Super size it?

• Thread starter OregonMeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OregonMeds

Any of the pro's on here want to collaborate on an outdoor supersized version based on dd's work? Maybe something that vegges in 5 gallons and drops in a 55 gallon drum?

How about getting away from the expense of that air pump and trouble of stones etc all together and taking waterfalls to the next level...

We could use a manifold inside the drums which directs water to the inside of the root ball as well as bottom and sides top fed with basically spray injection as found on a beckett skimmer.

Should work, spray injection is the most efficient method of aeration requiring the least pump power/least heat from everything I've read it should raise the bar while lowering the cost.

How would you control the water temp outside even still? Aside from bury the drum...

Patent pending all rights reserved so forth and so on.

Your thoughts?

R

REGISTRD

55 gal drum MONSTERS... DUDE theyd be like 20/30 ft tall with 10 plus lbs...

O

OregonMeds

I'm not so sure they'd be that impressive really compared to what the same system could do with 1500w hps's in a perfect environment. At least where I live...

M

MedicalINFO

I have thought about this for a few months now. I just figured that they would use way too much water and nutes... I would estemate about 40 - 50 gallons per plant per day?

M

MIZZ ELVIS

I've had single plant yields in excess of 1 and a 1/4 pounds in five gallon containers outdoors, so registrd's calculation is quite logical IMO.... they didn't reach 20-30ft, but I did tie em down and train the sideways shit out of em....

O

OregonMeds

So you can picture the bubbles being made this way rather than with an air pump/stones:
[Youtube]aCStES91WhY[/Youtube]

O

OregonMeds

I've had single plant yields in excess of 1 and a 1/4 pounds in five gallon containers outdoors, so registrd's calculation is quite logical IMO.... they didn't reach 20-30ft, but I did tie em down and train the sideways shit out of em....

Yes tying them down isn't an option over here it''ll be a requirement or it won't last too long if it shows up advertising itself over the top of the house.

I am not going to expect such things even still, lets just see if this works at all first shall we?

O

OregonMeds

I am willing to take this elsewhere btw, not trying to steal anyones spotlight or step on toes or whatever, just like everyone else here I'm only trying to throw in my own "improvements" if I am so lucky...

The reason I even bring this up here is because of the collection of minds that's gathered around dd's grow who are lets face it much smarter than myself to bounce things off of and give the credit where the credit's due.

O

OregonMeds

The most important factor in dwc is being able to maintain nutrient temps...i guess same with just top feed.
I have plans to try it this summer if i can control the nute/root temps.
bought some true 1/4" hose for top feed and 24 high end air stones,and i will be using an air pump.
I don't feel there is a need to go to larger bottom buckets because of the lack of heat units up here.
15 gal will do fine.
We'll see if i actually do it.

I would have thought so, but I have seen outdoor pics of plants in the soil that could tower over a house and that won't happen in only 15 gallons based on my experience it wll only happen if more can be done to up the root mass as big as possible. In the wild a pine tree etc has a root mass as large as it's top...
I know we aren't growing pine tree's but...

Lets say you veg indoors to 7' or even more, then manage to put it out at the start of our season already a monster. I didn't, but lets say...
It would be pretty simple to get to 7' and beyond just ebb and flow or anything using a 5 gallon bucket as the net pot.

This is something we should have already learned from dd's work I would think.

Yes/No?

I won't be limited to choosing a strain that yields well but stays indoor sized remember...

O

OregonMeds

as i mentioned in my post we don't get the same heat units way up north here and 15 gal will do fine...krusty buckets are only 5 gallons they do fine,the tubs are 3 times that volume yes i would be using bigger containers if i lived way down south.

Oops I edited after you answered...Preveg to 7' indoors before start of our season even begins...

Make any difference in your opinion?

Thanks for helping btw...

O

OregonMeds

BTW if this works out, which I'm pretty confident on my theory already since dd proved half of it, it wasn't fair to call this "just top feed" northone, it's not top feed at all it's water jet injected straight into the root ball via the manifold inside the barrel which is top fed.

The manifold takes a high pressure water/air jet mixture flow which shoots straight into the water in the top of the barrel and turns it into exactly what the plant should be able to handle and puts it wherever we want by evenly distributing it rather than just blowing the shit out of roots in one hard jet, or rather than just dumping into the top. Waterfall good, water jet better. As if you could plant a tree in the base of a 100' tall waterfall in the wild right at the most aerated spot without the flow ripping it apart top and bottom.

Not sure if anyone will really "get it" until I do a mock up.

I'll get there, just requires more research first. The concept is simple enough if dd could offset previous air requirements of krusty buckets with waterfalls while at the same time upping the volume of the container and getting better results then it stands to reason that a properly designed air/water jet injection system should go the extra step to eliminating the air pump entirely. Well that and drippers would all feed off the same top feed before the manifold so I really eliminate a lot if I pull this off. Theory isn't worth shit though real world so we'll see.

See my thinking? I don't even care if I can never take advantage of it here, it just seems to me to be that "next logical step" on that side of the design. Should be a few people going maybe, why didn't I think of that?
It's not necessary indoors but maybe for outdoors/larger root mass. In fact it may suck indoors because it'll be flat loud and take even further work to quiet the water jet sound. Take a garden hose and bucket and spray the water jet into the bucket on high, that's how loud.

My theory will get the backseat outside in my shitty weather if it works on not though because of dd's work, still right with you folks on my indoor.

Want to buy my design? I-800-broke-dude Operators are standing by.
:banana1sv6:

O

OregonMeds

Yea, much easier unless you happen to have the vertical height for a stupid tall ass 55 gallon drum indoors in your perfect warehouse under your trees. You'd need a ladder to do anything anymore then too.

Of course a person could cut them shorter for small things inside rather than using bins at all, or flip them on their sides. They're strong cheap and plentiful and about the right volume for anything depending on what size you chop it to.

O

OregonMeds

Oh I didn't take it personally or wrong or anything just trying to further explain the idea really.

If you haven't noticed I'm lost in my head at the moment.

O

OregonMeds

I am wondering if there is any value to the skimming effect possible with this design. I can use it or avoid it, either way but here is what it can do:

A protein skimmer or foam fractionator is a device used mostly in saltwater aquaria to remove organic compounds from the water before they break down into nitrogenous waste. It is a common piece of equipment in modern saltwater fish tanks and reef tanks. Protein skimming is the only form of filtration that physically removes organic compounds before they begin to decompose, lightening the load on the biological filter and improving the water's redox potential.

Could that action have any benefit or should I avoid it regardless of nutrient? Roots do constantly break down, I can take that organic material all away on a much finer level than screening it and keep it from affecting the ph etc.

L

Lost

Nope, not going to help out.

I talked about doing a 55 gallon drum dwc a year or two back before I got banned from RUI, Honestly, I think the simple method would work best.

Sink it into the ground, it will keep the barrel under 70 degrees, maybe cooler. Run air to it, your probabbly going to need a hi-blo just for the one barrel (they water depth is so deep it takes a huge pump to get the air down there. And put in a 75 gph pump for top feed. Issues would be refilling and changing nutes, as well as contamination. I cannot imagine the setup being clean enough to keep critters out of the res.

You could use the top feed pump to empty the res,, and use the pump line to fill it back up.
Good luck :)

O

OregonMeds

Thanks lost. I have a spare air pump for my indoor grow so no problem it's an option and I can always chop the barrel down.
In fact now that you mention it I may just throw air in from the start and go back and forth between injector jets and air until pumping air no longer adds anything. I can keep pulling my parts out and improving it easier if needed that way I guess, and keep the plant going and just compare progress quicker.

thanks...

"the water depth is so deep it takes a huge pump to get the air down there"

Exactly why I'm screwing around with an oversized tall barrel, it might not make more sense for growing, the plants may even give up growth rate against deep pressure I don't know, but with a tall barrel it will help prove or disprove my idea quicker because water doesn't care about depth, water pulls the air down into the jet in my plan rather than pushing against it so this is worst case scenario for aerating a garden. If I make it work on this it'll work anywhere.

Will my plant get contaminated outside etc, even live at all? I really couldn't care less, someone will probably steal the thing anyway. I'll lay her down and throw a greenhouse over her and scrog her but still I bet it's gone already, stolen in advance.

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
i saw this thread and went to hurt this down for you as obs tried this and said it was not worth it. check this out you might was to just veg them big and put them in the ground. check the bottom of the first page.

O

OregonMeds

Thanks Cracker, but is that the thread you meant to show me because I'm already a poster on that thread , number 15, and he didn't try it just someone said no it won't help 2 pages and thread dies.

Nothing happens there.

C

Cheeseus

FWIW You need to bury the 55 to keep temps down as others have said. What i have found out is you are limited by genetics. Plants will only get so be so big. IE if you put out a clone and a three foot plant they will usually end up the same size if the conditions are optimal.

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
lol my bad... i didnt notice you there. i just wanted to show you where obs tried this outdoors but said he got more yield just planting in the ground.

Top Bottom