Switched lights and plants don’t seem to like it

• Thread starter FlatheadFisherman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

I just swapped out lights after Customs finally released the grow light I’ve been waiting on since Feb 9th. Was running a Spider Farmer 600 which is only 75 watts to a Mammoth 6 bar light that’s 630 watts and it seems to have shocked the girls. Still in veg so I’m hoping it doesn’t stew them up completely. I was running full strength on an 18/6 schedule and everything seemed great til I made the swap. I’m wondering if the sudden change in wattage was the reason? I did back down the strength of the light today hoping that helps.
Hoping someone can give me some advice. Leaves just don’t seem as perky and noticing some discoloration.

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

What’s your PAR? Without knowing your light’s intensity your shooting in the dark.
Suggestion, start your light’s intensity way low 25% max, then observe your plant’s reaction.

I made many mistakes when I started indoors, first using a LUX meter to get a handle on my light’s intensity was a weak way to get an idea, which I do not embrace. Finally bought a PAR meter (what a revelation) now I no longer worry bout burning my plants. It takes the mystery out of a major aspect of indoor productive growing

FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

What’s your PAR? Without knowing your light’s intensity your shooting in the dark.
Suggestion, start your light’s intensity way low 25% max, then observe your plant’s reaction.

I made many mistakes when I started indoors, first using a LUX meter to get a handle on my light’s intensity was a weak way to get an idea, which I do not embrace. Finally bought a PAR meter (what a revelation) now I no longer worry bout burning my plants. It takes the mystery out of a major aspect of indoor productive growing
Another grower just told me the same thing so I backed the light way down. In hindsight I guess I should have taken the increase in wattage and started low and slow. Don’t have a PAR meter yet. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

Here’s the PAR rating that they sent.

D01418BC 02D2 434F 8C32 7510AB5F70BD
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Another grower just told me the same thing so I backed the light way down. In hindsight I guess I should have taken the increase in wattage and started low and slow. Don’t have a PAR meter yet. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!
PAR is important, but just dim it down. The plants are your PAR meter, when you're trying to determine what is too bright for them.

Cut it back to 50%. In a week or so, when you have new leaves that have not had the shit burned out of them, gradually increase it. If leaves start to "pray," or the leaf edges start turning up, back it down a percentage point.

FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

Thanks for the input. The leaves are doing exactly that. Didn’t know it was referred to as ‘praying’ but pretty accurately describes what they’re doing. I did order a PAR meter, so I can at least check to see if the quoted levels are anywhere near what they claim. I’ve always been a ‘better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it’ person. I’ve got a lot already invested and want to do things correct when I can.
I’ve made quite a few mistakes getting going again. Sure do appreciate all the help from y’all.

FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

Well my PAR meter showed up today. Right now it’s showing in the upper 200s in the center down at plant height for the clones and mid 300s further up on the taller plants. What ranges should I be looking for?

S

sjs1488

Well my PAR meter showed up today. Right now it’s showing in the upper 200s in the center down at plant height for the clones and mid 300s further up on the taller plants. What ranges should I be looking for?
Sorry new I have the photone app it does lux and par how reliable is that do u know and also I have a Google pixel 6pro so my camera is really good and what lux parameters are best in what stages I've looked it up but can't find a real good answer

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Sorry new I have the photone app it does lux and par how reliable is that do u know and also I have a Google pixel 6pro so my camera is really good and what lux parameters are best in what stages I've looked it up but can't find a real good answer
Cob lux distance watttage

G

GoldenDragon

Keep it at that for afew days. Once they adjust then dial it up a touch. I think about 4-500 should be the top end in veg unless you have all the parameters spot on and can work the vpd, some people can push them even more with additional co2 levels. But as you are and while you get used to the light stick to slightly under than bordering on over. You might even find 2-300 is fine till they grow some size. Some of those led lights are very powerful and sounds like you have a very strong light.

T

THC.4ME

L

FlatheadFisherman

FlatheadFisherman

Figured I’d give everyone that took the time to help me out. Plants bounced back once I dialed the light way back. Chalk that one up to my own stupidity. They went into flower on the 1st and since I bought a PAR meter I can now dial it up as I go and know how much the increase is.
I didn’t anticipate how much water they would consume so I hope I caught that in time and will adjust when I do nutrient changes. I include some shots of the root system in the tubs as well.
Thanks again for all the help!

77388034 39DB 46A7 B035 02E483D7523C
080654C7 450C 4908 BC78 1D7CE2410C9E
451BAC91 8A60 476B 9C58 AB9D4958BFEB
Top Bottom