will kill bacteria and viruses on the skin and prevent inflammation.
Ha Ha sounds great @Two.Bears :-) just watch out for wasps, bees and ants lol. Sorry just had a funny thought of someone covered in Molasses being swarmed lol.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Here is a list of ingredients in the Molasses i already have. Sulpher does seem quite low.
Each kg contains: Protein 10.06% Ash 12.12% Fibre 0.2% Oil 0% Moisture 35.7% Calcium 0.58-1.1% Phosphorus P 0.05-0.11% Potassium 2.7-4% Sulphur 0.46% Zinc 0-15mg/kg

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Feed store molasses is the stuff you want - anything from a hydro shop (hi brix, black strap, etc) is usually watered down so it mixes into a res properly, then preserved with either citric or phosphoric acid which will harm microfauna in your media/tea brew.

Things in grocery stores are pasturized and often contain preservatives as well, not to mention it's expensive as fuck.

Feed store molasses is minimally processed and 100% what you should be using.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Feed store molasses is the stuff you want - anything from a hydro shop (hi brix, black strap, etc) is usually watered down so it mixes into a res properly, then preserved with either citric or phosphoric acid which will harm microfauna in your media/tea brew.

Things in grocery stores are pasturized and often contain preservatives as well, not to mention it's expensive as fuck.

Okay Thanks @We Solidarity :) So is the stuff im using okay, with 0.46 % sulpher ? Its definitely animal feed grade.

Last edited:
G gnome

G gnome

Good lookin out. Maybe ill finally try it

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

you'll love it - just make sure to mix into warm water before adding to the res. The stuff makes insane teas - def my best results with feed grade.
It definitely looks and smells the biz :-) I have been adding warm water first, just does'nt mix properly otherwise does it ? I've used it last 3 feedings and alls looking good. However i am thinking of watering it in seperately as it seems to drop the ph in nutes quite a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom