SUPER MITES!! When FLORAMITE wont work...

• Thread starter COCOLOCO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

What will kill mites that FLORAMITE wont?
tsp/qt of Floramite did NOTHING!!! Thats 4x!! Never seen anything like it...Thinkin Avid, or a combo? Anyone use Hexagon or any other ideas? Need something atomic :mad0233:stronger than Floramite..

:rauch08:

opt1c

opt1c

what sorta plant in what stage?

if u r just trying to kill em and money is no object... garbage can... full plant dunk
floramite should work but u can alternate with avid

also after the dunk water in merit75wp with the next feeding

also try using floramite at the correct rate; 2.5ml/gal strong... 20ml/gal could mess with how it works as a spray in water etc... don't spray till runoff... u want the spray to stay on the plants... but seriously... a dunk works wonders

a site called rosemania has every mite killing product u could ever want; i figure they are ALL safe to use on moms... anyone who thinks otherwise better be a plant scientist if they want to argue that with me... some stuff is newer than avid/floramite and they got it.... floramite was approved for use on tomatoes fwiw

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Yes Avid is what is needed. I use Floramite, Shuttle, and Avid for mites on a rotation. You need to also bomb your room. If you cannot get the Pyrithium bug bombs, for some reason you cant anymore in some states, you need to get a fogger or a pump sprayer and clean your grow room really well. Also you need to spray your hoods, fans, walls, basically your whole room.
Another thing mites WILL build a tollerance to whatever you are spraying them with to combat them. that is why it is best to use a rotation of Avid, Floramite and Shuttle to kill them for good. I use all 3. Every 2 weeks I use one of the miticides and another 2 weeks another and so on up untill the 2nd week of flower.

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Bummer of the Borg. The introduction of Avid should give those scalywags a run for their money.

I'm running for the hills like a Turkey with its head cut off next time I spot 'em.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Avid did it for me, Forbid 4b FINALLY did it for my son (he's in SoCal), single treatment with Avid did me, single treatment with Forbid did it for him. He's been battling mites pretty hard.

He also told me of another trick he's using right now. Check it, pretty clever even if I am his momma.
Sea's Son said:
side note: i discovered a phychological problem with the mites. 1st u stake each plant with wooden GREEN bamboo, then u put the fans on full blast towards the plants(without giving them wind burn but enough so the leaves r flappin all over the place) wait a day or 2. all the mites will find the bamboo to be the most sturdiest part of the plant, thinking its the plant, ALL of them as soon as they hatch climb to the top of the bamboo to wait out the wind. u will find NO webbing or mites on the plants an there will be a huge gathering of them on the very top tip of the bamboo. at that point i jus from bottom to top wipe them off with a poison soaked paper towel, repeat for 5 days. eventually less an less mites show up at the top of the bamboo till eventually they were gone.

H

hydro2u

An issue for many growers coming up against "Super Mites" is time of application and changing out of Miticides. Next time try utilizing less invasive methods such as oils (REEM/DAMOIL) or even predatory mites that will eat the spider mites (available from Syngenta/Biosa) early in the growth cycle. If that does not do the trick you must apply Avid/Floramite/Fiorbid no more than once during the plant cycle. I would switch them out on a 3-4 week bases. If you do not do this the mites will become immune to the Floramite/Avid/Forbid and get their "Super Mite" stripes!! Please follow the instruction for any miticide to the "T". All the best.

Dynamite

Dynamite

~

Avid
Hexagon
Stirrup M

a triple threat no mite can survive ,but it's like a NUKE

really though ~ just rotate to avid instead of floromite and use some DM penetrator ,you problems will be solved

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Right Plant, Wrong Answer

Avid
Hexagon
Stirrup M

a triple threat no mite can survive ,but it's like a NUKE

really though, just rotate to avid instead of floromite and use some DM penetrator ,you problems will be solved

All problems will be solved except for the ones caused by the Avid when people burn that Herb/ Medicine.

Mites are bad news, but not nearly as bad as what is commonly used by growers to erradicate them.

Try IPM (Integrated Pest Mangement) style....rotating the use of Azatrol/Azamax......Nitrozime/Algen/Maxicrop......Pyganic (Organic Pyrethrin, Commercial Strength).

Once you get control of the infestation follow up with predatory mites introduced twice a month while continuing to apply the Nitrozime/Algen/Maxicrop. Ascophyllum Nodosum is proven to inhibit the colonization of spider mites, while not affecting the predators.

Also keep in mind that it's often your plant canopy, or leaf temps being too high (speeds up mite metabolism) that perpetuate the problem....dial this in and you'll see any controls you choose to use work much better.

Dynamite

Dynamite

Only use that mix on budding plants , if your plants are in veg there is NO hope ... but once they are DEEEEP into flower ,say 6 weeks or so ,that's when you want to apply those chemicals I suggested , but that's ONLY if floromite didn't work for you threw the whole flowering cycle 4 times weekly till harvest

during the drying process , I always find that a choice time to use the NUKE TRIPLE chems , make sure all those pesky mites are dead before you pass about your medical marijuana!!

:bug:bug:bug:bug:bug:bug:bug

:hunter:

edit : almost forgot ,while you at it ,when your buds are curing spray them all down with Eagle 20ew ,great product - enhances flavor and makes all weed smell and taste like Chemdog D !! love that diesel aroma on my meds !!

:cool0019:

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Only use that mix on budding plants , if your plants are in veg there is NO hope ... but once they are DEEEEP into flower ,say 6 weeks or so ,that's when you want to apply those chemicals I suggested , but that's ONLY if floromite didn't work for you threw the whole flowering cycle 4 times weekly till harvest

during the drying process , I always find that a choice time to use the NUKE TRIPLE chems , make sure all those pesky mites are dead before you pass about your medical marijuana!!

edit : almost forgot ,while you at it ,when your buds are curing spray them all down with Eagle 20ew ,great product - enhances flavor and makes all weed smell and taste like Chemdog D !! love that diesel aroma on my meds !!

Oh Dyna, not suggesting you're recommending wack shit like that, just chiming in....I do appreciate good sarcasm when I see it. :)

Though even when Avid is used early in the plant cycle that shit can persist for a long while systemically within the plant tissue.

At very least as growers we need not be exposing ourselves to that evil shit.....just my opinion though.

S

smoke1sun

I turned off my ventilation and placed a no pest strip in my room for 3 days, got rid om my mites, and gnats.

Then I found this and would use this if I were in flower.

THIS IS NOT MY INFO FOUND ON ANOTHER SITE: NOT SURE WHO THE ORIGINAL POST WAS THE NAME WAS GUEST.

"
So far one formula has come out ahead and there are some instruction changes:

1/4 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 drops dish detergent
1/4 Teaspoon Epsom Salts

Take a cup of very hot water and desolve the epsom salts,take rest of ingredients and place in a clean 2 liter bottle and let work out. Add epsom solution. Add water to fill to 48ozs(3/4 full).Shake well.

TO USE: Cover soil/medium with plastic,with lights off mist plant all over,especialy under leaves,
Wait 20 mins,then spritz off with clean fresh water shaking as much water off plant as you can.
The fresh water spritz rinse will remove the solution along with the desolved remains of the mites and their eggs.

Have fun with your new "Mite Eradicator"

Note by MrFixit: Water plants 1/2 hour before spraying. This will help keep your plants from absorbing the spray.

This solution has been tested and used as directed will not burn plants,the rinse is very important though as it removes the spent solution before it can concentrate and burn the plant. It also removes most of the dead mites and eggs so you don't end up smoking them.

The formula can be diluted further,to 1 liter and it will still kill the mites but isn't as effective at dissolving and removing the mite parts.
Since removing the mite debris is desirable,I recommend the stronger solution,just remember to rinse and shake.
This formula is alkaline(about 7.8-8) so please remember to rinse.

Mite irradication is absolutely assured and guaranteed if used as directed.
I've never seen ANYTHING work this well for mite irradication!!
I used to gas my booths for mites,it worked but they came back,I haven't seen a living mite in a long time now.They haven't come back,partly because of cooler weather,partly because I hosed the Roses that were infecting everything with the formula and wiped out all the mites during testing.
The only thing I wish I'd done different is,I wish I would have done sections of the Roses and preserved
some of the mites for later tests.I've had to go searching for victims to test it on and there just aren't any left!! I did find some victims for my final tests in the park where we have meetings,the plants by the river are pretty sickly and infested(were I should say,I walked around with ONE pint bottle and cleaned up most of the area.LOL)
If news of this formula were to become widespread,mites would become an endangered species!!!So GOOD HUNTING !
Seasider"

"PM'd BankRobber and he told me to post this:
I have been experimenting with similar formulas, so far 2 work.
Trial #1: 1/2 cup baking soda , 1 cup vinegar , 1/2 cup apple juice. Dilute to 2 liters.

Trial #2 1/2 cup baking soda , 1 cup vinegar , 3 tablespoons lemon juice , 2 drops dish soap .
Dilute to 40 fluid oz's.

I've tried this on: Wandering Jew,Spider Plant,Fushias,Gladiolis,Roses, Sweet Elysium,Clovers,Daisy,
Rhodadendron, Lawn(grass)
So far it works,both formulas. #2 works best outside and best overall
It has killed any small insects I've tried it on except FLEAS(Darn it!)
So far its killed mites,thrips(Adult),aphids,clo ver mites, whatever mite type insects that were all over the Gladiolis and it sickened and effected Grass Gnats and mosquitoes.(the mist knocked them down,couldn't find them in the grass to watch if they died but they were having difficulty flying)
I'm waiting for long term effects on the plants I've sprayed,before I'll try it on my plants.
Try mixing up some and try it outside on whatever you can find with an infestation.
The original recipe from a Landscape gardener was: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup vinegar,2cups apple peels.
Blend/Puree , filter , dilute to 2 liters. I haven't tried this one yet (no apple peels).
The trick seems to be 1/2 cup Baking soda to 1 cup vinegar,diluted to approximately 2 liters.
The dishsoap helps wetting & the juices boost effect. #2 seems to help with molds/fungus also.It reduced blackspot on Roses,Gladiolis and Rhodi's and white mold on Roses.( The coast is a perfect proving ground for this stuff!!! We have ALL the bugs and molds !!! I don't have to go far to find infestations of all kinds.)
Seasider"

"REPORT:
For 2 days I have hosed my backyard with this stuff,so far it has reduced blackspot & powdery mildew(white mold),killed all the small insects(size seems to matter on kill,gnats or smaller).
The only plants adversely affected so far are FERNS (they don't like it much,wilted some).
The fleas seem unaffected as are the garden spiders,wood lice,beetles and other large hard insects.
I'm using it far more than necessary to see if it hurts the plants. Repeating doses even after the bugs are dead. The gladiolis were REALY bad with blackspot mold and some kind of black sucker insects about the size of a pinhead.The Glads are doing fine both mold and insects gone! The wandering jew and spider plants are actualy perking up from it.The clover mites? WIPED OUT! Rose mites? WIPED OUT! Grass gnats and mosquitoes? VASTLY REDUCED! Scale insects? DEAD! Aphids?DEAD![THE GARDEN??? (smells like a "Caeser Salad" ! ) ALIVE.]
Seasider "

"Hey Everyone,

I think Seasider is onto something and that's it so cool to see people taking action and experimenting with organic ingredients!
I'm certainly going to try his formula!
It cost me over $300 to manufacture what I came up with, and that dose not include all the labor and the over two weeks it take to complete each batch!
Seasider's stuff is a fraction of the cost, and I can't see any adverse reactions from the ingredients mentioned.
Except for invertebrates "the soap" would kill them, but then we don't need it in our fish tank now do we?

A key test will be to see if any eggs rehatch or if the plants are reinvested, however respraying with an inexpensive home made product may be worth it to so many!
I say GREAT job & keep up the good fight!

Please keep us informed of your test. and results!

BankRobber!"

"Report:
There seems to be some mild burning where the solution was left on and collected/concentrated.
I would recommend using the 2 liter dilution and spritzing with fresh water afterward and shaking off as much as possible so the formula doesn't collect and concentrate itself to the point it burns tender leaves.
I didn't notice any damage except where it had concentrated and dried,so spritzing and shaking off should do the trick.As far as effectiveness goes,wow! The death and destruction it deals to mites is impressive !!
Popping browning eggs melting,imploding adults,body parts and debris slowly dissolving......EXTREMELY GRATIFYING !!!
TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT !!
The BORG rule ,of mite terror, is OVER !!!!

WARNING !!
A member had severe burning that he attributes to residues drawn out of the container by the vinegar.
USE A CLEAN CONTAINER !! Do not use realy strong vinegar or any with SULFITES in it.
NO SULFITES"

BOTTOM LINE IS IT WORKS AND THEY DON'T COME B
ACK

L

lowroller

I agree with seemaiden, forbid from rosmania is fantastic!
Our group had been fighting off the nastiest whitefly's on the planet for a long time, one application of forbid as a foliar wiped them completely out in 7 days! egg's and all.

you should seriously look into it, it is made specific for mites and white fly's.
here is the link.
http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

A

amstercal

Seamaiden--I love your son's suggestion. I take it you haven't had a chance to try it yet? The idea of not having to put more junk on the plants is worth looking into, especially since you could use it in conjunction with other treatments.

Also, I love that his screen name is Sea's Son. That is so cute it hurts.

And to anyone, I know you can dunk the plants in Floramite, but is it worth it to/can you dunk them in anything else?

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

what sorta plant in what stage?

if u r just trying to kill em and money is no object... garbage can... full plant dunk
floramite should work but u can alternate with avid

also after the dunk water in merit75wp with the next feeding

also try using floramite at the correct rate; 2.5ml/gal strong... 20ml/gal could mess with how it works as a spray in water etc... don't spray till runoff... u want the spray to stay on the plants... but seriously... a dunk works wonders

a site called rosemania has every mite killing product u could ever want; i figure they are ALL safe to use on moms... anyone who thinks otherwise better be a plant scientist if they want to argue that with me... some stuff is newer than avid/floramite and they got it.... floramite was approved for use on tomatoes fwiw

Thanks for the heads up on the Rosemania, will def have to check it... As for trashcan.. out of the question. Plants are in a vertical undercurrent system 5 ft tall 4 ft across cant even move them... So I need something systemic and potent. Thinkin Avid and or Forbid... As for IPM. Not a fan at all of using potent systemics for IPM. That is what caused this problem in the first place. Place I got the cut from that infected everything used Floramite and who knows what else as IPMs and here we are... My opinion is neems, pyrethium and azatrol/azamax as IPM and keep the systemic miticides as last resorts... Also as far as dosage this rate was worked up to from below recomended rate...

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

DUDE! I appriciate your reply but this has to be the craziest thing ive ever heard.. and ive some shiz...
Let me get this right? You spray you dry buds and late flower plants with Eagle 20 because you like the smell and taste? WHAT? E20 has to be the most toxic smellin shiet ive come across.. Not to mention its a fungicide and has no affect on mites. PM nothin better but just opening the bottle makes me feel sterile... Please dont do this! This is sooo bad.. Seriously bro...

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

I agree with seemaiden, forbid from rosmania is fantastic!
Our group had been fighting off the nastiest whitefly's on the planet for a long time, one application of forbid as a foliar wiped them completely out in 7 days! egg's and all.

you should seriously look into it, it is made specific for mites and white fly's.
here is the link.
http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

Rosemania is great! Now the million dollar question?
Forbid, Avid or Shuttle???? Forbid is also a ovacide..:wondering

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dynamite seems to have a really sick sense of humor. I like it, quite a lot.

If you're really having a problem that's persistent, I might go with the Forbid. But, again, a single application of Avid did it for me, and I am fairly certain my mites were brought in on my son's clothes when he came for a visit.
An issue for many growers coming up against "Super Mites" is time of application and changing out of Miticides. Next time try utilizing less invasive methods such as oils (REEM/DAMOIL) or even predatory mites that will eat the spider mites (available from Syngenta/Biosa) early in the growth cycle. If that does not do the trick you must apply Avid/Floramite/Fiorbid no more than once during the plant cycle. I would switch them out on a 3-4 week bases. If you do not do this the mites will become immune to the Floramite/Avid/Forbid and get their "Super Mite" stripes!! Please follow the instruction for any miticide to the "T". All the best.
Interesting, that's exactly what is not recommended by the manufacturers. They state very clearly to rotate miticides, but not a one says to only use their product once. In fact, of those that I personally have (don't have Forbid, but do have Azatrol) two to three applications are recommended.

Then there's the issue of personal protective gear and whether or not it's being used, as well as reco'd greenhouse worker protocol.
Seamaiden--I love your son's suggestion. I take it you haven't had a chance to try it yet? The idea of not having to put more junk on the plants is worth looking into, especially since you could use it in conjunction with other treatments.

Also, I love that his screen name is Sea's Son. That is so cute it hurts.

And to anyone, I know you can dunk the plants in Floramite, but is it worth it to/can you dunk them in anything else?
:sun
He's not a member of the farm, I just put that so it would come out like any other quote. He goes by Austafarian or something like that elsewhere. No, I have not had the dubious opportunity to try the trick, thank goodness because if I had to battle them as hard as he does, I might have given up altogether.

I am sure that since Azatrol/Azamax can be used as root/soil drenches that they can also be used for a dunk. Forbid 4b, not so sure about, you're not even supposed to be able to get a hold of it in Cali, IIRC.

A

amstercal

So how would you mix the Azamax--how many mls per gal? I tried mixing up the recommended amount for the foliar spray once and felt daunted by how thick it was to actually dunk it.

And Coco--I find you have to read everything here twice because there are too many funny people. There's a whole page on some thread about how taking a dump in your rez is good for the plants. That one was a little more obvious though. :-)

I think you've got a lot of good advice here. The main thing to remember is persistence. Every 3 days hit them with something else... Safers and Neem aren't stronger than Floramite, but they make for a nice addition to the 3 day rotation, IMHO, especially if you have the resistant mites.
And heck, I want to try Seamaiden's son's method just because it doesn't involve poison. However, there's a new product coming out that uses spare parts from cuddly puppies that's supposed to work great. :-)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't remember how I mixed it for soil drench... 10mls/gallon I think.

Lavender extract is being bandied about as a surprising herbal/organic recipe, but I can't remember the technique for making the extract.

Oh... found something.

Take some lavender sprigs.
Strip off the flower buds.
Take about a good handful and put in a gallon of water (putting it through a blender helps).
Let sit for 2-3 days. You want it to smell good still, don't let it sit until it ferments.
Dilute 1:30-1:50 and lightly foliar spray under the leaves as best as possible.
Repeat in 5 days and again in 5 more if needed.

Not only will you be doing pest control, youll be feeding your plants as well. lavender has a TON of helpful chemical compounds, minerals and all kinds of plant specific goodies.

A week later.

Well - the lavender tea is definitely effective in killing mites. No question about that.

I hit the plants in the evening and the tea was still very 'lavender' in smell. I cut it down to about 1/2 of what you (redacted) recommended as a safe zone to work in. By the next morning I pulled a couple of large fan leaves off of the bottom of the plant where the infestation was centered. I counted 12 confirmed dead mites. I put the leaves in a plastic bag and sprayed some water to keep the leaf alive to check for any eggs that might have hatched and as of this morning there is nothing there.

It's worth a try.

X

XxShibbyxX

If all else fails try lady bugs. But not just a few. My buddy had spider mites earlier this season and he went to the local pet shop and got 1500 lady bugs for like 8 bucks. He built a cardboard box that fit around the infected plant and then released all 1500 ladybugs into the box.

Needless to say a few hours later his plants looked better lol

Top Bottom